www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 21-01-20, 05:26   #271
New Dwight
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Sam is a damsel-in-distress
!
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 11:39   #272
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
The only reason I can think of is that Sam is a damsel-in-distress trope and modern feminism just don't like this concept.
For me, it has nothing to do with feminism. I just find characters who only exist to get repeatedly kidnapped and saved annoying. Sam was useless otherwise. Even in the comics she still needed saving.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 21-01-20 at 11:40.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 02:01   #273
Mutant Messiah
Historian

I just finished playing Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy.

Currently playing the beginning THE LAST OF US. Not in the mood right now to play Nathan Drake collection.

Out of the three games, I liked Lost Legacy the most. Mostly because it tried to correct the issues I have with Uncharted 4. It has better pacing, the traversals feel better, and for some reason...I like Nadine. Even more so than Chloe, I think. Nadine had really good character development.

The Last of Us's gameplay doesn't even feel better than Uncharted 4. You tap the melee buttons then you have to tap triangle for a counter. Totally messes up the rhythm. It doesn't really flow better than Uncharted 4.

Tomb Raider 2013 feels like it borrowed elements from both UC and TLOU and made something cohesive out of it. The story just ain't that great.

Actually, Tomb Raider 2013 feels like a really good game but you don't feel like it because it has it fair share of detractors mostly from disillusioned fans of TR classics and some Naughty Dog fanboys, but from an objective standpoint, it feels really good, now that I'm finally able to do some comparisons.

I wasn't really expecting to like Nadine though. This was a real surprise for me. Too bad neither she or Chloe have a name as legendary as Lara Croft.

I do think that Lost Legacy is a step in the right direction. To be fair to Naughty Dog, it knows how to correct itself, even if it's already critically acclaimed.

On the other hand. Shadow of the Tomb Raider seems like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Some sort of an identity crisis.

Tomb Raider 2013 knows what it wanted to be, even if it was just copying other elements from other games.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 11:00   #274
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I just finished playing Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy.

Currently playing the beginning THE LAST OF US. Not in the mood right now to play Nathan Drake collection.

Out of the three games, I liked Lost Legacy the most. Mostly because it tried to correct the issues I have with Uncharted 4. It has better pacing, the traversals feel better, and for some reason...I like Nadine. Even more so than Chloe, I think. Nadine had really good character development.

The Last of Us's gameplay doesn't even feel better than Uncharted 4. You tap the melee buttons then you have to tap triangle for a counter. Totally messes up the rhythm. It doesn't really flow better than Uncharted 4.

Tomb Raider 2013 feels like it borrowed elements from both UC and TLOU and made something cohesive out of it. The story just ain't that great.

Actually, Tomb Raider 2013 feels like a really good game but you don't feel like it because it has it fair share of detractors mostly from disillusioned fans of TR classics and some Naughty Dog fanboys, but from an objective standpoint, it feels really good, now that I'm finally able to do some comparisons.

I wasn't really expecting to like Nadine though. This was a real surprise for me. Too bad neither she or Chloe have a name as legendary as Lara Croft.

I do think that Lost Legacy is a step in the right direction. To be fair to Naughty Dog, it knows how to correct itself, even if it's already critically acclaimed.

On the other hand. Shadow of the Tomb Raider seems like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Some sort of an identity crisis.

Tomb Raider 2013 knows what it wanted to be, even if it was just copying other elements from other games.
Don't forget TLOU was originally a PS3 title and it hasn't aged that well in terms of controls and QTEs - still love it though for its characters/story.
Lost Legacy should be what TR needs to look at next.. take some inspiration.
Mainly the puzzles.. less rope mechanics for sure!

Strangely enough TR2013 is my fave game out of the trilogy.. probably the only one I really liked and replayed. The other games didn't change enough for me.. they felt like add-ons instead of proper sequels.
And don't even get me started on the incoherent plot over the 3 games..
Lara was shaping out to be great at the end of 2013 "I'm not going home" etc etc.. then the whole Island plot was just dropped and forgotten about...
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 11:13   #275
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider is a good game and they get alot of things right. They just don’t know how to deliver a great storyline, which is where Naughty Dog has it’s strength. They know how to develop characters and tell a story.

Nothing in Tomb Raider shows me Lara’s love for actually raiding tombs. Mainly because theres hardly any in the game but because she spends the majority of the time saving the Endurance crew. The only time we see Lara actually doing something about the “storms” is towards the end of Shipwreck Beach which is pretty much the end of the game.

If they included more tombs and ancient ruins (not just optional tombs) were we could see Lara’s fascination grow it would be much better. She was a Survivor at the end not a Tomb Raider. There’s a difference.

An i think if Naughty Dog took over, that’s the only improvement they would make because as I said, I think Crystal got everything else right.

Rise is proof of that, although Rise still has faults with character development and story telling.

Last edited by Lara_Fan1; 04-02-20 at 11:16.
Lara_Fan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 12:59   #276
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Would you like that? Sorta had a dream that this happened everyone on the forums was happy.

I agree with this. Shadow took it very safe. Its ending suggests that it could be taken anywhere, be it a Classic-like direction or ‘back to the roots’ of the Reboots {TR2013}.

[/quote]Tomb Raider 2013 knows what it wanted to be, even if it was just copying other elements from other games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it knew. I wonder where TR2013 Lara is? >.<
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Strangely enough TR2013 is my fave game out of the trilogy.. probably the only one I really liked and replayed. The other games didn't change enough for me.. they felt like add-ons instead of proper sequels.
And don't even get me started on the incoherent plot over the 3 games..
Lara was shaping out to be great at the end of 2013 "I'm not going home" etc etc.. then the whole Island plot was just dropped and forgotten about...
dcw123’s spilling some tea right there. They felt like DLCs with some new moves and pretty graphics without so much thought on the story. They aren’t a trilogy. They’re just standalone games loosely referencing each other.
Old 11-02-20, 00:50   #277
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

if naughty dog took over we would get a more humorous lara croft, running around with 1 or more side kicks in a very linear paths filled with cinematic sequences, and tons!!!!!! of shooting. not bad, but not what TR should be going for. i rather have less shooting, less sidekicks and more exploration.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote