www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-02-20, 16:56   #29371
Samz
Relic Hunter

Anyone got that clip of that guy missing the jump at the landslide section but the game snaps him back to it? I want to show a friend it.
Old 16-02-20, 17:01   #29372
Heartache
Professor

i gotta say now replaying it and having no white ledges and no info prompts makes for a great experience
all the tombs and crypts are so good in this game i hope they keep what was good about shadow and dont just throw everything out the window like they like to do after the third game.
Old 16-02-20, 20:47   #29373
Slugly
Explorer

OMG
Rainbow Six Siege is doing a collab with CD. There is a Classic Lara elite skin for Ash !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcSf4Pn83_8
Slugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 20:50   #29374
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugly View Post
OMG
Rainbow Six Siege is doing a collab with CD. There is a Classic Lara elite skin for Ash !

Surprised! I thought reboot Lara was iconic.
I guess this proves CD doesn't have a vendetta against classic Lara.

_________

In all seriousness. This is the most badass Lara I've seen in so many years!

Last edited by SpyrosMonster; 16-02-20 at 22:19.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 21:07   #29375
SixtyfourPS4
Hobbyist

Default Trilogy comparison

I have finally finished "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" on maximum difficulty i.e. Deadly Obsession level straight off the bat as I did with the previous two games of this origin story trilogy and also with 100% completion as I did with the previous two games.

First of all, thank you to all the team as listed in the extensive credits after each game - you have all worked very hard to make a truly memorable gaming experience.

Thank you also to all the actors involved and special thank you to Camilla Luddington who was super nice to me in London Comic Con years ago for staying behind to make sure I got my signed poster when her comic con steward asked me to buy an autograph payment voucher resulting in me having to go away from her desk and queuing elsewhere for over an hour. Camilla is truly a nice person!

Comparing the three games in this trilogy, I would say that "Shadow" is truly the hardest with the longest gaps between save points especially in Cenote and "The Grand Caiman" DLC.

I would say that especially for Cenote and "The Grand Caiman", it was pulse poundingly exciting to do the final climbs and/or battles knowing that there would be a big back track to restart like games of old but however, it did get tedious and soul destroying after a while having to do e.g. the intense first battle in Cenote where Lara falls through the floor into a pit or the Grand Caiman fire trap timing puzzles over and over and over again.

Comparing the three games, the first game had the best balance between save and restart points and difficulty - at least checkpoints were preserved so the game remained difficult and therefore much more exciting while keeping frustration away. I felt sorry for the players who post on YouTube on e.g. the cenote pit fight that they just gave up the entire game because they couldn't progress.

It was also rewarding to carry over playing skills from the previous games e.g. the intense rapid vertical climbs towards the end of the first game to the finale of the third game, or the under ice stealth fighting from "Rise" to "The Path Home" DLC. This rewarded players who have played all three games and added to Lara's character development.

The final fight for "Shadow" I found was difficult on Deadly Obsession- I was maxed out on health at the start of each attempt and I beat Dominguez with only one heal pack remaining - which made for a really intense adrenaline filled finish and a wonderful memory. This made up for the relative ease of the final fights in the previous two games.

It is awkward I appreciate to set a difficulty level for the ending. Too easy then players ask why it was so, too hard then players get frustrated. Ideally the momentum of the excitement of the ending should be allowed to flow to the conclusion with moderate difficulty so to let players experience the rush and urgency of the final battle but not too hard to let tedium set in.

Minor quibbles would be the collision detection on the wall to wall jumps needing pick axes to register with the new climbing wall section. On the final level and a few other ones earlier in the game, it is ironic if Lara climbs to the uppermost corner of the climbing wall before jumping, this makes it impossible for her to reach the target climbing wall and I found that if Lara starts jumping just a bit lower down, she has greater chance of success.

However, I loved the combat sections - they were as exciting as ever. More puzzles are what most fans wanted though I loved the previous two games more for the intense fighting so I am in the minority here.

If I had one wish, then I would wish for the acting cast to record a short congratulatory video which plays at the end of the game for all those who complete the game on the maximum difficulty level and achieve 100% completion because those of us who stuck through the game through all the crushing defeats to emerge victorious, a couple of minutes from the cast would be wonderful reward.

Again, thanks again to all the team and cast who made these games. It was epic.

Last edited by SixtyfourPS4; 16-02-20 at 21:11.
SixtyfourPS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 21:29   #29376
$@Ssio
Student

Quote:
OMG

Why can’t we have THIS in Tomb Raider?!?
$@Ssio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 21:50   #29377
Slugly
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
Surprised. I thought reboot Lara was iconic.
I guess this proves CD doesn't have a vendetta against classic Lara.

_________

In all seriousness. This is the most badass Lara I've seen in so many years!
They clearly don't hate her lol

Tbh I don't see Lara, I just see Ash dressed as Lara ! Must be because I play R6 a lot. I'm gonna buy it. It costs 15€ haha

Quote:
First of all, thank you to all the team as listed in the extensive credits after each game - you have all worked very hard to make a truly memorable gaming experience.

Thank you also to all the actors involved and special thank you to Camilla Luddington who was super nice to me in London Comic Con years ago for staying behind to make sure I got my signed poster when her comic con steward asked me to buy an autograph payment voucher resulting in me having to go away from her desk and queuing elsewhere for over an hour. Camilla is truly a nice person!
You're so lucky, I wish I could meet her too ! I'm sure she's very nice

Quote:
It was epic.

I agree
Old 16-02-20, 21:59   #29378
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Tbh I don't see Lara, I just see Ash dressed as Lara ! Must be because I play R6 a lot. I'm gonna buy it. It costs 15€ haha
15€ for a DLC costume? Jesus Ubisoft, your microtransactions are just transactions at this point!

----

Anyways, it's still much more of a ToO Lara costume then a proper classic one, and with a surprisingly baggy top. Even reboot Lara uses more fitted clothes.
Old 16-02-20, 22:21   #29379
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
They clearly don't hate her lol

Oh wow, so that's another game character just dressed as Lara? I had no idea!
I guess outfits and pistols DO have an importance after all.

(to me at least.)
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 22:47   #29380
Slugly
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
Oh wow, so that's another game character just dressed as Lara? I had no idea!
I guess outfits and pistols DO have an importance after all.

(to me at least.)
Yes, It's Ash from Rainbow Six Siege. They didn't change her face and she already had a braid ( but she has red hair in her normal outfit ).
The dual pistols are not usable by the way, it's just for the end of game animation. She only uses one handgun and an assault riffle in game.

Quote:
15€ for a DLC costume? Jesus Ubisoft, your microtransactions are just transactions at this point!
Yep, it's very expensive. And it doesn't even have gameplay perks ( thankfully ). It's just a costume

Last edited by Slugly; 16-02-20 at 22:48.