www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 04-11-19, 14:44   #15101
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Norway certainly would look the part if they follow Rise...

I imagine that they'll use the "premise" of Rise for the next film (Ana, Location, Divine Source,) but will actually work their own story, while using scenes from the game that could include a bear attack?!

For me, I just hope to God that they don't just shoot the movie in the UK and then feature one location. What I liked about the 1st two movies with AJ and what's appealing with the Jumani movies is the visual variety of locations. Snow, Jungle, City, Snow etc etc etc
Old 04-11-19, 15:53   #15102
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
I imagine that they'll use the "premise" of Rise for the next film (Ana, Location, Divine Source,) but will actually work their own story, while using scenes from the game that could include a bear attack?!
Considering the last movie, I think we will get that: something based on the game, but not a direct adaptation.

Which is the way to go IMO: using premises known to the fans/general public to tell new stories.

Of course the movie had the problem that the new story was overall worse than the game, but that's a problem from execution and not from the idea itself. And I trust Amy Jump to execute that "same premise, different story" idea much better than Evan Daugherty (which in the end, was the one who actually decided the plot of the movie).
Old 04-11-19, 17:39   #15103
TrustyBow
Professor

Yeah I think it'll be based on Rise in the same way the first movie is based on TR2013.

I wonder if it'll just be a straight up adventure flick or if they'll continue to develop Lara. I would say that there's potential for them to explore the PTSD plot that the game hinted at, but given how the first movie turned out, it would feel out of place.

I'd also be slightly interested in seeing the idea of Lara becoming less empathetic as a result of her adventures.
Old 04-11-19, 18:06   #15104
Portugalraider
Professor

I think they will continue to develop Lara as a character, even if I hope they won't connect it to her origin story like the games did.

Just because her origin is done, doesn't mean Lara has to remain stagnant. She can and should keep developing as a character, especially if they want to keep the franchise going. That's what makes characters compelling. The first Iron Man movie was his character origin, but Tony Stark as a character continue to evolve during the course of all the MCU movies he was in.

As for what Lara's development could be in this movie, I think PTSD is perhaps out of the question, because she didn't felt like she was suffering from it in the end of the first movie. Still, there is enough potential growing threads left by the movie:
  • Lara's lack of trust after being betrayed by Ana: Lara might need to relearn how to trust people (or being more and more justified of her mistrusts)
  • Lara learning to forgive, yet not forget: I imagina Lara and Ana might have a complicated relationship (and I hope they do, instead of just "Lara good, Ana evil"), I can see Lara moving on from being hurt from Ana's action, but not letting herself go to a place where Ana can keep doing Lara harm.
  • Lara's scepticism: if they actually decide to add a bit of grounded supernatural elements, Lara overcoming her scepticisms and acepting that perhaps something cannot be explained could be a good development
  • Lara wanting to stop Ana/Trinity for herself, and not for her father: this might be more of a "plot-twist" of sorts. Like, everyone (including Ana and the audience) thinking Lara is just going after Trinity because it's what Crofts do and Richard died because of them, but then have Lara have an emotional burst of the "bitch, this ain't about dad! This is about you manipulating me since I was 14 years old so you can use my company and my estates to do nefarious things! I just want you all out of my life so I can finally do what I want, which is explore the world without having to clean up some evil organization mess.
Old 04-11-19, 19:09   #15105
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
[*]Lara wanting to stop Ana/Trinity for herself, and not for her father: this might be more of a "plot-twist" of sorts. Like, everyone (including Ana and the audience) thinking Lara is just going after Trinity because it's what Crofts do and Richard died because of them, but then have Lara have an emotional burst of the "bitch, this ain't about dad! This is about you manipulating me since I was 14 years old so you can use my company and my estates to do nefarious things! I just want you all out of my life so I can finally do what I want, which is explore the world without having to clean up some evil organization mess.
I love all your points, but I especially love this one. This would be an even better treatment of the character than the games.
Old 04-11-19, 23:20   #15106
SoraSakai

Here’s my predictions of the flow of the film.

Lara is focused on training and improving herself. Opening of the film is Croft manor. She’s training (in clothes referencing her training outfit from TR1).

