www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 12-11-20, 14:11   #3751
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Doctor Who has always treated social aspects since day 1, but in the last series they were as subtle as a jackhammer. Maybe the massive backlash behind Orphan 55 they will reconsidered their writing.
My most significant pet at the moment is the "Timeless Child" issue. They need to convince me far more with this because for what they revealed for the moment it doesn't hold water.
I'm really intrigued about the Fugitive Doctor and Jack Harness. I also hope we will see him as soon as the special, I don't think it's good to let us wait that much after his small and imo insignificant apparition in episode 5.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 12-11-20 at 14:12.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 14:22   #3752
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Doctor Who has always treated social aspects since day 1, but in the last series they were as subtle as a jackhammer. Maybe the massive backlash behind Orphan 55 they will reconsidered their writing.
My most significant pet at the moment is the "Timeless Child" issue. They need to convince me far more with this because for what they revealed for the moment it doesn't hold water.
I'm really intrigued about the Fugitive Doctor and Jack Harness. I also hope we will see him as soon as the special, I don't think it's good to let us wait that much after his small and imo insignificant apparition in episode 5.
Of course there's ways you can incorporate political/social topics without it being slapped across your face. It's just down to the writing.

And yeah, the whole timeless child/implying The Doctor started off as a little black girl really doesn't work for me. I'm happy to pretend this never happened. I'm not classing it as canon at all. If The Doctor we got in the Judoon episode ended up being from a different dimension or something, that could have been interesting to explore and gives us a female black doctor. But to go back and change the base of the show and character so drastically just so it now fits to "today's standards", just sends the wrong message imo.

Yes Jack is really the only reason I'm still interested. I was expecting him to appear in the finale, which he should have done instead of this timeless child crap. But I like how they filmed a small scene so his return could be a surprise, rather than doing full episodes which could have been leaked. So I understand if that's the reason.
Old 12-11-20, 20:28   #3753
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

While I prefer the thirteenth Doctor to leave after the upcoming series to keep this as is. However considering the amount of episodes of previous Doctors (bar Eccleston) was 36 for Twelve and 39 for Ten and Eleven, 28 seems a little unfair to Jodie and her Doctor to still not have been properly established. So I'd be up for her to stay for another 8 episode series if this situation is still a mess and requires another short series, but for me that would also require Chibby to be booted out if she gets a fourth one. Because I don't know if I can handle another series of retconning and,giving the one person who should never have a backstory, a bloody backstory.

As cruel as is it, I genuinely hope that if he writes another terrible series, that the numbers go way way down and that he gets the boot and we're in for a new showrunner that completely throws out his story arc. I can accept that the Time Lords being dead once again (though again, this was bloody stupid after 'Gallifrey falls no more', way to go against the 50th Chibby). But the entire Timeless Child just... Ugh...
Old 13-11-20, 08:37   #3754
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Jodie still feels new to me. It just seems like she hasn't had enough opportunity to actually shine. Poor cast, poor writers and poor stories haven't been fair on her. I do feel bad for her because she could have been a fantastic first female doctor if the script and other actors would have been better.
Old 13-11-20, 21:21   #3755
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I've been watching some early episodes of the first doctor on Britbox and I really feel the dynamic between The Doctor, Susan, Ian and Barbara is what Chibnall was going for between 13, Yaz, Graham and Ryan but the format allowed for a much better display of relationships m. Each episode is 30 mins but stories happen over multiple episodes. Sometimes I feel this gets a bit boring but it really allows each character to have time. Chibnall trying to shove more characters into less time than we even had before really hasnt worked and really overshadows Jodie as a character as she doesnt have time to develop neither do her supporting cast.

It was also the reason I really didn't take to Capaldi at first either. He was so overshadowed by Moffat's hardon for Clara. Capaldi didnt come into his own until he met Bill but unfortunately for both of them that was their last series which I felt could have had more if they'd found that dynamic earlier.

I don't like the timeless child nonsense. I'm still not convinced it wont have been a lie somehow.

Also introducing Jo Martin as the fugitive doctor was a mistake because in the short time she was on screen I liked her much more as the doctor than Jodie. I'd like Jodie to somehow be the anomaly with Jo Martin being the actual doctor but i dont think it will happen.

Last edited by jajay119; 13-11-20 at 21:23.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 01:50   #3756
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

While BBC is talking about this everywhere, someone is indeed coming back for the special (as he should)

Captain Jack Harness of course

Last edited by Chamayoo; 24-11-20 at 01:54.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 20:08   #3757
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I saw the first trailer yesterday. Literally just him in the shot. Could it be the DW team finally know what's what?
Old 25-11-20, 13:44   #3758
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Now, I have some good news for those that hated the last series and/or the new Master!

Got my order in already!

They even got the plastic pollution message through, but it didn't stink like with Praxeus

Last edited by Zelda master; 25-11-20 at 13:46.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 14:32   #3759
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

I never liked Dr Who I just couldn't get into it.

I watched part of one episode back when Christopher Eccleston was the doctor and it was stupid, the episodes plot had an alien ship crashing into the river Thames right next to Westminster, the alien pilot was a pig that's not an insult that's a description then the doctor broke into an army base where the alien pilot pig was being kept to rescue it, when he broke into the base he said to a group of armed soldiers standing nearby come with me and they said ok instead of arresting an obvious intruder.

That's when I changed the channel, first it was stupid that the pilot was a pig I guess the episodes budget was too low for them to have something that actually looked like an alien so they went with a pig and secondly a group of armed soldiers not arresting an obvious intruder and instead doing what he told them to do.

The only thing I ever liked about Doctor Who even though I don't like it or watch it is the Daleks though it is hard to be afraid of what is a pepper shaker on wheels plus they don't go very fast so it would be easy to outrun them and if they do invade they can be easily defeated just go upstairs where they can't get you unless they figure out how to use lifts.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 14:55   #3760
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

So you missed the entire episode if you think the pig was the alien and that's it, there's more to that episode and some genuine well written social commentary, despite the episode being really corny at times. Series one does have its issues, I'll easily admit to it, but to throw the entire series to the side because of that singular moment seems... Odd. And in regards to the Daleks, watch the likewise named episode of series one, that shows why the Dalek are genuinely terrifying villains if written properly (which I'll admit, they don't do often). Plus they can fly, so that staircase bit doesn't quite work these days.

But if you want to give it a fair show, here's a list of one story per series that are the best of the bunch:

Series 1: Dalek
Series 2: The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Series 3: Blink
Series 4: Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead or The Waters of Mars (WoM isn't technically series 4 but a special episode, but it works as series 4)
Series 5: The Eleventh Hour
Series 6: A Good Man Goes to War
Series 7: The Snowmen
Series 8: Mummy on the Orient Express
Series 9: Heaven Sent
Series 10: World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls
Series 11: lol, as if
Series 12: lol, even more as if

In specific, Series 3 Blink and Series 9 Heaven Sent are by some argued to be the best of the New Who with Heaven Sent in particular being named the best episode in the entire series altogether. If it's not for you, that's perfectly fine of course, but it seems odd to throw the entire show aside when there's so much different stuff in there. Different actors, different producers, different stories, that's the entire power of the show. Also, this is is part of the very same show with a pig pilot:

Also loving how people call the show to political, when this happened