www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 08-02-20, 14:08   #131
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

How are you finding the new Star Trek Picard so far?

I'm loving it. In the last episode we were introduced to the new crew (or some of it) and there isn't one so far that I dislike or find annoying. And I like that they're renegade. It feels like a fair bit of thought has gone into the production of this newer ST.
Old 08-02-20, 14:28   #132
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post

I'm loving it. In the last episode we were introduced to the new crew (or some of it) and there isn't one so far that I dislike or find annoying. And I like that they're renegade. It feels like a fair bit of thought has gone into the production of this newer ST.
I haven't seen it yet but I can already tell that based on the trailers I've seen for Picard I'm going to like it a lot more than Discovery.

Discovery is really bad half the time is spent watching the poorly designed Klingons talk very slowly for what feels like hours and the rest of the time is spent on getting the spore drive working and was it really necessary for two of the characters to drop the f bomb, I'm not against people swearing in TV shows, movies and computer games but it just felt very out of place in Star Trek.

Other characters like Data saying oh was funny not so much in Discovery, swearing can be funny depending on who's doing it, I won't be watching Discovery any more it's nowhere near as good as the previous 5 TV shows.

The time loop episode was the last one I watched, there was an opportunity for the few that were aware of the time loop to do whatever they wanted without consequence like in the Stargate SG-1 episode Window of Opportunity when Daniel said to Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c that they could do whatever they wanted without having to worry about consequences because everything would go back to the way it was.

In short Discovery is way too serious and could benefit from an injection of humour, but I'll never know if that will happen, I'm done with Discovery.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 22:31   #133
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Discovery started well and then became a bit uninspired. I stopped watching it after the first season / early second season. I just forgot about it and then when I went back to it I found it a bit boring. Too serious is a good way to describe it.

I think you will really like Picard ST, it feels different but good different from a lot of previous Star Trek. It feels more realistic but not ultra serious navel gazing stuff. Although it is very early days so who knows whether that will continue.

Voyager was always my favourite previously (although a bit cheesy for today's kind of TV) but I have a feeling that Picard is going to replace it.
Old 08-02-20, 23:48   #134
Maverin
Archaeologist

Luke Skywalker from Star Wars.

His father Anakin was my favourite though.
Old 09-02-20, 12:59   #135
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Discovery started well and then became a bit uninspired. I stopped watching it after the first season / early second season. I just forgot about it and then when I went back to it I found it a bit boring. Too serious is a good way to describe it.

I think you will really like Picard ST, it feels different but good different from a lot of previous Star Trek. It feels more realistic but not ultra serious navel gazing stuff. Although it is very early days so who knows whether that will continue.

Voyager was always my favourite previously (although a bit cheesy for today's kind of TV) but I have a feeling that Picard is going to replace it.
Discovery needs to take a look at The Orville for how to do Star Trek properly, The Orville doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it infinitely better than Discovery, The Orville is more like Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery.

4 things that bother me the most in Discovery.

1 A puny human killing a Klingon warrior with one blow to the head, that's very unlikely a Klingon warrior would never be that easy to kill.

2 The reason the Klingons decided to declare war on Starfleet is lame, it's stupid that they decided to declare war because Starfleet deployed a communications relay, I know Klingons love a fight but going to war because of a communications relay is just really stupid.

3 The Federation ships being more advanced than Captain Kirk's Enterprise despite being set 10 years before The Original Series, the ships in Discovery have holographic communications technology, forcefields and the spore drive, Kirk's Enterprise never had any of that stuff.

4 Spock suddenly having a human sister when according to canon that existed prior to Discovery being made that Spock has no human siblings, Discovery is nothing more than a soap opera set in outer space, all that's missing is the EastEnders theme, for season 3 they will probably do an incest story between Spock and his sister.

The ships in Discovery aren't that great especially the Klingon ships, I don't like the Federation ships either, I don't think that the Federation ships class type has been mentioned on screen, I just call them the pizza cutter class.