Lu Ren has been helping her track Trinity’s movements but he’s worried by how obsessed she’s become with them. He shows her photographs of Trinity having been spotted in Cozumel.

They go to Mexico, almost same opening as Shadow with the Tsunami. Lara and Lu Ren get a plane, they crash.

There’s the action sequence by a destroyed plane with the jaguar. The scene actually starts with it jumping up trying to reach an unconscious Lara in the plane. She wakes up, struggle ensues. She kills the jaguar.

She then explores a bit by herself, eventually coming across Trinity troops, she kills them all, and then Lu Ren appears, she almost kills him after mistaking him for a trinity troop. Revenge has almost blinded her.

Anyway, they make camp, talk and whatnot about family and trust. Dialogue you can put in the trailer like: “I don’t know who to trust anymore... I can’t even trust myself.” Something like that.

They eventually find the city of Paititi, although it acts more similarly to the village from Rise. This tribe has been doing ancient battle with Trinity for many many years. Lara agreed to help them fight off Trinity.

Ana and her men show up at the end. There’s a dramatic standoff.

Lara wins, I’m out of creative ideas at this point. The end lol

Let’s see how right/wrong I end up being!
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 11:34   #15107
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

I do think it would be awesome to see some kind of ancient city and tomb hidden in the ice of a glacier taken from Rise, however, this may come off as a bit too similar to the end of the 2001 movie??

I definitely think that a movie that mixes England with an icy location and Mexican jungle would work the best to provide visual variety...

Like the Illuminati from the 2001 movie, Lara could be chasing Trinity, researching them from Croft Manor with the help of Lu Ren following on from the last movie. She gets a clue that Trinity are searching for something (Divine Source?) in Mexico but ends up having to team up with Ana with a final showdown in a snowy, icy location.
Old 05-11-19, 14:51   #15108
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Here’s my predictions of the flow of the film.

Lara is focused on training and improving herself. Opening of the film is Croft manor. She’s training (in clothes referencing her training outfit from TR1).

Lu Ren has been helping her track Trinity’s movements but he’s worried by how obsessed she’s become with them. He shows her photographs of Trinity having been spotted in Cozumel.

They go to Mexico, almost same opening as Shadow with the Tsunami. Lara and Lu Ren get a plane, they crash.

There’s the action sequence by a destroyed plane with the jaguar. The scene actually starts with it jumping up trying to reach an unconscious Lara in the plane. She wakes up, struggle ensues. She kills the jaguar.

She then explores a bit by herself, eventually coming across Trinity troops, she kills them all, and then Lu Ren appears, she almost kills him after mistaking him for a trinity troop. Revenge has almost blinded her.

Anyway, they make camp, talk and whatnot about family and trust. Dialogue you can put in the trailer like: “I don’t know who to trust anymore... I can’t even trust myself.” Something like that.

They eventually find the city of Paititi, although it acts more similarly to the village from Rise. This tribe has been doing ancient battle with Trinity for many many years. Lara agreed to help them fight off Trinity.

Ana and her men show up at the end. There’s a dramatic standoff.

Lara wins, I’m out of creative ideas at this point. The end lol

Let’s see how right/wrong I end up being!
That's an interesting prediction! The only thing I would like to see if they adapt Shadow is that instead of the Paititi we got in the game they would make something similar to Apocalypto (which has a vibe similar to the first Shadow trailer).

But I'm all for a Rise adaptation as the rumors about Norway suggested, it has potential.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 17:36   #15109
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post

I definitely think that a movie that mixes England with an icy location and Mexican jungle would work the best to provide visual variety...
Yeah I'm all for that. Location variety really does make a difference in marketing. It's part of the appeal of the Bond and Mission Impossible movies.
Old 07-11-19, 12:27   #15110
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Yeah I'm all for that. Location variety really does make a difference in marketing. It's part of the appeal of the Bond and Mission Impossible movies.
It definitely is... but also in the new Jumani movies! The current trailer shows location is jungle, snow and desert which shows it to be a proper "adventure" movie which to me is what Tomb Raider should be... It currently takes itself far too seriously for its age-range audience.