Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 14-02-07, 20:41   #21
Alive_and_Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
I'd recommend going from FF7 onwards (solely because it's what I did!) I like the plots better in FF7/8/9 than in any of them before it, and find that I can relate to the characters a lot more and get much more drawn into the plot
Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwen View Post
Nonono! It's too much of a love-or-hate title to risk getting disappointed like that! (And it's also one of the greatest mistakes of a history, plastering the name of a legend on something like that)
Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* Cloud dresses in drag *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?
Alive_and_Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 20:52   #22
Forwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky View Post
Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good.

Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* Cloud dresses in drag *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?
You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a drag Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.

Last edited by Forwen; 14-02-07 at 21:07. Reason: The "Word" word
Forwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 20:53   #23
Kiss-Bite

Smile

I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity! I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.
Kiss-Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 20:55   #24
Hyper_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss-Bite View Post
I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity! I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.
I'm not really excited about FFXII really, since FFX the games have kind of got worse...
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 20:59   #25
Angelus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
Well then don't post here.
If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting in here?
The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:05   #26
Mad Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something.
Well you did a little, because I just don't see the point in posting if there isn't even gonna be a reason why.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:19   #27
Alive_and_Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwen View Post
You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a drag Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.
I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that ), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.

About the drag thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?
Alive_and_Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:28   #28
Legend of Lara

I like FFXII. It has a great battle system.

Last edited by Legend of Lara; 25-02-10 at 00:02.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:39   #29
Forwen

Quote:
I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that ), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.
I'm not trying to discourage you from playing it - if only because it's advisable and welcome to know what people are discussing all over the game world Just urging you to reconsider playing it as your first FF, because some concepts are way out of date and not fun anymore.

Oh well - that was an opinion of a one that is from the haters' camp anyway. Believe me, no matter what FF you'll ask about you will always get black&white opinions, so I guess you will just go your own way with the series, as most do.
Quote:
About the drag thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?
Yep, now I do. And even though it's a tad controversial scene in FF fanbase I didn't have a problem with it. It was absurd, and I like absurdity
Forwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:42   #30
Megalith

I'm a second gen FF Fan (FFVII was the first i played),and i love everything FF related (yes,even X-2).
I can't wait to play FFXII!!!
After that i will have to buy FFIII...arrrgg,too many games too play and so little time!!!
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote