www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-12-19, 23:30   #121
Legends
Tomb Raider

Maybe the morons at CD (and the reboot fans) can learn something about proper storytelling in video games. I mean, since they love to rip-off Naughty Dog so much.

Last edited by Legends; 11-12-19 at 23:31.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 23:39   #122
SoraSakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Maybe the morons at CD (and the reboot fans) can learn something about proper storytelling in video games. I mean, since they love to rip-off Naughty Dog so much.

Woah what’s with this anger? It’s too early for this haha
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 15:25   #123
laratombgirl
Hobbyist

Default Not a good TR game

In SOTTR, I was fairly disappointed. Preferred TR reboot on Japanese island.
- Lara was stuck in South America. Locations were bland and repetitive. Mostly sub-tropical. Paititi was a terrible idea. Only a place for pointless side missions and one dimensional characters.
- Inability to change outfit whenever Lara wanted
- Far too little time in Croft Manor
- No horses to ride - canoes to paddle - jeeps to drive - planes to fly. Spends most her time platforming jungle environments and being nice to everyone.
- Plus point, the wolves and big cats were a nasty threat
- Get rid of Jonah. He was just a big romantic softie who hindered Lara's progress and never fired a shot.
- Trinity baddies were threatening - local natives were comical masks who never even threw spears at Lara.
- I want a manual crouch, light and reverse roll buttons.
- Weapons had too many upgrades and too many choices. Reduce the amount and make them more powerful.
- Did enjoy some of platforming outdoor levels - visually stunning and good use of traversing with axe rope. Some larger mechanical puzzles were challenging too.
- Underwater puzzles were no good. Rather go from point A to B avoiding eels and man eating fish.
- Lara has no sense of humor. Prefer the cynical Lara of Core series who takes the fun out of her enemies like Von Croy.
- Dominquez had three roles, Trinity boss, Priest and Prince. Never going to work was it ?
- Lacked Supernatural enemies. I was aching for a Centaur to appear and breath fireballs at Laras bum.
- Tombs to too frequent - not challenging (apart from DLC) and lacked threat of many different ways to kill Lara (eg electricity, hot oil, out of control mine carts, massive boulders.)
- Plus point - kept the creeping bugs and spiders to a minimum. And too small to care. Hate bugs.
- The interactive map UI wasn’t bad. But, it didn’t always show where to find missing items or quests unless Lara happened to run past that area. More Archivists maps would have helped.
- Too much emphasis on backstory. The documents found didn’t really add to Lara’s journey or progression. More like a boring history lesson that had no bearing on gameplay.
- Many tombs and crypts way too dark. The light was useless only as candle power and never turned on when Lara need it.
- Lara is forced to use Survival Instinct to fight enemies or find gadgets to progress. Again, mainly due to lack of light.
- No classic shorts and dual pistols. - give me a break.
- Give player a choice to leave the bow behind and choose what weapons she wants not restricted by location eg Paititi
- Finishing the game felt like a relief from a jungle setting. Some of classic TR games had jungle - but not excessive.
- Started off as a linear game that turned into a sandbox game with all the side missions. Too much distraction from story and little replay value.
- Too many collectibles. Way too many. Especially plants. Oh, let’s build a million shrubs and make Lara need them to make Healing, Focus and Endurance abilities !
- Overall impressions - get back to basics that made Lara Croft a gaming icon. Play the original series and learn from that. Then, play again and again. Can’t compare graphics naturally - talking about story, character, level design and gameplay.

Last edited by laratombgirl; 18-12-19 at 15:28.
laratombgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 16:54   #124
mcarr6
Student

Quote:

So, we all have to do and think as you say. Nice.

ps. I have The Last of Us game and I didn't enjoy it one bit, but that's me. I'm happy for you if you enjoyed it.
mcarr6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 20:10   #125
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:

[youtube]4FGlIGYcBos[youtube]
Lmao that's all they've done. It's just a shame they didn't copy a better forumla than the boring action set pieces in the reboot.

And now look at it, the state of the franchise is in a mess because reboot flop raider just couldn't keep it up long enough.
Old 18-12-19, 20:58   #126
lance6439
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Woah what’s with this anger? It’s too early for this haha
All the anger is justified. Especially with how much of a mess the Shadow era was. They should take note from the folks over at Naughty Dog.
Old 18-12-19, 21:23   #127
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
All the anger is justified. Especially with how much of a mess the Shadow era was. They should take note from the folks over at Naughty Dog.
Yep. Right now what they need to learn from them is communication.
Old 18-12-19, 23:28   #128
plastiboi
Historian

maybe it's me, but i'm very bored with the reboot trilogy, shadow did not revive me from its boredom; i can't even play shadow more than 10 minutes without switching to another game- or yawning

but anyways, TRL>>
Old 23-12-19, 19:35   #129
Kidd Bowyer
Hobbyist

So, I finally beat the game, and honestly? The Path Home DLC was a complete waste, like, it was touted as something that'd "wrap up the game and end it on a good note", but it's just...one kinda cool giant statue puzzle, and then "Oh yeah, the Yaxxil went through a Stargate, bye".
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote