www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 13-01-20, 22:49   #15501
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I feel like the film would be banned in a lot of territories with the prophet storyline so I could see them changing it to a Chinese plot for those reasons especially so they can corner the Asia market again.
Old 13-01-20, 22:50   #15502
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
I love the Byzantine aspect of Rise though, and we've already had a lot of Asia in Tomb Raider movies.

TR1 movie - Cambodia
TR2 movie - Hong Kong
TR reboot movie - Hong Kong & Japan
TR reboot movie 2 - Siberia and Syria

I think they are both very interesting settings for a Tomb Raider movie however they will probably be too afraid to touch on Syria for controversy reasons.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that maintaining at least that Byzantine flavour would be the best. I am just looking for a plausible justification for filming bin China while also still adapting RotTR. Because I don't think they would film in China just for some scenes with Lu Ren. If Syria is the problem, change it to Turkey, probably much less controversial and still connected to the Byzantine empire.

On that note, a quick example using a quick Google search on Chinese myths about immortality: instead of the immortal prophet and the divine source, the movie could be about the last remaining of the Eight Immortals and his vessel that contains his power. The other 7 were hunted down by Trinity and killed because their vessels got destroyed. The remaining one went into hiding in Siberia, becoming a refugee in Kitezh. Ana is now looking for the vessel not only to finish Trinity's job to kill all the immortals, but also to use its power to save her life. And Lara is there because "while I do enjoy exploring and want to do it for the rest of my life, F U Ana, give me back my company and stay out of my life!"

Last edited by Portugalraider; 13-01-20 at 22:51.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 23:02   #15503
Rai

Didn't Ben say in an early interview that it's basically following the game? He didn't say which game, but presuming he meant Rise, I don't think they'll stray too far from the basic story.
Old 13-01-20, 23:12   #15504
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Didn't Ben say in an early interview that it's basically following the game? He didn't say which game, but presuming he meant Rise, I don't think they'll stray too far from the basic story.
Again, I think it will be the same situation as the first movie. Both it and the 2013 game could be described as "Young, inexperienced Lara Croft in an adventure-gone-wrong in the lost island of Yamatai" yet they tell very different stories. I feel the sequel will still tell a "Lara Vs Ana and Trinity in Siberia for the lost secrets of Kitezh" like RotTR, but still telling it's own story. Maybe changing the origins of that secret from Byzantine immortality to Chinese immortality is one of those changes.

Or maybe not and that China filming set is a fake update and we are all being trolled.
Old 13-01-20, 23:44   #15505
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

There's are so many tales of immortality in Chinese myth that could work. A lot of Emperor's searched for immortality over the dynasties of ancient China. They could easily retcon the character of Jacob and Sofia to fit that angle and have Chinese actors portray them.

Maybe even an immortal artefact could work to replace the Atlas. Imagine we got the Dagger of Xian holding immortal powers.

The beauty of Finland is hitting me right in the feels with this video:

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 14-01-20 at 00:33.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 01:22   #15506
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Ben and the DP will need to be careful it doesn’t end up looking like a blue Underworld movie though. Unless this sequel as well only has a budget of like $30M
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 01:34   #15507
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Laurie Rose has nice cinematography in a lot of his films. I liked the muted palette in Happy New Year Colin Burstead and the he went outside the box on Overlord and really produced something different.

I have been thinking more about the budget recently and am wondering if the budgets what is making the film have a shorter time in production and post than the last.

I could foresee them taking it down significantly from the $94million that it cost the first especially also if the new production teams names are anything to go by. They're mostly crew that have worked on smaller scale films or TV, the bigger films they've been attached to have been more art department focused.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the film won't have an much scope but I expect they'll rely on more practical action sequences rather than the ship crash and river rapid sequence from the first film. Ben doesn't have much experience in visual effects so I don't think we will see huge avalanche set pieces or the bear fight although I could be wrong.

My guess (and hope) is this will be a smaller self contained story focusing more on the character development if they aren't going to have a big enough budget to pull off spectacle.
Old 14-01-20, 01:56   #15508
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post

The beauty of Finland is hitting me right in the feels with this video:

[youtube]R5l4MghKGEA[/outube]
A lot of these areas gave me Siberian Wilderness vibes, OMG. Especially around 1:50 mark. Honestly, the snow with the reddish/orangey skies look really beautiful. Imagine a scene or two set in during a sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Ben and the DP will need to be careful it doesn’t end up looking like a blue Underworld movie though. Unless this sequel as well only has a budget of like $30M
Well Kitezh has a lot of blue tones.
Old 14-01-20, 02:12   #15509
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I doubt the plot will be a 1:1 on Rise. The first movie wasn't, in fact the whole plot was changed. It was based on the 2013 game, but what they went for was different from what the games set out to be. I believe this will be something similar. I do think they will focus on her father like before and Ana will be evil again, but I think the purpose and how it all plays out will be different. I have a feeling China will be for Lu Ren and his character will effectively replace Jonah. Perhaps she charts a ship to Siberia or investigates another myth.
Old 14-01-20, 02:46   #15510
SoraSakai

I totally agree. Aside from the fact that there’s an island, the 2018 film’s plot is almost nothing like the 2013 game.

The character’s motivations are different. Not a single person (including Mathias) ends up on the island the same way as their game counterparts. It’s totally different. Even Lara’s motivation in the game comes from her own will to explore rather than the films “I needs to find mah dad” thing.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote