Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D

Old 27-05-20, 02:52   #21
Feder

Lightbulb Plan B

As Danath pointed out, another solution is to texture it with Rview instead. This tool allows you the same texture behaviour as in TRLE, and it reduces the amount of textures used in the level (which will save you if you build TR2 levels when that infamous "too many textures in level" sign appears). However, if you do this you need to leave it for the end, when the game is already built and properly tested because some crashes may appear if the map is changed after applying the textures. Actually, I'm about to use this system, so we'll see how it works out
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 03:30   #22
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Actually, I'm about to use this system, so we'll see how it works out
Dude, are you "about" to use this system?. It means that you have finished your current level and you are already for texturing it?
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 10:27   #23
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
As Danath pointed out, another solution is to texture it with Rview instead. This tool allows you the same texture behaviour as in TRLE, and it reduces the amount of textures used in the level (which will save you if you build TR2 levels when that infamous "too many textures in level" sign appears). However, if you do this you need to leave it for the end, when the game is already built and properly tested because some crashes may appear if the map is changed after applying the textures. Actually, I'm about to use this system, so we'll see how it works out
Awesome. Thanks I'll give it a try.
I'll texture everything using the unofficial editor, then play through it and fix any texture bugs using Rview
Or maybe it would be easier to just texture the entire thing in Rview I dunno

EDIT: TombEditor now supports TR2 - which is interesting. I'll see how it compares though, have yet to test it

Last edited by dcw123; 27-05-20 at 11:59.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-20, 12:07   #24
DaroRaider

@dcw123

I suggest you to read this tutorial first if you didn't yet
( thanks to Danath for the article! )

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=224136

There it explains when you have to use Rview to texture the level and how it works out!

Good luck!
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 11:29   #25
dcw123

OK so I followed this tutorial. I made my TR1 level (just 2 rooms to test)

I first textured the entire room in one grid texture so the room was visible to play in-game (beta textures) and a 2nd room contained all the level TGA textures so I could retexture the room in RView.

I did this, then saves the MSH file - followed the steps.. removed all textures from my 'real' room in Txtre3D and loaded the MSH file on exporting the level.
This is how it ended up in-game - its all screwed up..
When I loaded the MSH file again in RView - for some reason - it ALSO looked like this too (instead of how I had textured it earlier)

Only thing I can think of is that I'm using 'Optimise textures when compiling' although ALL textures were used in the fake room, so I fail to see how that is the case.. hmmmm

Really really wanna get into the classics - sadly TombEditor only supports TR2 and 3 so far, and it has its own bugs etc

EDIT: I'll texture my level only using the editor and see how far I can get without the texture warping - maybe I won't even need to use this RView method if I'm lucky enough

I also noticed that sometimes slopes at certain angles disappear and 'flicker' or cut in half etc - is this normal? I'm using the ATI version of TR1.
I assumed it was something to do with how the unofficial editor handles the floor data (like in the editor, where you can see walls through the lowered/raised blocks/slopes)

EDIT2: The only thing that really bothers me about the unofficial editor is that you can't alter the wall sections (yet TR1 did have this in-game)
I tried to get around it by making some custom textures, but then I'd reach the limit faster.
I thought I could use floor/ceiling panels to fake this - but then I ran into some issues with rooms that are closeby.

EDIT3: I also noticed that the in-game sprites and inventory also mess up. I copied a key from another level over.. it shows up in sprite form on the floor as a pair of pistols. Lara picked them up - in the inventory it did show as the key, but it had no name underneath (like it should).
Think I'm just gonna have to settle for TRLE until TR5Main is finished

Last edited by dcw123; 12-07-20 at 15:53.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote