www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 23-01-20, 13:18   #2451
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I loved them. Especially the opening. It was really cool, and beautiful - Underworld still mostly stands up to today with its graphics. That's something they deserve every praise for
Agreed, the graphical quality was outstanding for its time. It looked better than Uncharted 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
People thought they were bad?

I just wanted more of them since you get very little of it and it's impossible to drown in almost all of them and the one exception its a short straightfoward swim.

I also liked the underwater combat.
Yeah solving puzzles while being attacked by sharks was really cool. The only drawback was the treasure system where you had to search every singe corner.
Old 23-01-20, 13:22   #2452
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I love everything about this bossfight! The music, the feels, the danger, the strategy, the thrill, Aqua’s confidence, you name it.

This kind of stuff needs to return to Tomb Raider. This bossfight even rivals the Classic TR ones. The Dr. Dominguez fight in Shadow is a step in the right direction imho...
I can't recall classic TR having anything that even half resembles this. Even aside from it's ill-fittingly cartoony nature.
Old 23-01-20, 13:28   #2453
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
Agreed, the graphical quality was outstanding for its time. It looked better than Uncharted 1.

Yeah solving puzzles while being attacked by sharks was really cool. The only drawback was the treasure system where you had to search every singe corner.
Yeah the treasure in Underworld was...awful, I don't even bother looking for them.

I honestly want the series to focus more on the adventure over action, inventory puzzles need to come back (and not just "cant' go here til you upgrade X item" and I want alot more adventure-game style puzzles.

I'm okay with a TR game that had roughly 200 kills at most, and I'm including "filler" Enemies here. (AKA bats and rats that die in one shot.)
Old 23-01-20, 13:36   #2454
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I can't recall classic TR having anything that even half resembles this. Even aside from it's ill-fittingly cartoony nature.
Classic TR had outstanding music in its bossfights just like this. I can’t recall any from the bossfights in the reboot games.

They were also dangerous bossfights. You needed to plan out a strategy to kill them. Tony, Puna, Sophia Leigh, and Seth comes to mind. No medipack? No ammos for the powerful Uzis? Find something else to deal with them. In the reboot games, the strategy is obvious: Shoot, cover, heal. Repeat. And if you run out of ammo, there’s the magically respawning ammos. The Dr. Dominguez fight was something, at least. This fight uses cartwheeling as a dodging mechanic. The Classics used side-jumps. Same general idea...
And while optional, there’s the auto-aim.

While we’re talking about healing, health regeneration needs to go. The bandaging is a great mechanic, but finding ready-to-use medipacks and stuff would be great. Add a health bar too while we’re at it.

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 23-01-20 at 13:47.
Tomb Raidering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 13:42   #2455
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I honestly want the series to focus more on the adventure over action, inventory puzzles need to come back (and not just "cant' go here til you upgrade X item" and I want alot more adventure-game style puzzles.
If you mean gear gating, it's a thing I liked about reboot. Having to find tools in order to open blocked paths makes you memorize the area. When you have that tool, you'll think "Hey now I can go back to this area and open a new path". It reminds me of Zelda that's why I like it so much. What kills the mood is that these paths are mostly optional.
Old 23-01-20, 17:48   #2456
TR1249
Archaeologist

Just finished Underworld again and whew what an underrated game it is
Old 23-01-20, 18:41   #2457
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Classic TR had outstanding music in its bossfights just like this. I can’t recall any from the bossfights in the reboot games.

They were also dangerous bossfights. You needed to plan out a strategy to kill them. Tony, Puna, Sophia Leigh, and Seth comes to mind. No medipack? No ammos for the powerful Uzis? Find something else to deal with them. In the reboot games, the strategy is obvious: Shoot, cover, heal. Repeat. And if you run out of ammo, there’s the magically respawning ammos. The Dr. Dominguez fight was something, at least. This fight uses cartwheeling as a dodging mechanic. The Classics used side-jumps. Same general idea...
And while optional, there’s the auto-aim.

While we’re talking about healing, health regeneration needs to go. The bandaging is a great mechanic, but finding ready-to-use medipacks and stuff would be great. Add a health bar too while we’re at it.
Honestly I like how AOD had respawning ammo, but they only spawned when you were completely out of ammunition and only gave you two reloads.

Granted I've not played Shadow so I don't know if it keeps to "When you run out completely " but I think that's a good way to do it.
Old 23-01-20, 21:55   #2458
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

Survivor Amelia croft is prettier and should be the basis for survivor trilogy lara in both looks and personality She is more interesting.

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 23-01-20 at 21:56.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 13:27   #2459
GFY2013
Archaeologist

I hate Rise. It just feels like a straight-up copy from TR2013, especially some level designs.
Also, what's really frustrating is the UI/menus are unresponsive af, like you need to wait all the time for it to finish animations, comparing to TR2013 or even SOTTR. (like when you wanna exit quickly from the graphics options, you press ESC like 3 times and it goes back only one submenu, whereas on SOTTR/TR2013 it registers all the 3 ESC presses and goes back properly.)
Old 24-01-20, 14:34   #2460
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Survivor Amelia croft is prettier and should be the basis for survivor trilogy lara in both looks and personality She is more interesting.

https://i.imgur.com/fJVe7Ddl.jpg
I'll admit. That Lara looks really gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY2013 View Post
I hate Rise. It just feels like a straight-up copy from TR2013, especially some level designs.
Also, what's really frustrating is the UI/menus are unresponsive af, like you need to wait all the time for it to finish animations, comparing to TR2013 or even SOTTR. (like when you wanna exit quickly from the graphics options, you press ESC like 3 times and it goes back only one submenu, whereas on SOTTR/TR2013 it registers all the 3 ESC presses and goes back properly.)
Never heard anyone complain about the UI before. I haven't tested this myself. You sure it's not because of lag? Should have that in Shadow too however, if that were the case.

I'm not the biggest fan of this game either, but because of different reasons.