Discovery should look back to previous Star Trek series for examples of fun, for example the episode of Star Trek Enterprise where the crew were obsessed with trivial matters like Lt Reed and what would become the tactical alert and Commander Tucker presumably sarcastically suggests that Lt Reed calls the tactical alert Reed alert.

That sound you hear is Gene Roddenberry turning in his grave because of what JJ Abrams or as I like to call him Jar Jar Binks and whoever is in charge of Discovery have done to Star Trek.

Only the first one in Jar Jar's trilogy was good, the second movie just copied stuff from Wrath of Khan and don't get me started on that unnecessary underwear scene, Jar Jar tried to address the controversy caused by that scene by showing a deleted scene of Khan using a shower as if that would somehow resolve the controversy, swapping a nearly naked woman for a guy in a shower was a strange way to try and address the controversy.

The third movie was really bad as was the bad guys reason for wanting to attack the Federation, I read somewhere since it wasn't made clear in the movie why he wanted to attack the Federation that the reason he wanted to attack the Federation was because his subspace email went unanswered by Starfleet an email that Starfleet never received and he thought that they had abandoned him, with the inclusion of the motorbike they might as well have named the movie Star Trek Fast and Furious Edition and have Dom Torreto and his team save the crew from themselves, and using a Beastie Boys song to destroy the alien fleet that's when the movie jumped the shark, I don't think a shark Is enough for the movie to jump over more like a whale and why would a motorbike be on a starship anyway they have shuttlepods and transporters which go a lot further than a motorbike.

The JJ movies are less Star Trek and more like Star Wreck.
Old 09-02-20, 15:14   #136
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

Quote:

I love Picard! In the last episode, I loved how proud the show was that they managed to get Patrick Stewart into a starship again.

It's a very interesting take on Star Trek. It's not trying to recreate the structure of old Trek shows at all, but I think it captures the feeling of some of the greatest TNG episodes better than anything else lately. In particular, it feels like going back to the very political episodes: Picard arguing with the admiralty, discussing the legal nature of Data, organising the succession of the Klingon empire, stuff like that.

After Logan, I think it's no surprise that Patrick Stewart is great playing an old man version of his earlier characters. But the rest of the cast is really growing on me as well, and the mystery and politics seem very intriguing.

Last edited by Cochrane; 09-02-20 at 17:42. Reason: Note to self: It's Stewart with a t at the end.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 19:15   #137
SnatchingEdges
Historian

I'm watching The Walking Dead season 4 (so no spoilers for the next seasons and stop reading if you haven't watched till this point) and good Lord I hate Glenn. He's probably worse than Carl.

He only knows about Maggie, Maggie and Maggie. Such a terrible character. Everyone risk their lives because he's all on Maggie. He literally wanted to jump from a bus being sick as hell because of Maggie. He barely could breath by himself and he wanted to go full Rambo.

I don't know why the writers turned the funniest character on the most boring one. The rest of the cast (Michonne, Carol, Carl, Rick...) have several, different dramas or plot points. Like Carol has Lizzie and Mica, Tyrese and Daryl's pseudo-romance, all 3 dramas in one character. Even Hershel had his duties as a doctor, his relationship with his daughters, he trying to educate Carl and also trying to cheer Rick up. For God's sake, he also was spreading his pacifist values. These characters have a lot to do, they are important and useful for the group. They mean a lot.

However, freaking Glenn is: Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. I have to rescue Maggie. I have to wonder the woods alone because of Maggie. Maggie, Maggie and Maggie. I'M DONE WITH MAGGIE.
Old 12-02-20, 00:26   #138
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I love Picard! In the last episode, I loved how proud the show was that they managed to get Patrick Stewart into a starship again.
"Engage...."

Quote:
It's a very interesting take on Star Trek. It's not trying to recreate the structure of old Trek shows at all, but I think it captures the feeling of some of the greatest TNG episodes better than anything else lately. In particular, it feels like going back to the very political episodes: Picard arguing with the admiralty, discussing the legal nature of Data, organising the succession of the Klingon empire, stuff like that.

