Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 23-09-19, 13:42   #11
Maverin

Very interesting thread Seth

I agree with almost everything in your post.

Tomb Raider was initially all about exploration and discovery and not so much about puzzle solving. It was a platforming game (hence all the traps) with the addition of certain action segments to ensure a steady game pace.

TRII for example, doesn't have any puzzles at all I think. It's actually a very straight forwarded game. The difficulty lies in finding the right path or key. As for her personality, she had a somewhat innocent and down to earth character in TRI which changed gradually to a more badass and sassy person through TRII and TRIII. I absolutely adore her in TRIII but she never turned into a psychopath. She's just doesn't waste her time with power hungry lunatics. Then they made her more innocent and girly again in TRIV and then back to sassy and badass in TRC. She changed a lot throughout the classics in my opinion and so I don't think you can put one definition of her personality on the classics as a whole.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 14:10   #12
Quebsenuef

I don’t know about you guys but one myth I remember reading from the internet as a young lad (never trust the internet, kids!) was that if you could complete the obstacle course on TR2 in 1:47 or less the two doors on the second floor of the mansion would open up and reveal hidden rooms.

I spent so much time doing that damn obstacle course.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 15:25   #13
Baslakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
It’s a myth for me because they think only these kinds of stories will be a financial success. You can make a fun story and with the right marketing you can make it a hit too...
You're making assumptions now. Nobody claims that non-dark, gritty stories can't be financial successful. Their market research concluded it would be a good idea go go dark with the new trilogy. You can argue with that, but I'm sure a multi-million dollar cooperation will do some decent research what the customer wants before investing millions.

They probably go a bit more lighthearted after this trilogy, followed by another darker trilogy/game (assuming they keep making TR's). It all depends on the current trend and what has good change of success.
Baslakor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 15:53   #14
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
They probably go a bit more lighthearted after this trilogy, followed by another darker trilogy/game (assuming they keep making TR's). It all depends on the current trend and what has good change of success.
I would be as surprised as the guide on your avatar if they stop making TR games...

Off-topic but, I would really like a new trilogy that starts as light-hearted and turns to a dark toned one in the last entry.........

Another myth imo:
Crystal Dynamics can’t make TR games. They can...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 16:01   #15
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Another myth imo:
Crystal Dynamics can’t make TR games.
At least have the audacity to explain, why do you think that.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 16:19   #16
Tomb Raidering

Audacity for what

They can make good stories (Legend, TR2013, Rise) and interesting characters (Lara herself from Legend/2013, Amanda, Sam, Roth, Jacob, Zip/Alister). The games they have developed expanded on platforming (ledge hopping, rappeling, poles, ax climbing, arrow-climbing) and featured interesting locales (Yamatai, Siberia, Syria, Peru from Legend etc.). Their games do give me TR vibes. The puzzles of the games are on point (no need for hardcore puzzles) and I usually see the locations Lara visits as the tombs themselves (again Yamatai, Kitezh and its surroundings, Xibalba). The classic games weren’t just about tombs either (at least until TR2). Their problem is that once they create a plot they drag it on and on (Mom/Dad issues, becoming the TR) and I’m not very fond of Rise/Shadow Lara but I adore TR2013 Lara (especially during the second-half of the game)....

EDIT: I think you’re right about the ‘audacity’ thing! I hope I won’t get killed for it...

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 23-09-19 at 16:26.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 17:32   #17
LaraCablara

The biggest one that I see around here: Tomb Raider Anniversary sold poorly and is an indication that nobody wants another Tomb Raider remake and that the game was crap.

Truth us, it was released initially for only TWO consoles (PC and PS2), and at that point the PS3 had already been released. By contrast, Legend was released for a bunch of consoles at once when the PS2 was still supported. Ports trickled on later, for Anniversary, but it was not a highly advertised game at all and other than the Wii version, were not really enhanced much.

Another big myth is that Chronicles ruined Angel of Darkness's development. Lets be real, the veterans at Core themselves chose to work on it rather than assign a different part of the team to do it because they wanted to be able to cash the royalty checks and probably did not want them going to folks who had not even been working at Core for long. Instead they had newcomers working on Angel of Darkness at first, and as we know, when the veteran team and the newer teams combined, they scrapped the work the new team did. In every interview they pretty much state that they did Chronicles for the money. I am not gonna pretend that this is not my own theory but all the signs point to them thinking with their wallets.

Bottom line, Eidos and Core got greedy and Core aint no saint

Last edited by LaraCablara; 23-09-19 at 17:39.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 17:52   #18
Lyle Croft

IA, the puzzles (in most of the games) were really just trying to figure out where tf to go. And what key/artefact to get.

IA with Lara Croft though in the cutscenes, she stumbled, she fell, etc. She felt HUMAN! But there was something alluring about her for some reason...she didn't let those little mishaps drag her down.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 18:06   #19
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
About myth 1# (Anniversary): I would be very happy if it did sold well. I never thought that way. Is the ‘1.5 million copies sold’ thing most websites talk about is only the PS2 and PC versions? If so, then there surely is more with the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 versions. A nice fact to hear about one of my fav TR games.

About myth 2# (Chronicles): Chronicles has a special place in my heart bcoz it bridged the gap between the Classics and AoD (which itself bridged the gap between the old and new gameplay styles). I’m happy about Eidos making it happen. And about Core, they surely weren’t saints and entirely not ready for the next generation gaming with its bad management and knowledge of the then next gen consoles......

Old 23-09-19, 18:44   #20
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
The biggest one that I see around here: Tomb Raider Anniversary sold poorly and is an indication that nobody wants another Tomb Raider remake and that the game was crap.

Truth us, it was released initially for only TWO consoles (PC and PS2), and at that point the PS3 had already been released. By contrast, Legend was released for a bunch of consoles at once when the PS2 was still supported. Ports trickled on later, for Anniversary, but it was not a highly advertised game at all and other than the Wii version, were not really enhanced much.

Another big myth is that Chronicles ruined Angel of Darkness's development. Lets be real, the veterans at Core themselves chose to work on it rather than assign a different part of the team to do it because they wanted to be able to cash the royalty checks and probably did not want them going to folks who had not even been working at Core for long. Instead they had newcomers working on Angel of Darkness at first, and as we know, when the veteran team and the newer teams combined, they scrapped the work the new team did. In every interview they pretty much state that they did Chronicles for the money. I am not gonna pretend that this is not my own theory but all the signs point to them thinking with their wallets.

Bottom line, Eidos and Core got greedy and Core aint no saint

Possibly, still Chronicles was rushed out so the veterans might have done it since well...Chronicles was already low-quality, could you imagine it with none/little developers who were actually experienced?

Sonic Forces was a mess specificly because almost every single (and maybe every, I just don't want to commit to a blanket statement for something I haven't checked in a while.) developer on it was new to the series so there was no one experienced to help out on the actual game development side of things.

As for Myths: Lara being a sexualized bimbo in the actual games, which isn't true for..many obvious reasons, case in point little-to-know sexualization in the Core-Era outside of 1 cutscene and a slightly revealing top in 2 games, though LAU did have those bikinis but people seem to mainly be talking about the Core-Era for some reason about this, not the games where it A: actually happened and B: was alot less proment then what people make it out to be.

Last edited by Samz; 23-09-19 at 19:02.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote