Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 17-01-20, 13:16   #121
DragonSlayer

Apart from Doctor McCoy who is the only character they got right in the JJ Star Trek movies I don't like any of the other characters.

Especially Benedict Cumberbatch's character.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 08:06   #122
HarleyCroft

Unhappy

I'm really enjoying the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina but the main character.. urgh. I'm not liking the actress in the role at all. She's so smug about everything and all the other characters are constantly kissing her ass.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 05:29   #123
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I'm really enjoying the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina but the main character.. urgh. I'm not liking the actress in the role at all. She's so smug about everything and all the other characters are constantly kissing her ass.
For me it's Harvey I don't like this character he is too shallow and immature. Also I'm not a big fan of Tom who seems to be the LGBT character of the show and sure the whole persecution in the first part was well done but the way they used the change le name etc was rushed and feel forced in my opinion.

Last edited by Ellioft; 24-01-20 at 05:32.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 07:05   #124
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Also I'm not a big fan of Tom who seems to be the LGBT character of the show and sure the whole persecution in the first part was well done but the way they used the change le name etc was rushed and feel forced in my opinion.
It does, but it's a teen show and I'm glad someone is talking about it. There are plenty of forced subplots and scenes and this topic in particular (which is uncommon) doesn't bother me at all, especially knowing who's the target audience. He is also taking an important role and I'm sure his and Rose's 'nature' would be even more relevant in the next seasons.

I like Harvey, I thought he would confront Sabrina but he ended up being a disappointment in season 2.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 08:57   #125
thabani33

Jar jar binks hands down
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 09:41   #126
Blackmoor

Data from Star Trek.

The way he looks, the way he talks, the epiphanies he has about what it means to be human / evolving AI.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 15:11   #127
DragonSlayer

Al Gore South Park The Stick of Truth, his endless messages about ManBearPig got annoying very quickly, I was so relieved when he unfriended me.

Roman Bellic GTA4 no Roman I don't want to go bowling.
Old 07-02-20, 19:48   #128
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Data from Star Trek.

The way he looks, the way he talks, the epiphanies he has about what it means to be human / evolving AI.
What have you got against Data that one character is better than every character on Star Trek Discovery with the exception of Ensign Tilly, every other character is either annoying or just very stupid, in one episode for reasons unknown a character intentionally released a creature that she knew killed the entire crew of another ship from confinement behind a forcefield and she was quickly beaten to death by the creature.

Clearly Discovery's version of Starfleet doesn't require it's officers to be intelligent.
Old 08-02-20, 00:19   #129
Blackmoor

I don't buy into him as what he is meant to be.

I don't like the way he looks, creepy and to my mind, implausible. If they ever make androids in the future they won't make them looking like that I'm pretty sure. I get that they're trying to show an imperfect attempt at creating a human look with the technology they have in that world, but even taking that into consideration, I think they'd make an attempt to make an attractive representation of a human including no yellow eyes.

I know they probably have a whole backstory of how he is in his creator's image or someone beloved by his creator but I don't buy it. They just wrote that because they have to explain why he looks not particularly attractive because of the actor they used. And because of the main theme running for his character............

He is Pinnochio and the Captain is his adoptive human father and it's one continual making the wooden toy into a human boy story without any genuine profoundness because it's so gooey and sentimalised.

I think that the way they represent him as ultra logical is mundane and never feels like he is genuinely an artificial intelligence. It always feels like he is a man pretending to be a robot learning to be a real man.

The film Ex Machina was a much better version of portraying this. Whereas in the AI had to convince the human it was human (or as good as) in order to manipulate him to free it (and in so doing also passing the Turing Test). However, the film demonstrates that despite passing that test (being indistinguishable from human to another human and able to elicit compassion in a human) that it wasn't human. And what I think made that particular film excellent was that at the end as the AI coldly leaves her liberator to die, you get a very definite sense that despite being to all intents and purposes human, seeming to be human-like, it was indeed a different entity. Behind that human appearance and actions, it was a genuine artificial intelligence.

Of course I don't hold Star Trek up to achieving this kind of nuance but to me it's portrayal of Data is so gooey and sentimentalised and so lacking genuine profoundity that I can't take it or him seriously.

As for the rest of the crew, yeah some of them are terrible too but they're just humans being humans. Data is part of the sci fi of this sci fi series.

And I just don't like the actor or storyline (Pinnochio bits).
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 13:42   #130
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I don't buy into him as what he is meant to be.

I don't like the way he looks, creepy and to my mind, implausible. If they ever make androids in the future they won't make them looking like that I'm pretty sure. I get that they're trying to show an imperfect attempt at creating a human look with the technology they have in that world, but even taking that into consideration, I think they'd make an attempt to make an attractive representation of a human including no yellow eyes.

I know they probably have a whole backstory of how he is in his creator's image or someone beloved by his creator but I don't buy it. They just wrote that because they have to explain why he looks not particularly attractive because of the actor they used. And because of the main theme running for his character............

He is Pinnochio and the Captain is his adoptive human father and it's one continual making the wooden toy into a human boy story without any genuine profoundness because it's so gooey and sentimalised.

I think that the way they represent him as ultra logical is mundane and never feels like he is genuinely an artificial intelligence. It always feels like he is a man pretending to be a robot learning to be a real man.

The film Ex Machina was a much better version of portraying this. Whereas in the AI had to convince the human it was human (or as good as) in order to manipulate him to free it (and in so doing also passing the Turing Test). However, the film demonstrates that despite passing that test (being indistinguishable from human to another human and able to elicit compassion in a human) that it wasn't human. And what I think made that particular film excellent was that at the end as the AI coldly leaves her liberator to die, you get a very definite sense that despite being to all intents and purposes human, seeming to be human-like, it was indeed a different entity. Behind that human appearance and actions, it was a genuine artificial intelligence.

Of course I don't hold Star Trek up to achieving this kind of nuance but to me it's portrayal of Data is so gooey and sentimentalised and so lacking genuine profoundity that I can't take it or him seriously.

As for the rest of the crew, yeah some of them are terrible too but they're just humans being humans. Data is part of the sci fi of this sci fi series.

And I just don't like the actor or storyline (Pinnochio bits).
I wasn't expecting such a long but well written reply.

In all the years I've been watching The Next Generation I've never thought of Data as Pinocchio even though I now recall and that's only because you mentioned Pinocchio that Commander Riker called him that in Encounter at Farpoint when they were in the Holodeck and I think Riker mentioned Pinocchio again when Data was taking part in the hearing to determine whether or not he was Starfleet property.

It wasn't until you mentioned it that I realised that I'd forgotten that Pinocchio ever existed, I had completely forgotten about Pinocchio up until last night.

I've always seen Data as a source of comic relief, from Data saying to Captain Picard that French was an obscure language to Data being trained by Spot instead of the other way round to asking why Lt Barclay was clandestinely being referred to as a vegetable, it's hard to pick one funny Data moment as there are so many of them,I did like his emergency flotation device scene in Star Trek Insurrection and let's not forget the extra long password from hell he entered when he hijacked (or should that be spacejacked) the Enterprise.

Data is in his own way funny even though he obviously lacks a sense of humour.