Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 26-06-22, 08:20   #1
DroneSpencer

Default TRLE: Kurtis Redemption

Hello everyone,
I can finally make an announcement about my upcoming long-term project. For me, this will be my biggest project so far and maybe the biggest project I will ever make.

I decided to continue the story of Kurtis Trent, which was left open in the TR AoD game. It is assumed that he survived being stabbed by Boaz. From this point in time will start my TRLE.

The idea for this TRLE is as follows

In the first chapter, a player needs to help Kurtis escape from The Cabal HQ. Once players escape the HQ, the adventure will turn back to classic tomb raiding as Kurtis lost his powers, and the next task is to gain them back.
As Kurtis survived his death, the lethal Boaz's stab, in this adventure, the player helps Kurtis in various places across the globe to search for "The Temple of Abaddon." This temple is located in each location, where supernatural forces guard a hidden part of the precious relic. Once escaped from The Cabal HQ, players alongside Kurtis will visit places like Greece, Siberia, China, Egypt, Mexico, and a place out of space and time.

Each of the adventures gives Kurtis another piece of the puzzle, which brings him closer to the answer to why he survived and also to regain his powers. The adventure will end in... Let's say this will be kept as a surprise for all of you until the very end.

Note: Abaddon is an Angel - Destroyer from the bible coming from "abad" standing for perish.

PROGRESS
Main Title -- 100%
Chapter 1 -- 100% (except of Beta testing)
Chapter 2 -- 70%
Chapter 3 -- 0% (ideas already in my head)
Chapter 4 -- 0%
Chapter 5 -- 0%
Chapter 6 -- 0%
Chapter 7 -- 0% (ideas already noted)

SCREENSHOTS
Chapter 1

In the picture, there are two 2D maps. First, level 1, called Awakening, contains 2 secrets and apx. 20 minutes of game time. The second level is called Aquatic Area - requiem as a symbolic reference to AoD. This level starts in small water-flooded tunnels, after which the main part of the level begins. Do not worry it is not a maze as most of the paths are closed and serve just as an atmospheric features. I did not post a third-level 2D map as it is 1st boss level, and it is only the corridor to the boss arena with one storage on the side of the corridor; thus, it is not attractive. The first chapter will offer you at least 1 hour of the adventure with 7 secrets in total.

TEASER / TRAILER
NONE SO FAR

What is left to be built from chapter 1?
- Voice acting (but this will be done at the end of the project, once all levels are built)
- Ending of level 3 to cut to level 4
- Few technical details

Last edited by DroneSpencer; 02-11-23 at 15:09.
DroneSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 06:26   #2
CheshireBitch

Sounds really cool !

Can't wait to see screenshots of the rooms !!
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 14:17   #3
DroneSpencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Sounds really cool !

Can't wait to see screenshots of the rooms !!
Thanks. A small showcase for all of you is possible. There is the main part of the second level Aquatic Area - requiem level.

First, the area is normal and dry, except for the water at the bottom. As I had no chance to use one huge creature as in TR AoD I put a few TR Chronicles creatures here. The task here will be to get aqualung and flood the area, which makes the ceiling entrance accessible.

Level 2 - Aquatic Area - requiem

Full showcase of Alpha 1.0 of level 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N1iYH5TDCs

Last edited by DroneSpencer; 08-07-22 at 13:25. Reason: Update in progress, avoiding 2 posts from me one under another
Old 03-11-22, 00:19   #4
DroneSpencer

Exclamation Progression of Kurtis Redemption

So, here is some update towards my Kurtis Redemption.
The first chapter is almost done, missing beta testing and voice acting. Both will be done once all maps are done. I do not want to annoy any of my BTesters and voice actors before I am almost done.

Right now working on levels 4 - 8 simultaneously as they are hub-satellite levels (similar to TR4 Coastal-Catacombs-Demetheus-Library)

My idea about levels is as follows:

Levels are already divided into the chapters mentioned above. The last level of each chapter is the boss level. I will be uploading alpha-showcase of whole levels on my YT. It will always be Alpha 1.0, so it may change a bit after beta testing. BEWARE OF SPOILERS HERE as it shows all the puzzles and stuff.

Cabal HQ
Level 01 - Awakening
Level 02 - Aquatic Research Area - Requiem
Level 03 - Super Soldier Awaken
Greece
Level 04 - Chateau of fallen warriors (hub to levels 5 - 8)
Level 05 - Temple of Atlas (satellite to level 4)
Level 06 - Temple of Poseidon (satellite to level 4)
Level 07 - Temple of Damocles (satellite to level 4)
Level 08 - Temple of Hades (satellite to level 4)
Level 09 - Caves of river Stix (satellite to level 4, hub to level 10)
Level 10 - Hadess domain (satellite to level 9)
Siberia
Level 11 - Prison (in the end, maybe more smaller maps)
Level 12 - Soviet facility (in the end, maybe more smaller maps)
China
Level 13 - China - Russian border
Level 14 - Underground temple of Xia dynasty
Level 15 - Emperors tomb
Egypt
Level 16 - Tomb of Anubis
Level 17 - Temple of Sobek
Level 18 - Tomb of Seth
Mexico
Level 19 - Intermezzo (Name will differ)
Level 20 - Temple of Ix Chel and Chac Chel
Level 21 - Tomb of Ah Puch
The Land Beyond
Level 22 - The Land Beyond (Similar to floating islands, but more dark and ominous, instead of green black-gray with slight yellow )
Level 23 - Temple of Abaddon

About Kurtis's abilities, they are not just mere story things. I will be working with this via heavy scripting and plugins made by other creators to make this possible... For example, After completing chapter 1 and gaining 1st of the relics, Kurtis will be able to use his 1st ability - monkey bar to ladder dismount. So it will be possible to do more complex puzzles. (This is just an example, I will consider what ability it will be)

At this point is, my life on a very tight schedule so that any progress will be slow. At least I can think about puzzles and stuff in my head.
Old 03-11-22, 07:51   #5
Wolf 7

23 Levels???
Best of luck with this project Drone!!
Wolf 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 20:17   #6
DroneSpencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 7 View Post
23 Levels???
Best of luck with this project Drone!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroTheGamer View Post
jesus...it is more bigger than sanguis virginis omg ,good luck with your project..sounds really interesting
Yeah, it is a kinda huge project... Thank you as well.

Last edited by DroneSpencer; 03-11-22 at 23:27.
Old 03-11-22, 21:08   #7
PedroTheGamer

jesus...it is more bigger than sanguis virginis omg ,good luck with your project..sounds really interesting
PedroTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 16:23   #8
DroneSpencer

Default Greece Progress

Copy of list of levels:
Greece
Level 04 - Chateau of fallen warriors (hub to levels 5 - 8)
Level 05 - Temple of Atlas (satellite to level 4)
Level 06 - Temple of Poseidon (satellite to level 4)
Level 07 - Temple of Damocles (satellite to level 4)
Level 08 - Temple of Hades (satellite to level 4)
Level 09 - Caves of river Stix (satellite to level 4, hub to level 10)
Level 10 - Hadess domain (satellite to level 9)
End of the copy

Chateau is more or less done; I need to do just a few finishing touches, add more objects for atmospheric effect, and script those jumps to Satellite levels.
The Hub level will take around 30 minutes to be completed.

The Temple of Poseidon is the first and now the only fully completed Satellite level in this section. Playing with the aspects of Poseidon -- water, this level will be full of it, and I believe you will enjoy it. The Temple of Poseidon will be completable in 25 minutes. This time should be similar for all upcoming Temple sections built in the following weeks.

Temple of Atlas is more or less self-explanatory, the same as the other remaining levels. I am halfway through this level, so finishing it should not take long.

As the other Temple levels should be precise, where in Hades I will be playing with fire, and in Damocles with blades and spikes, trying to stick with the mythology as much as I can, I feel like the real fun begins with Caves of river Stix. According to mythology, the river Stix made Achilles immortal. I will use this to the advantage of the river Stix in my level to do some puzzles requiring the temporal immortality provided by contact with river Stix. This temporary immortality will allow players to get through places otherwise not accessible.

Last but not least, the second boss level is the Hadess domain. The boss will be the big doggo of Hades, Cerberos. About the battle, I got a few ideas about how the boss will be unique, so it is not just mere shooting, but this I will keep as a secret for the fact of some scripting, so I will see what I will manage to do in the end.

If everything goes according to plan so far, the game will be around 4 hours long (1 hour for chapter 1 and 3 hours for chapter 2)

I will provide you with the next update by the end of February with some screenshots; till then, good luck with your projects, and Happy New Year.
Old 03-01-23, 20:42   #9
CheshireBitch

wow ! sounds huge !!

you seem to make great progress !!
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-23, 10:37   #10
DroneSpencer

Default Important update

Hello everyone
I was busy last months, finals for my uni studies and plenty stuff to do around.

This project is not dead.

Thanks to you community and mainly ChocolateFan who figured out how to fix crucial error in my TRLE.

Kurtis Redemption continues