Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 09-12-18, 22:00   #1471
JuditePrince12

Ugh I need a new comic series.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 15:48   #1472
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
In pm I can give you a link to look for new ones...or even old ones too.

---

Well, I got to read the last issue. I can't get over the suicide(?) of Nadija...just why?
Also Jonah is...strange. His whole attitude there is strange.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 16:46   #1473
Rai

Quote:
Me too.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 19:17   #1474
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
In pm I can give you a link to look for new ones...or even old ones too.
Sure
Quote:
Well, I got to read the last issue. I can't get over the suicide(?) of Nadija...just why?
Also Jonah is...strange. His whole attitude there is strange.
I think it's no secret that the writing towards the end was utter dog poo lol. Her death was meaningless, especially after they spent so much developing her across the arc. She honestly should've been a character in Shadow with how much attention and depth she had. I'm guessing that the plug pulled at the end to wrap up the story. And Jonah was just cringe. I hated how they just threw the development of how he forgave Lara out the window. And they never explained what that aura was that Lara saw around him. Plus when he became a comedian I just wanted to stop reading right there.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 20:38   #1475
Portugalraider

The aura was just a still drugged up Lara seeing Jonah, a Polynesian man who saved her, as Maui, a Polynesian Demigod. No hidden message here: just a nerd high on psychedelic stuff making her see what she associates with Polynesian heroes all in the same person. Like someone recovering from the effects of a similar drug trip probably would.

And Nadija's suicide, as much as it hurts me because she was an awesome character, makes sense considering who she was. She was obsessed with the idea of "God" as a metaphor, about the ultimate "truth", and when she gets further access to that same God, that same truth, denied by Lara fully closing the tomb, as someone who lived completely obsessed, she prefers to stay where those concepts are for the rest of her life than without. It may not make sense, but that's the point: obsession doesn't make sense and will destroy your life. From that point she is the anti-Lara (in this arc at least, because CD/EM/SE can't keep things consistent in their own universe): she is what happens when you don't learn how to move on.

As for Jonah: eh, got nothing.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 16:58   #1476
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
The aura was just a still drugged up Lara seeing Jonah, a Polynesian man who saved her, as Maui, a Polynesian Demigod. No hidden message here: just a nerd high on psychedelic stuff making her see what she associates with Polynesian heroes all in the same person. Like someone recovering from the effects of a similar drug trip probably would.

And Nadija's suicide, as much as it hurts me because she was an awesome character, makes sense considering who she was. She was obsessed with the idea of "God" as a metaphor, about the ultimate "truth", and when she gets further access to that same God, that same truth, denied by Lara fully closing the tomb, as someone who lived completely obsessed, she prefers to stay where those concepts are for the rest of her life than without. It may not make sense, but that's the point: obsession doesn't make sense and will destroy your life. From that point she is the anti-Lara (in this arc at least, because CD/EM/SE can't keep things consistent in their own universe): she is what happens when you don't learn how to move on.

As for Jonah: eh, got nothing.
I tried to see as you did, but then the whole hallucination thing is just...there for nothing.

Just like when Nadija confronted Lara, about to not accepting the tree's offer;like what? I thought that tree barke she ate, should have killed her...not offering some extended knowledge, or a hallucination of the desired thing.

Quote:
I think it's no secret that the writing towards the end was utter dog poo lol. Her death was meaningless, especially after they spent so much developing her across the arc. She honestly should've been a character in Shadow with how much attention and depth she had. I'm guessing that the plug pulled at the end to wrap up the story. And Jonah was just cringe. I hated how they just threw the development of how he forgave Lara out the window. And they never explained what that aura was that Lara saw around him. Plus when he became a comedian I just wanted to stop reading right there.
Yeah, the writing seemed to ...loose some steam.

There are a lot of thing that they threw away:
-Lara's training with that blind woman and Reyes
-reveal of the cardinal (I am sure it was not Dominguez -at least it wasn't intended to be him at first-, it doesn't line up with the games' stories.
-the whole Jonah-Lara relation just doesn't make any sense: Jonah getting mad at Lara, leaves her, then comes back because of friendship? lol no. That doesn't work that way.
-the whole pointless mushroom hunt
-Kaz
-closure on Ana and Konstanin and the whole divine source fiasco. It surely did cost a lot of resources for Trinity to get to Kitezh, I'm sure Dominguez wasn't happy about it. (I know we got a phrase and a document revealing details, but still, it was very poorly executed.)

And we could go on forever, I think.
It's so bad to see, that they had no time,or money or whatever to wrap up things nicely. The only thing I am very statisfied, is the closure of Himiko. It was very good. (Still mad, to not to get to fight with her on Yamatai, but oh well...)

Last edited by Zsott; 13-12-18 at 17:01.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 17:22   #1477
Portugalraider

Quote:
I tried to see as you did, but then the whole hallucination thing is just...there for nothing.

Just like when Nadija confronted Lara, about to not accepting the tree's offer;like what? I thought that tree barke she ate, should have killed her...not offering some extended knowledge, or a hallucination of the desired thing.
Issue 2 made it very clear Nadija also ate from the tree, that she was not the only one, but she was the only one who survived the trip. And that by surviving the trip, she found some sort of life-changing answer. It is also clear from the beginning of the arc that Nadija wanted Lara to eat the tree bark because she thought Lara would either die or survive and see that Trinity's work has merit and she should stop interfering, maybe even join the cause.

The "conflict" comes then from Nadija's thought that everyone who survives sees the same thing, but they don't. Better yet, they do see the same thing, yet don't at the same time. The tree shows their survivors what they really need (or shows them what each own subconscious thinks they need): Nadija was "offered" a clear purpose (to use the revealing powers of the tree to change the world through Trinity); Lara was "offered" closure to her pain, or at least showed her that the only way to move on from pain is to admit it hurts in the first place. That denying it only makes it worse.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 07:43   #1478
ActuallyArlow

Has anyone bought / seen the Tomb Raider Archive books? I just got volume 4
ActuallyArlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 18:36   #1479
NoahCrofRaider

I have Volume 2, but I’m waiting for V.1 before I start reading. I’m eager to get into them.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 02:56   #1480
Rai

TR Inferno complete volume book coming soon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...89049089998853
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote