www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 15-01-20, 09:02   #11
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
^
I have not seen the movie.
I was curious if his acting was the same caliber as Heath's.
Gotcha!

I'd say his acting is of similar quality, but, as I mentioned before, in a very different way. Heath Ledger's Joker was a subtle spectacle, making every scene of his a joy to behold, even when he did bad things. Phoenix' Joker, on the other hand... He won't thrill you (or at least not in the same way?) as Ledger did. He won't necessarily make you cling to every facial movement, every syllable. At times he'll actually make you want to look away... Because that's where the movie goes - to dark and uncomfortable places.

In other words, Ledger embodied his Joker so perfectly that it was a joy to watch. Phoenix embodies his Joker so perfectly, that it's anything but a joy. And they both elevate their respective movies because of it.

Hope that helps
Old 16-01-20, 02:31   #12
Stosh
Archaeologist

^
Very helpful. Thank you.
I'll watch it whenever it comes out on free on demand.
Old 21-01-20, 16:44   #13
Maverin
Archaeologist

I really liked the movie. Got uncomfortable during a few scenes which is exactly what they're trying to do. You find yourself with mixed feelings. Obviously he's a psychopath doing horrible things, but somehow you get why he's doing them.
Old 23-01-20, 08:12   #14
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

It's kind of chilling how exhilarating it is when he becomes the Joker. Everything after he dyes his hair green is a thrill ride.

It's hard to put into words, I started this thread thinking I'd be able to eloquently explain the thoughts and emotions the movie stirs up but it's such an intimate look into Arthur's mind it's hard to process, even after watching it about a dozen times. (Seriously)
Old 10-02-20, 12:33   #15
Teone
Student

Congratulations, Joaquin!
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 17:01   #16
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Seeing that I didn't have time to see it in cinema, I've just bought a copy of the Blu-ray release and will watch it sometime this week.
Old 12-02-20, 18:02   #17
Cat Woman
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teone View Post

Congratulations, Joaquin!
Very nice shot you posted. We didn’t watch the Oscars, but congrats to Joaquin. I haven’t seen the movie yet.
Old 12-02-20, 19:16   #18
Ward Dragon

We watched this the other day and I really liked it

I had mixed feelings about whether or not to see it because Heath Ledger's version is the definitive version of the Joker for me, and Joaquin was so obviously doing something different with it, so he didn't seem like the Joker to me based on the trailers.

After seeing the movie, I still feel that way. I don't think he's the Joker, but that's alright. I can mesh it with my idea of Gotham by assuming that he's a different character who maybe inspired Heath Ledger's Joker at some point (which would make more sense given the timeline anyway) and then I can enjoy it by itself without comparing him to Heath Ledger's version.

I found it to be a really interesting character study, and I still got surprised a few times even though I already had most of the plot spoiled for me. Joaquin did such an amazing job showing Arthur's emotions, awkwardness, and vulnerability. Overall, the movie was really intense and I'm glad I saw it.
Old 13-02-20, 15:44   #19
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

The major difference between them.. Heath was a mysterious enigma while Joaquin was an uncomfortably open book.

Both were fantastic though!