www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 20-01-20, 08:40   #1
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Default Loot Boxes should be banned, says NHS Mental Health Director

I think this is the first time a head figure in the NHS in the UK has stepped into this debate.

Quote:
Ms Murdoch has warned video game firms that they risk “setting kids up for addiction” by building gambling tasks into their games.

In response to growing concerns about addiction to gaming, the NHS has confirmed the opening of a new treatment centre, alongside up to 14 new NHS gambling clinics nationwide, to address significant mental ill health linked to addiction.

The investment is part of the NHS Long Term Plan to improve mental health, backed by at least £2.3 billion extra funding within the next five years, helping hundreds of thousands more children and adults to get timely, expert care.

NHS mental health director Claire Murdoch said: “Frankly no company should be setting kids up for addiction by teaching them to gamble on the content of these loot boxes. No firm should sell to children loot box games with this element of chance, so yes those sales should end.

“Young people’s health is at stake, and although the NHS is stepping up with these new, innovative services available to families through our Long Term Plan, we cannot do this alone, so other parts of society must do what they can to limit risks and safeguard children’s wellbeing.”
SOURCE
Old 20-01-20, 09:06   #2
Samz
Relic Hunter

*GASP* You mean putting real money gambling in children's games is an awful idea?!

Can't wait for when this inevitably results in some big lawsuit or something.
Old 20-01-20, 09:16   #3
rewak
Professor

They're not "loot boxes", they're "surprise mechanics"
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 11:54   #4
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
They're not "loot boxes", they're "surprise mechanics"
I still love that quote from EA, especially when it backfired as they've used the term lootbox themselves.
Old 20-01-20, 12:43   #5
MiCkiZ88
Legend

I don't mind loot boxes in general, but I don't agree with buying them. It's a cheap way to get people to pay more when they don't get the skin or item they want.
MiCkiZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 16:11   #6
jackali
Super Moderator

^ I think it's really only acceptable if they're available with in-game currency which can't be purchased with real money.
Old 20-01-20, 17:33   #7
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCkiZ88 View Post
I don't mind loot boxes in general, but I don't agree with buying them. It's a cheap way to get people to pay more when they don't get the skin or item they want.
Lootboxes and micro transactions are two different things though. While I personally loath both, one I mind less than the other.
I actively suggest parent to not purchase FIFA point at my work and explain what exactly they're used for. And surprise surprise, they don't know and their kids often lied about what it's used for...

Now in all fairness, a lot of it still falls on the parents, but it's not as if the industry tries to make it as nice as possible.
Old 21-01-20, 13:18   #8
Legends
Tomb Raider

I have enough sense not to buy them, but they should be ****ing banned. Mostly because they are ruining games with that greedy business model.

Also, microtransactions should definitely be banned. Get rid of that garbage and we might actually get decent games again without that trash infesting almost every single AAA title.

And are all the people working at their respective "video game content rating system" like PEGI and such on vacation? Because they aren't doing their ****ing job. I've said it before, but video games with microtransactions and lootboxes deserve to get an ugly cigarette-like warning label so it would make parents aware of how predatory it actually is. If they can't be banned, then they shouldn't get to disguise the gambling when laws won't catch up.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 13:30   #9
dcw123
Relic Hunter

I don't miiiiiind them per say - but I DO hate when games make it predatory - when they make grinding impossible and it pretty much means you HAVE to spend money to progress..

Having DLC type things there as an option is fine..
But setting your game up in such a way which forces players to spend money to win etc (pay to win) is bad..

Games such as Uncharted 4 with Challenges to complete to earn credits - thats OK coz they're doable.. might take a little while but nowhere near as grindy as most mobile games.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote