Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 27-09-16, 20:14   #5701
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira Croft View Post
I think you don't get what I mean ^^

The said that they kept the original level editor map to add more details, to me it looks like the totally rebuilt it but indeed, it looks goregous!
They didn't say they'd keep it the same, only that they'd export it into Maya to use as a base for the remade levels which is what they did. They used the original map meshes as a base, they just deviated quite a bit from them in some areas.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 20:24   #5702
Blackmoor

Quote:
13. Difficulty and Tutorials

The game needs to be easier in general (for modern, particularly US tastes) and we will need to extend the tutorials to cover any new moves. As well as making the game more forgiving (by using things such as last-chance grab), we can add context-sensitive control help in early levels in the same manner as Free Running (either giving the player help in particular points on the map, or supplying feedback when they do something wrong).
Oh lord...

Why is the future not bright, but dumbed down...

Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 21:35   #5703
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Oh lord...

Because there is a lack of value for the systems as important characteristics of the game.

Remove the concept of enjoyable versus un-enjoyable, and would Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition by Core Design have been a Tomb Raider video game experience on a systems interactive level?

My answer: No.

Last edited by larafan25; 27-09-16 at 21:37.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 21:45   #5704
Blackmoor

^It's not just games though, it feels like everywhere it getting dumber.

For eg, I watched a BBC documentary recently (previously a maker of very serious and straight documentaries) and there it was... all fast edits and low content drivel instead of serious, contemplative discussion. Gimmick >>> content.

However, to answer your question, it seems TRAE may have been a bit disappointing in places... if this document is to be believed.
Old 27-09-16, 22:51   #5705
Zebra

Quote:
^It's not just games though, it feels like everywhere it getting dumber.

For eg, I watched a BBC documentary recently (previously a maker of very serious and straight documentaries) and there it was... all fast edits and low content drivel instead of serious, contemplative discussion. Gimmick >>> content.

However, to answer your question, it seems TRAE may have been a bit disappointing in places... if this document is to be believed.
To be fair, it seems like the documents are from quite early on in development and quite a few things changed later on. But yeah, it's possible that it wouldn't have been quite what classic fans like us are looking for, though even then I'd think it would've still been much closer to being a Tomb Raider game than LAU were.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 23:35   #5706
Wooxman

Quote:
Oh lord...

You highlighted the answer yourself: Because of a broader audience. Game developers can't only please the old-school hardcore fans like us. They have to cater to a wider audience in order to make profit. I'm pretty sure that the TRAE still would've been fun nonetheless, but naturally not as complicated as the PS1 games.

I'm glad that this document has been released and that now we've evidence that even Core would've made TR games after AoD easier. I don't think that they would've dumbed them down as much as Crystal did with Legend (and its sequels), but they still would've made them easier in order to sell more games.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 15:13   #5707
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
You highlighted the answer yourself: Because of a broader audience. Game developers can't only please the old-school hardcore fans like us. They have to cater to a wider audience in order to make profit. I'm pretty sure that the TRAE still would've been fun nonetheless, but naturally not as complicated as the PS1 games.

I'm glad that this document has been released and that now we've evidence that even Core would've made TR games after AoD easier. I don't think that they would've dumbed them down as much as Crystal did with Legend (and its sequels), but they still would've made them easier in order to sell more games.
It seems so. I think I would have enjoyed TRAE a lot more than TRA, but still, TR was doomed, and probably would have become the same as it is now. Maybe a lot better regarding the art and Lara personality, but not very different regarding gameplay.

Kinda sad, if you think about it. Still we are just judging an early document. Maybe the "forgiving traps" part could have been in "Easy Mode" and would have a "Hardcore Mode" without the helps.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 20:29   #5708
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Yes but to me that's only a level 1 answer. My (rhetorical) question was more concerned about why things seem to be getting dumber and dumber generally...ie, is the world getting dumber... And if so, what is the cause. I also have concerns about feedback loops... the dumber the stuff you feed people, the less stretched they have to be, the dumber they want it, the less stretched... and so on.

Which leads to me to wondering if in fact elitism in the arts, etc, albeit exclusionary and pompous, has a role in dragging the population forward in terms of creativity, innovation and what-have-you. That's what I always liked about the BBC in the UK - it isn't reliant on advertising revenue as funding and so can divorce itself from "mass popularity". And because of that, doesn't always create content for the lowest common denominator, as such, just because it generates a wider audience. But this is not appropriate for discussion here. Although that sentence I highlighted in the Core proposal made me muse on these things inwardly. :/

Quote:
I think you could see it a bit with AoD too - I felt that game isn't anywhere like the difficulty / complexity of TR3 - although the Hall of Seasons bits (and others) had their moments.
Old 28-09-16, 23:39   #5709
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post

Kinda sad, if you think about it. Still we are just judging an early document. Maybe the "forgiving traps" part could have been in "Easy Mode" and would have a "Hardcore Mode" without the helps.
I think by 'forgiving traps' they mean they would be getting rid of cheap deaths you can't see coming. Traps would be just as lethal, but you'd have a little time to react and dodge it, or you would be able to see the mechanism beforehand and prepare. The classics did have a few traps that you could basically only avoid if you already knew it was there, which is bad game design. They player, if attentive, should be able to get through a level first time without dying. We saw this with the trapdoor spider. It's an instant death, but you can see it hiding if you're paying attention.

Walking two steps to the right in the first kings quest and getting eaten with no warning. Bad design.

Last edited by Boobandie; 28-09-16 at 23:41.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 07:52   #5710
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I think by 'forgiving traps' they mean they would be getting rid of cheap deaths you can't see coming. Traps would be just as lethal, but you'd have a little time to react and dodge it, or you would be able to see the mechanism beforehand and prepare. The classics did have a few traps that you could basically only avoid if you already knew it was there, which is bad game design. They player, if attentive, should be able to get through a level first time without dying. We saw this with the trapdoor spider. It's an instant death, but you can see it hiding if you're paying attention.

Walking two steps to the right in the first kings quest and getting eaten with no warning. Bad design.
That would be sensible, no t forgiving. They were clear, forgiving means "being able to avoid after failing" like being able to auto-hold the cliff before falling to the spikes and such.

But I agree some traps were very mean xd
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote