Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-07-23, 21:15   #1
renspyro

Default Gex Trilogy Announced by Limited Run Games

Now this is something i didn't see coming

Quote:
Were you expecting someone else?

Tail time is imminent. Through the science of the Carbon Engine, Gex fans will be able to revisit Gex, Gex: Enter the Gecko, and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko on modern systems for the first time!

Don't touch that dial! Limited Run will have more news to share about the Gex Trilogy later!
This is a collaboration between Limited Run Games and Square Enix, so it looks like CD didn't take their Gecko with them after they departure to Embracer Group .

Funny enough, Gex got their Trilogy Remastered even before than TR , but I'm really happy because I liked Gex a lot back in the day, can't wait to see if is just a PS1 port to the Carbon Engine or an actual Remaster.
renspyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-23, 21:19   #2
Yuna´s Wish

They announced a lot of games at the same time.

Tomba and Clock Tower are also getting...

...ports (?)

I've seen nothing that suggests they're anything beyond that. But it's nice to see classics getting some love, even if it's just ports.
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 10:11   #3
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by renspyro View Post
This is a collaboration between Limited Run Games and Square Enix, so it looks like CD didn't take their Gecko with them after they departure to Embracer Group .
Someone said to me on Twitter as I'm questioning the same thing, but maybe this was in the making during Square-Enix's ownership of Crystal Dynamics. This is probably why they're credited. I do believe believe Crystal owns Gex but he wasn't mentioned by name in the press release of their acquisition, but they did mention over 50 back catalogue games.

Last edited by Jami393; 13-07-23 at 10:12.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 15:42   #4
rewak

I wonder if they'll have options for what Gex voice you want to use, we got different actors in the UK for 2 and 3.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 16:33   #5
renspyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Someone said to me on Twitter as I'm questioning the same thing, but maybe this was in the making during Square-Enix's ownership of Crystal Dynamics. This is probably why they're credited. I do believe believe Crystal owns Gex but he wasn't mentioned by name in the press release of their acquisition, but they did mention over 50 back catalogue games.
It's funny because with TR, practically once the purchase of Embracer was finalized, even the TR pages that still remained in the Square Enix domains already indicated that TR belonged to Crystal.

A year after the sale, Gex is still listed as owned by SE, however CD has Gex on their 30th Anniversary logo... Is it possible that Crystal owns Gex as a character, but they have lost the rights to the games and SE keeped them? Kinda weird situation since Gex was once the studio star and appeared in their logo.
renspyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 17:12   #6
rewak

The publishers of Fear Effect Reinvented said recently that SE are still overseeing development of that game even though Fear Effect was an Eidos title. I think it's got something to do with the Square Enix Collective, they might have retained whatever IPs got assigned to that which did include Gex and Fear Effect.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote