www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 04-01-20, 16:18   #15411
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Because that and Bond is really all they have right now. I don't think folks realise that if this was another studio, we probably wouldn't be getting another sequel but MGM needs the franchises.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 18:07   #15412
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I think Tomb Raider was their second highest earning film in 2018 next to A Star is Born if I recall correctly. Making $275M and having great DVD/Blu ray sales probably put it to around $300M worldwide.

Definitely nothing to be snuffed at when compared to its $90M budget. It probably didn't meet WB's expectations because they probably wanted it to be a breakout franchise for them but for GK Films and MGM it was one of the biggest hits they had in a while.

Even know they don't make all the sales from the China release it was a success there and they can most definitely make money on a sequel there. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a co-production deal in place with China for the sequel to fund the production and recoup some quick profits, Hollywood films have been doing recently Skull Island, The Meg, Mission Impossible, The Great Wall to name a few. That's why we have been seeing some big tier Chinese stars in those movies I think they have a quota for using Chinese actors in their films.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 04-01-20 at 18:09.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 18:17   #15413
TrustyBow
Professor

GK definitely seems like they're trying to use the Tomb Raider IP as a big money making franchise. Lucky for us, they're a much bigger name studio after all the acclaim that Bohemian Rhapsody received.
Old 04-01-20, 18:28   #15414
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

As long as Square Enix are in charge of the Tomb Raider IP they're whore out the franchise at any opportunity to make a quick dime.
Old 04-01-20, 18:57   #15415
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

The sequel to TR has happened for so many things: MGM has no franchises (only Bond and The Hobbit), Graham King earned a lot of money with Bohemiam and he now has enough power, TR had a tight budget ...

I hope they bet high on the sequel to TR. They have experience with the Bond franchise to make great international productions ... I hope they do the same with TR. If they are intelligent they could have their female franchise.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 09:34   #15416
SoraSakai

I hope they have more scenes of Lara solving puzzles HERSELF.
This is never really brought up as much as it should be but I just want to remind everyone that a barely conscious, partially-drunk, fully-hungover and inattentive person solves a puzzle nonchalantly before Lara (fully awake, not hungover or drunk) does.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 10:34   #15417
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Yesss and The puzzles in the movies should involve the audience. Himiko's door puzzle simply doesn't work because Lara solves it but nobody knows what it means. Indiana Jones did this very well ... it is important that the public knows what she is doing, not just that she is intelligent.
Old 05-01-20, 10:49   #15418
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I just hope Lara character arc doesn't revolve around the men in her life this time and we get some nice character moments with her and Ana. I am surprised we haven't gotten any confirmed locations yet other than London. If it is truly to shoot in March like we have all been speculating.

Ben has a quick turnaround for films too though. Rebecca was filmed in early June and ended late August which had around two and a half months of shooting and he said in the empire podcast that he was locking the final edit of the film in November. If Tomb Raider shoots an extra month and a half he will probably take around six months to fully edit it and have it locked.

The scheduling for March 2021 and that fact it hasn't been confirmed for shooting until Spring/Summer suggests to me that they will lower the budget slightly and have less CGI extensive work. I'm predicting $75M this time around.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 05-01-20 at 11:00.
Old 05-01-20, 12:08   #15419
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

I read many articles about Ben Wheatley and his favorite action movies. He is a fan of Chinese action cinema. It would not be strange if the action sequences were something more physical and less CGI. Something type Mission impossible or John Wick.

As for the locations .. I think that they are going to record all the interiors in London and then they will record a few exterior shots in some country (to reduce costs) Then if they are going to shoot in London first ... we It will take us long to know what country they will use.

I do not think that the budget is much lower than the previous movie I think they will have the same. If they want a franchise they need the movie to look attractive. 90M is not a very high budget ...

Possibly in 2020 we have neither Uncharted (delay news) nor Indiana Jones (I doubt they come to date. No information). This is good ... TR would be the only treasure hunter movie.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 05-01-20 at 12:11.
Old 05-01-20, 12:39   #15420
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I wonder if they'll do a more Chinese influenced film after the success of the first, I'd love to see Lara in Tibet if they try to change aspects of Rise it wouldn't a far stretch to the story either. Instead of having the story about the Prophet and the Atlas they could have it about the eight immortals and change Sophia and Jacob to Chinese characters.

They also get a 40% tax incentive if they do co-production with a Chinese studio like the latest Mission Impossible movies.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 05-01-20 at 12:41.