www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 17-02-20, 03:58   #29381
za.parry
Hobbyist

Does anybody have any knowledge of the different iterations of Shadows story? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the narrative had been rewritten a few times, especially when it got into the hands of Eidos. I feel like the story that seems to be expressed in the CGI trailer is more akin to CDs vision but who knows.
Old 17-02-20, 23:37   #29382
xspacedude
Archaeologist

I know from the magazine posted on this forum that rourke wasnt part of the story and they decided to add him to make a balance between him and Amaru bc they thought Amaru was too much of a good guy. And from the mocap sessions for the rooftop scene, Lara was supposed to find out Dominguez killed richard on their first encounter.
xspacedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-20, 16:33   #29383
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I just hope we get a somewhat stronger story in the next game.
Old 19-02-20, 04:26   #29384
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
I just hope we get a somewhat stronger story in the next game.
One that doesn't shift and change all the time. It needs to be a single story with one single focus. Shadows story was way too all over the place. It would have been much better if they stuck with what they had in the beginning with the tsunami.
Old 19-02-20, 04:46   #29385
Heartache
Professor

i always feel like there is a big quality drop from the beginning of shadow to the middle and end section. the whole mexico section feels so thought out. all the dialogue doesnt seem to be the very first draft and characters act more real and after a while all falls downhill and they go back to the blandest characters with the blandest dialogues.

shadow shouldve been in active developement for another 12 months. i mean they patched it for quite a while but its clear that not the full team doesnt stay behind. patches barely did anything from the game, i think even more stuff broke and most stuff was never attempted to be fixed
Old 19-02-20, 05:59   #29386
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I think if Shadow was delayed and released at another time then the game probably would have been more successful. Especially if they properly marketed the game instead of doing those closed door events.

One thing I will say is how unfair Shadow was treated by the developers. Compared to 2013 and Rise, Shadow was not handled with the same amount of care as the other two reboot titles. While Shadow expanded on a lot of things, it just didn't feel like it was all it was meant to be in the end.

Can't say I'm positive the future will be better. Especially after the DLC 8 nonsense or the outfit restriction not really being lifted.
Old 19-02-20, 06:47   #29387
Shing
Student

Finally started the game. Saw some videos, read things on forum, but i wasn't spoilered or anything.
I play on hard/hard. I think the difficulty name was One with jungle.

Many times I found myself saying, "wow i'm actually playing a TR game". Rope mechanics, no white parts (and it works perfectly without it), proper swimming, the whole level design felt very good so far. I think it has the better part of survivor elements, crafting from Rise (these things barely worked in TR2013), better atmosphere/story parts from 2013 AND classic, but at least LAU gameplay elements.

But i just finished the young Lara part and started my first optional tomb.

So far, even if it will be weaker later, it's worth it.

There was a debate about graphics too. Looking and videos i didn't find it so fancy either. But it definietly looks better than Rise. PC max settings, but disabled AA and RT effects. No wonder this is one of the first games to run better with DX12. It's full of objects and details, the vegetation is amazing, water too.
Also i always turn music volume higher in games. Evertyhing was on max so i lowered sfx/voices instead. I advise this to everyone, because the music is still not too loud and i think it's great.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 07:00   #29388
Heartache
Professor

tomb wise it only gets better so dont worry about that. the whole no white paint and no help prompts is amazing and feels like a real exploration. just the story seems to be botchered in the later half like they ran out of time
Old 19-02-20, 07:25   #29389
EzioMaverick
Explorer

Something i have been working on lately.

Full Res.
https://i.imgur.com/hjs5OZR.jpg

Last edited by EzioMaverick; 19-02-20 at 07:28.
EzioMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 16:42   #29390
Leon2703
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
i always feel like there is a big quality drop from the beginning of shadow to the middle and end section. the whole mexico section feels so thought out. all the dialogue doesnt seem to be the very first draft and characters act more real and after a while all falls downhill and they go back to the blandest characters with the blandest dialogues.
I agree, and tbh I believe that has a lot to do with Paititi.

The change from Mexico to Peru, the mixture of the cultures, Trinity’s leader being paititian, the fetch quests, the outfits and outfit restriction, cringe characters and dialogue, etc. Paititi took all the focus from where there should have been... They had to shoehorn it in the game which resulted in a mess of everything. Such a wasted potential.