After Logan, I think it's no surprise that Patrick Stewart is great playing an old man version of his earlier characters. But the rest of the cast is really growing on me as well, and the mystery and politics seem very intriguing.
I couldn't agree more, like I said above it all seems very well thought out, not just rushed to make a cash-in. I hope it continues in this way. I like that it is taking its time to set the scene, introduce us to the characters, universe, politics, intrigue and not everything is being rushed, I think it is at a pace that can be savoured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Discovery needs to take a look at The Orville for how to do Star Trek properly, The Orville doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it infinitely better than Discovery, The Orville is more like Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery.
Funnily enough I literally just watched an episode The Orville last week. I was so surprised at how remisicent it was of original Star Trek, it was strange!!

Quote:
4 things that bother me the most in Discovery.

1 A puny human killing a Klingon warrior with one blow to the head, that's very unlikely a Klingon warrior would never be that easy to kill.

2 The reason the Klingons decided to declare war on Starfleet is lame, it's stupid that they decided to declare war because Starfleet deployed a communications relay, I know Klingons love a fight but going to war because of a communications relay is just really stupid.

3 The Federation ships being more advanced than Captain Kirk's Enterprise despite being set 10 years before The Original Series, the ships in Discovery have holographic communications technology, forcefields and the spore drive, Kirk's Enterprise never had any of that stuff.

4 Spock suddenly having a human sister when according to canon that existed prior to Discovery being made that Spock has no human siblings, Discovery is nothing more than a soap opera set in outer space, all that's missing is the EastEnders theme, for season 3 they will probably do an incest story between Spock and his sister.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on these 4 points. Especially I don't like it when things are retconned for lame reasons like Spock having a sister......... really, can't they think of something new? It reminds me of all the TR family stuff.

And the ship being more advanced...... why don't they just put it after the Kirk's Enterprise in the timeline. I'm not really a fan of prequel-type stories anyway.

And for me, I didn't really like a lot of the characters. The main woman was ok for a few episodes then I lost interest in her, but most of the others didn't really grab me. I liked Ensign Tilly (same as you) but by season 2 it'd gotten pretty dull for me. The whole thing.

Regarding the Star Trek films, I liked the first one. Didn't care much about the second one, I'm not a Cumberbatch fan really so I wasn't thinking how great it was to have him in the film (ditto, the 3rd installment of The Hobbit). And the 3rd one, I can't even remember it properly now so I guess it didn't really grab me. I do however like most of the main cast members in the new films - Kirk, Scottie (although Pegg is a bit hammy in places), Spock, McCoy, Uhura. I think they chose pretty well for all of them.

Instead of a 4th film though I would like them to do a rebooted Star Trek Voyager film instead.....

Last edited by Blackmoor; 12-02-20 at 00:30.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 12:08   #139
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
"Engage...."

I couldn't agree more, like I said above it all seems very well thought out, not just rushed to make a cash-in. I hope it continues in this way. I like that it is taking its time to set the scene, introduce us to the characters, universe, politics, intrigue and not everything is being rushed, I think it is at a pace that can be savoured.

Funnily enough I literally just watched an episode The Orville last week. I was so surprised at how remisicent it was of original Star Trek, it was strange!!

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on these 4 points. Especially I don't like it when things are retconned for lame reasons like Spock having a sister......... really, can't they think of something new? It reminds me of all the TR family stuff.

And the ship being more advanced...... why don't they just put it after the Kirk's Enterprise in the timeline. I'm not really a fan of prequel-type stories anyway.

And for me, I didn't really like a lot of the characters. The main woman was ok for a few episodes then I lost interest in her, but most of the others didn't really grab me. I liked Ensign Tilly (same as you) but by season 2 it'd gotten pretty dull for me. The whole thing.

