www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 15-01-20, 19:12   #15531
SoraSakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I don't, it wouldn't make any of the game's main plot justice IMO, especially at the level of the mythologies involved. Better have them be separate stories (if we end up getting another movie after the sequel).

Now, I do think that introducing elements from SotTR to the sequel (like Ana and Trinity were introduced in the 2018 movie) could work. Like instead of having Konstantin, have Rourke be the main Merc guy in the movie, have it survive the sequel so he can have a personal vendetta against Lara in a possible SotTR-inspired movie, maybe better hint towards Dominguez and his position within Trinity. Stuff like that, that would better link the movies together.
No all of that sounds terrible.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 19:46   #15532
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
No all of that sounds terrible.
Why, besides being more sequel bait for a sequel that might never happen?

Konstantin and Rourke basically play the same role, except Rourke doesn't have any emotional connection to Lara to make it an interesting villain. Konstantin at least has some sort of connection because Lara being successful would mean his sister dying and his "destiny" was wrong. Rourke on the contrary is just there, he doesn't add anything to the story besides killing Unuratu.

Better yet, have Konstantin survive the sequel movie and replacing Rourke as Dominguez right-hand Merc in a possible sequel, taking revenge on Lara for destroying his destiny and killing Ana (not knowing the truth). Having him finding that truth part of his story, and ending up betraying Trinity for killing his sister.
Old 15-01-20, 19:47   #15533
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Let them just focus on this and HOPE they get another sequel. I don't want them to save a single thing for a potential sequel. You lay it all out and the table to make sure you get audiences interested.

TR is like the only recent new franchise that has survived to get a sequel, they really gambled hard by holding back so much the first time around.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 20:00   #15534
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Let them just focus on this and HOPE they get another sequel. I don't want them to save a single thing for a potential sequel. You lay it all out and the table to make sure you get audiences interested.

TR is like the only recent new franchise that has survived to get a sequel, they really gambled hard by holding back so much the first time around.
While I do agree that it's better for them to not focus on sequel baits, it is also possible to leave some loose ends whithout sacrificing the plot of the current movie. Loose ends that could then be used to connect the movie to a possible sequel, but aren't really that major.

Like, would letting Konstantin badly injured but still alive, instead of having him die because of either Lara or falling debris really change his plot in RotTR? Would it be such a big loose end that needs to answered? Not really, it just leaves space for, if a sequel is greenlighted and if the next creative team so desires, to keep developing his character.

Edit:

By the way, I am not saying I necessarily want this sort of connections between the movies, it was just a suggestion based on what if elements from SotTR end up in the current sequel. Had it my way, if we do end up with a third reboot movie, I'd actually prefer to have someone like Nadija from the comics as the side villain, someone who represents what Lara could become if she fully engulfs herself in her own obsessions.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 15-01-20 at 20:22.
Portugalraider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 20:45   #15535
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I hope this becomes a type of Resident Evil/Underworld franchise for MGM but with better quality films around similar budgets. It could be a great potential franchise.
Old 15-01-20, 21:39   #15536
SoraSakai

No I’d definitely prefer just two films. Dominguez doesn’t need to be adapted to film because his character is pointless and stupid. I like the idea of Anna being the leader of Trinity, because it’s a female antagonist, has a personal history with Lara and it’s actually been established and set up instead of literally pulled out of nowhere.

They can easily combine ideas and concepts of Rise with Shadow.

Adapting the story does not mean you need to include every single story element beat-for-beat. They don’t need Constantine or Rourke or Dominguez or even Jacob. They just need Anna trying to do a thing, and Lara needs to stop her and confront her on her betrayal. That’s it. Keep it nice and simple.

Setting up all the things you’re talking about honestly sounds bloated and awful. I truly hate every idea you proposed, but that’s just me. Maybe others would like it.
Old 15-01-20, 22:05   #15537
Ellioft
Professor

I prefer to have three movies at least have one more than Jolie

Meanwhile in china classic Lara is still used as a clickbait

This poster came from the 2019 chinese VOD B movie The blood aligator and to your questions no the girl in the movie doesn't wear any pair of shorts at all.

Last edited by Ellioft; 15-01-20 at 22:30.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 22:07   #15538
Portugalraider
Professor

Look, I don't necessarily like it either, it was just a sort of comment to iWANEX's post. As if, if they are to introduce elements from SotTR to this movie, I rather have small nods that can be used for continuity sake, rather than butchering elements from two very different stories and trying to tie them up together.

Also, while Ana should definitely be the main villain of the next movie (the leader of Trinity? Perhaps not, or perhaps not alone, since it's a trinity), she is the type of villain that doesn't work all by herself. She is just brains, but she needs the brawn of the operation. And personally I think it's better to have that brawn also represented by an actual character than by just a group of nameless mercs, like in the 2013 movie for example. It is the reason why Konstantin exists I believe (and Rourke as well, though he is so meaningless he might have better stayed as a nameless merc).

And on a final note, little off topic because I don't expect at all that he will be in the movie, Dominguez is actually a really good antagonist: someone with actual good intentions and the right objective, but the absolutely the wrong way to do stuff, all because he wasn't able to move on from his brother's death. He is a reflection of Lara was becoming at the beginning of the game: someone clinging so bad to the idea that they can right everything that is wrong, when perhaps the best way to make some of those things better is to just move on.
Old 15-01-20, 22:12   #15539
SoraSakai

Pretty sure the name in Trinity was referring to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit from the Bible. Which explained why Constantin was so weirdly religious.

But then it ended up being Dominguez and the name stopped making any sense lol
Old 15-01-20, 22:21   #15540
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Pretty sure the name in Trinity was referring to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit from the Bible. Which explained why Constantin was so weirdly religious.

But then it ended up being Dominguez and the name stopped making any sense lol
True, but they could also be inspired by the Holy Trinity and have a trio of leaders acting as a single force as well, at least for movie Trinity.