www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 21-12-19, 03:49   #51
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i think the leather jacket outfit looks good on her. suits her form, even if it's a bit over-layered with a shirt, hoodie, and jacket.
That's probably why I dislike that skin. I think the hoodie kind of cheapens it and makes it look less stylish and feminine. It adds bulk, which we all know they love adding to this version of Lara.

The jacket on its own, it does look quite nicely tailored and flattering for a womens' jacket. I just hate the hoodie underneath.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-12-19 at 03:51.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 03:49   #52
Gemma Darkmoon
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Literally the only new skins introduced in Shadow that I like are the top two, Adventurer and Tactical Adventurer (and any re-colours of that). I also like the sporty one at the very bottom for a hypothetical Croft Manor level.

Of the ones returning from Rise, I like the desert tank, it looks better in black here than it did in grey in Rise. I've also always had a soft spot for that remnant jacket, it's actually a very shapely flattering jacket that gives her a nice feminine silhouette. Shame the jungle is not the place for that outfit. I never cared for the hensley t-shirts or military-style get-ups.

The rest, trash. Typical "we want to make such an obnoxiously clear statement of desexualisation that anything less than boxy, unflattering androgynous clothes, covered from neck to ankle, is too sexy". The "explorer" outfit would still be hideous even without the awkward boobsweat, she's dressed like a builder on his day off.
I feel pretty much that way too and the few outfits I do like in Shadow is almost exactly the same. Overall I think they did a pretty dismal job of Shadow's attire. Before there may have been a point in being patient with the devs playing around with the survivor concept attire and hoping better direction will come though. Judging by where that got us in Shadow there now seems no point sugar-coating. They need to get their head round that good outfit design isn't just about ringing a wet cloth to squeeze every last drop of sex appeal out. Going for desexualised as a design brief is always going to lead to a stifled outcome. Basically I am saying they should focus on creating designs that look on Lara first and foremost then they can always adapt them further down the process.
Gemma Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 07:06   #53
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Lara has nice outfits on in this game.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 07:41   #54
WitchBlade
Student

Guys just say it because ya'll dancing around the subject. Modern Lara lacks sex appeal and that's why ya'll feel the outfits suck.

BTW sex appeal doesn't mean make Lara nude. sometimes sex appeal can be simply making an outfit more curvy or tighter. Another example is they could have given her tight yoga pants but instead we got her in black crossfit gym pants with a flat ass.

Lastly, her outfits lack personality.
WitchBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 09:12   #55
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchBlade View Post
Guys just say it because ya'll dancing around the subject. Modern Lara lacks sex appeal and that's why ya'll feel the outfits suck.

BTW sex appeal doesn't mean make Lara nude. sometimes sex appeal can be simply making an outfit more curvy or tighter. Another example is they could have given her tight yoga pants but instead we got her in black crossfit gym pants with a flat ass.

Lastly, her outfits lack personality.
Well basically, yeah.

The reason we skirt around saying it so succinctly is because people can't see any balance on the topic. If someone simply says "I want more sex appeal", without elaborating, they get a barrage of assumptions. You're some sex-crazed teen "InCeL" who wants Lara to look like the girls from Mortal Kombat 9 or Dead or Alive or something.

I just want more balance. We can do "desexualised" without, as Gemma put it, squeezing every last drop of sex appeal out that is honestly just as dehumanising and misogynistic. In most cases classic Lara was honestly fine as she was. Teen underboob Lara I totally understand the criticism of that. However the way people talk about her, you'd think she was out here literally in bikinis, underboob, sideboob, ass flossing all the time when she just wasn't. It's annoying.

Like if a pair of legs in shorts are "too provocative" then God help you on a warm summer afternoon when girls everywhere dress like that. Pathetic.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-12-19 at 09:32.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 12:27   #56
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Like if a pair of legs in shorts are "too provocative" then God help you on a warm summer afternoon when girls everywhere dress like that. Pathetic.
It’s sillier when you notice Dominguez wears shorts in his “Kukulkan” attire, shorter than any of the ones Lara wears. A lot of the Paititian men are near butt naked too, but it’s not degrading or sexual, it’s part of their culture, so they know the difference, and I’m sure they could achieve stylish, flattering clothing if the Legend timeline’s unlockables are anything to go by.

It’s frustrating because you know they could do better, which is basically the problem people have with the reboot in a nutshell.
Old 21-12-19, 12:37   #57
WitchBlade
Student

Quote:
Well basically, yeah.

The reason we skirt around saying it so succinctly is because people can't see any balance on the topic. If someone simply says "I want more sex appeal", without elaborating, they get a barrage of assumptions. You're some sex-crazed teen "InCeL" who wants Lara to look like the girls from Mortal Kombat 9 or Dead or Alive or something.

I just want more balance. We can do "desexualised" without, as Gemma put it, squeezing every last drop of sex appeal out that is honestly just as dehumanising and misogynistic. In most cases classic Lara was honestly fine as she was. Teen underboob Lara I totally understand the criticism of that. However the way people talk about her, you'd think she was out here literally in bikinis, underboob, sideboob, ass flossing all the time when she just wasn't. It's annoying.

Fair enough
WitchBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 14:56   #58
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
It’s sillier when you notice Dominguez wears shorts in his “Kukulkan” attire, shorter than any of the ones Lara wears.
and thank god for that. dominguez's thighs are like an entire character in and of themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchBlade View Post
honestly when i think an outfit is ugly, i just think it's ugly. i like plenty of her outfits that have no sex appeal, like the hunter's array or some of the armor outfits in rottr. like one of my favorite classic outfits is the antarctica winter outfit and that most certainly does not have sex appeal.

like yeah they're pigeonholing themselves by lara only wearing shorts when she wears tribal dresses (i think the length of the shorts in sottr are actually a great compromise and they don't need to be more than an inch shorter) and otherwise sticking her in only trousers. but it's not that big of an issue to me as long as they make appealing outfits. survivor, remnant jacket, and tactical adventurer are appealing to me. so is the empress jaguar outfit for traipsing about paititi
Old 21-12-19, 16:12   #59
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
and thank god for that. dominguez's thighs are like an entire character in and of themselves
Glad Iím not the only one who thinks so.
Old 21-12-19, 17:12   #60
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Glad Iím not the only one who thinks so.
honestly dominguez and rourke were the hottest villains we've gotten since TR:A's pierre and larson. rip to konstantin and mathias but they're ugly