Regarding the Star Trek films, I liked the first one. Didn't care much about the second one, I'm not a Cumberbatch fan really so I wasn't thinking how great it was to have him in the film (ditto, the 3rd installment of The Hobbit). And the 3rd one, I can't even remember it properly now so I guess it didn't really grab me. I do however like most of the main cast members in the new films - Kirk, Scottie (although Pegg is a bit hammy in places), Spock, McCoy, Uhura. I think they chose pretty well for all of them.

Instead of a 4th film though I would like them to do a rebooted Star Trek Voyager film instead.....
I didn't like Spock and Uhura in the second movie especially when they are on the mission to apprehend Khan, they choose then of all times to bicker about their relationship, there is a time and a place for that stuff not when your trying to catch the guy who killed a lot of guys at Starfleet HQ, Captain Picard would have ordered them to shut up, if I'd been there I would have beamed them into space for some peace and quiet.

When they get back to the ship they could contact Jeremy Kyle over subspace and sort out their relationship or do us all a favour just end their relationship and spare us their bickering.

The only characters they got right were McCoy, Chekov and Sulu they were most like the characters from The Original Series the rest were not even close, Kirk was a drunken delinquent who should not have been allowed on board the Enterprise or be it's captain and he should have been court martialed for the loss of the Enterprise in Star Trek Beyond, it's mentioned in The Next Generation that when a ship is lost a captain is court martialed as a result, now that I think of it I don't recall Shatner's Kirk ever being court martialed over the loss of the Enterprise.

Chris Pine should stick to comedy he's not convincing as either Kirk or the captain of the Enterprise, Spock acted like a thug attacking Kirk, Uhura is whiny especially in the second movie, the only thing she did in the first movie was pout because she wasn't assigned to the Enterprise, Simon Pegg is not convincing as Scotty his Scottish accent is not that great it's up there with Tom Cruise's terrible Irish accent, Paul Mcgillion aka Dr Carson Beckett from Stargate Atlantis should have gotten the part of Scotty he did a far better Scottish accent than Simon Pegg.

One thing that never made sense in Star Trek was Captain Picard being court martialed over the loss of the Stargazer, Picard made the decision to abandon ship to save the crew because IIRC the life support went offline, I would have understood the decision to court martial him if some of his crew had died if he had not abandoned ship but not for losing the ship something he undoubtedly didn't want to do but something that he had to do, a ship can be replaced people's lives cannot be replaced.

Starfleet seems to care more about the ships than they do the ships crews, both are equally important IMO, a captain's duty is to his ship and crew but there are times when one has to take priority over the other for example when Geordie was left in command of the Enterprise in season 1, he had to make the decision to leave the planet when the ship was being attacked because of his responsibility to the more than 1000 people on the Enterprise.

A captain should only be court martialed if his actions lead to the loss of a ship, the Stargazer was lost after Picard was forced to abandon ship after a Ferengi ship attacked the Stargazer and the Enterprise-D was lost after the Duras sisters got the shield modulation that allowed their torpedoes to penetrate the Enterprise's shields which led to the warp core breach that destroyed the drive section, I think the warp core ejection system was still online but I'm not sure it's been a while since I watched Star Trek Generations, I just checked the memory alpha page for Generations and there is no mention of the warp core ejection system, if that system was offline couldn't they have just beamed the core off the ship, I know the Enterprise has one they repeatedly suggested that the core be ejected in the episode where the Enterprise was repeatedly destroyed, but that system was conviently not working at the time.

They should have tried to eject the core while at the same time evacuating the drive section just in case it didn't work or they could have done an emergency beamout and beamed everyone from the drive section to the saucer section in one go and potentially saved the saucer section had they been able to separate a few minutes earlier instead of separating with only one minute left before the core exploded and destroyed the drive section.

The Voyager crew did an emergency beamout when they transported aboard 200 Klingons at the same time so it can be done when necessary.

Also was evacuating the people in the drive section through the Jefferies tubes and up the ladders really the only way of evacuating the drive section, they could have used the turbolifts unless Starfleet follows the don't use the lift during an emergency rule.