Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 22-11-19, 16:24   #21
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
I wouldn't say one media outlet I've never heard of validates that opinion.

It's a fun game and there are some things I'd love to see added to TR, but it's funny to see people completely dismiss an entire trilogy just because of some added exploration
Polygon also came to that conclusion and lot of people are making comparisons to Tomb Raider, especially classic tomb raider given how large the tombs are in Star Wars and the traps and precious platforming that used to be in the classic games.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...ed-tomb-raider

Last edited by charmedangelin; 22-11-19 at 16:26.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 15:50   #22
JayB18

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Polygon also came to that conclusion and lot of people are making comparisons to Tomb Raider, especially classic tomb raider given how large the tombs are in Star Wars and the traps and precious platforming that used to be in the classic games.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...ed-tomb-raider
Well there are 2 large tombs with backtracking and great level design, lots of puzzle solving and a few traps. There is small 3rd tomb with no puzzles or exploration really. There is however a large temple area like the large tombs except the puzzles are located in a small area at the beginning. The rest of it is more traversal and exploration focused. Still a great area though.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 01:31   #23
Evil Doggos

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Just came to say that the media agrees that the game feels much more like a true Tomb Raider game than anything the reboots had to offer.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2019/1...b-raider-game/
Ouch. I guess rebooters will always be met with scrutiny by old fans with this link alone.
Evil Doggos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 01:33   #24
Evil Doggos

Since Fallen Order is praised by many, should these devs be the front runners for making the next Tomb Raider?
Evil Doggos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 17:04   #25
Daft Raider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doggos View Post
Since Fallen Order is praised by many, should these devs be the front runners for making the next Tomb Raider?
If Fallen Order is anything to go by, absolutely. Clearly they can do a better job than CD/EM and they weren't even trying lol.

I'm really enjoying my playthrough tho, but this game is definitely not without faults. Is anyone else distracted by the main characters noodle legs? Why is his general movement so weird? It's like his body sits just a little bit too low sometimes so he's running in a squat, and his legs look like they are contently trying to catch up with his body. It's so distracting to me!

I also wish the combat borrowed more from DMC than Dark Souls, I enjoy the combat for what it is, perhaps it'll be easier when I unlock more skills, but if there's multiple enemies crowding around me it's practically impossible to balance all of them. The character also feels REALLY slow and feels like he has zero range. They could've helped this if he would run during combat instead of constantly walking.

But those issues aside I love this game so far, the environments are fantastic. The tombs are really cool, I was stumped on a puzzle for at least a half and hour last night and it was incredible, when I stumbled onto a solution I had that "OOOHHH" moment, which I haven't had in a long time. I can't wait to play more!
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 17:13   #26
Portugalraider

Quote:
Ouch. I guess rebooters will always be met with scrutiny by old fans with this link alone.
Not saying anything about Fallen Order itself, because for what I've seen it seems indeed like the direction I have been saying Tomb Raider should take, but that article also seems to suggest that SotTR is somehow the game that has become too much like a shooter, when it is the game with less combat and more mandatory puzzle solving of the three, so...

Quote:
Also no because Respawn is owned by EA, and Tomb Raider is still very much property if EA. And I don't want EA anywhere near even EA's own franchise's, let alone Tomb Raider.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 22:40   #27
jarekhanzelka

Beat this a couple of nights ago and thought it was a solid 7.5/10 at best. Incredibly pleasant right off the start, but the more I played, the less I was into it, and the more bothered I was by the plethora of bugs and general clunkiness. There's also a couple of moments reeking of absolute laziness/low competency. And the combat is basically a poor man's Sekiro clone. The final mission is certainly the icing on the cake here, I haven't seen something as outdated as ridiculous waves of all the same enemies in a AAA game in eons. Actually forced me to switch from the second highest to the easiest difficulty I was so fed up with it. But despite it all I can't deny I had fun, the game is mostly beautiful and truly atmospheric, it just really isn't anything special.
jarekhanzelka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 21:31   #28
moodydog

I think I'm near the end of this game (I'm at the world that looks a bit like Hell, where you can actually visit early on). I'm really enjoying it, a lot! I actually do think it does many stuff better than the current Tomb Raider games. However I don't think it does the Soulsbourne/ Metroidvania stuff as well. In fact, I would say the attention to level design for Fallen Order is nowhere near as refined, polished or as intelligent as I feel it should be for a game that is embedded in this multi-path/ unlock shortcut genre.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 21:46   #29
OrangeJuice

im really enjoying this game so so much. the gameplay is so fluid and addicting and cal is really just such a well-made protagonist: he's not the stereotypical macho man protagonist but he's still very likable and distinct.

just reached the tree of origin and im scared i might be approaching the end of the game. can anyone deny/confirm my fears? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
In fact, I would say the attention to level design for Fallen Order is nowhere near as refined, polished or as intelligent as I feel it should be for a game that is embedded in this multi-path/ unlock shortcut genre.
really? where do you think it fails at that? asking genuinely bc i think the way the levels make you backtrack and reconnect areas between each other is very nice - although i guess there's always room for improvement lol.

Last edited by OrangeJuice; 06-12-19 at 21:48.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 22:22   #30
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
im really enjoying this game so so much. the gameplay is so fluid and addicting and cal is really just such a well-made protagonist: he's not the stereotypical macho man protagonist but he's still very likable and distinct.

just reached the tree of origin and im scared i might be approaching the end of the game. can anyone deny/confirm my fears? lol

really? where do you think it fails at that? asking genuinely bc i think the way the levels make you backtrack and reconnect areas between each other is very nice - although i guess there's always room for improvement lol.
One big clue is in the use of the map. Early on (like in the first proper world), the map was simple enough that you could navigate without the use of the map. It felt like you could "explore" your way back. Later on, just due to how the game is designed, despite trying to severely limit use of the map, I found myself have to use it as a form of compass navigation to let me know where I need to go, and which pathway to follow. By contrast, Soulsbourne is deceptively linear, in that despite being many different world paths, there is usually one, and only one way to progress. Yes you can choose and optimise your own world path (you can visit later areas early on if get brutalised if you wanted to), and visit different areas before others, but any deviations within these areas typically take you to the same place. Its world design is really smart... geometrically.

Interesting point about backtracking. I think the back tracking in Fallen Order is a little weak. It's essentially always "Head back to the ship"... and if you're miles out, that's a long trek back. Here is where the game forces your reliance on the map to navigate. This is where some smarter implementation of the shortcuts should have come in. I guess in Dark Souls, there is a lot of backtracking, but it's always incidental, and technically you're always progressing forwards. You only really backtrack consciously when you're farming, otherwise you just stumble across a shortcut that takes you back to that all important bonfire/ lampost/ very start of the game. It's fantastic. I haven't really felt this in Fallen Order. It's like it's aware of all these concepts, but hasn't best implemented them.

Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY enjoying the game. It's definitely one of my favourite games this year. But it does have its issues... and that is just one of them. Also... despite being much more of a Tomb Raider game than current Tomb Raiders, I still think that the next Tomb Raider can be more Tomb Raidery than this!

Last edited by moodydog; 06-12-19 at 22:28.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote