www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-01-20, 19:43   #1
lance6439
Legend

Default Reboot Lara has no impact: why?

7 years, 3 games, several new comics, successful movie = reboot era

1996-2003 = classic lara/original lara era

its been 16 years since anything related to OG Lara been out however she's still heavily referenced in pop culture today and reboot Lara (despite the reboot era being really successful) just isn't. Why?

some pop culture references from the past years:

girl group BLACKPINK cited Lara Croft as influence for the looks of their music video for Kill This Love

girls from other groups like AOA and TWICE have paid homage to OG Lara as well:

Hwasa clearly cosplaying Lara during one of her live performances:

Kim Kardashian mentions Lara Croft:

hit songs that have mentioned Lara Croft's name and image:

Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li

Megan The Stallion - Freak Nasty

Lara in Ready Player One:

*WAS ALSO #12 ON INSTAGRAM TRENDING HALLOWEEN NIGHT AS ONE OF THE MOST COSPLAYED VIDEO GAME HEROS BUT I DONT HAVE ANY RECEIPTS AS I DIDNT TAKE ANY SCREENSHOTS BUT CLASSIC LARA WAS VERY POPULAR HALLOWEEN 2019*

Karrueche as Lara Croft

GIGI Gorgeous:

She was also trending like crazy for a few days on Twitter being compared to Elon Musk's new car (or whatever)

Reboot era is a success but it doesn't feel like Lara is the star she once was despite 3 well received games and a movie that pulled in good numbers and slightly better than average reviews. Why isn't anything from the reboot era (asides a few cosplays here and there) able to make waves in pop culture and social media? what's needed to catapult RLara into popularity?
Old 02-01-20, 20:00   #2
Vaskito

Well, it's impossible to replicate the impcat Classic Lara had, when that kind of character was a novelty. That iconography will always rightly belong to Classic Lara.

But to make a pretty selective collection of pictures to twist reality, is a little too much and desperate IMO. Reboot Lara has her fair share of impact, which in no way threatens Classic Lara, so I don't get the need of another repititive negative thread
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:20   #3
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
But to make a pretty selective collection of pictures to twist reality, is a little too much and desperate IMO. Reboot Lara has her fair share of impact, which in no way threatens Classic Lara, so I don't get the need of another repititive negative thread
No one's threatening your queen here and the thread is simply making an observation and is in no way negativity.
Old 02-01-20, 20:25   #4
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

She has no impact because she has no charisma the end.
Old 02-01-20, 20:36   #5
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
No one's threatening your queen here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
She has no impact because she has no charisma the end.
Oops well someone is now

Anyway, she has no impact because she's far inferior, stuck in a loop, doesn't know what she wants to be and has no iconography at all besides her axes and in general looks like a random girl with a bad hair day except it's everyday. I liked her well enough until Shadow and the way they've been treating everything classic related just made me sick of her. Also, they themselves seem to have given up on reboot Lara lmfao. Want to make her relevant and likeable again? Then it's finally time to unleash the classic Lara within.

Last edited by Athukraz; 02-01-20 at 20:37.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:36   #6
Daft Raider

Classic Lara's influence. :')

Title says it all, Reboot Lara is a nobody, and she'll never be as iconic as Classic Lara. Classic Lara didn't need 35 different origin stories and 92 different traumatic things to be a strong female. She was larger than life and her lasting impact shows just how lasting it is, regardless of how hard CD has tried to erase it.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:38   #7
Ellioft
Professor

TWICE is cosplaying Alice from the Resident Evil movies.

I remember to have seen a commercial featuring a reboot Lara like.

Also the main version used for Lara is always movie AJ Lara and not game Lara.

Hwasa technically looks like Alicia Lara the colors for the outfits are the same.

I think in the next movie they will try to make Lara's outfit iconic a la Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel.

Also the french singer Nadiya was clearly cosplaying (stealing) Alicia pose from Total film in the cover of her latest album Odyssée

And about thoses rap songs... urgh and Kim Kardashian...

I remember also to have seen I think it was Zendaya playing Rise of the Tomb Raider with their friends (and die). ^^

And still as a game TR appeared in a medical TV show and that's the difference between classic and reboot Lara.

Reboot Lara never had an editor seeling out the character to appear everywhere. They seems to be kinda protective and probably doesn't want to be distanced by the character for their games like classic Lara was.

Last edited by Ellioft; 02-01-20 at 21:14.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:40   #8
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
No one's threatening your queen here
Good job on saying what I said!
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 20:43   #9
lance6439
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

Also the main version used for Lara is always movie AJ Lara and not game Lara.
Basically the same people.

-

Old 02-01-20, 20:50   #10
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Reboot Lara lacks anything impactful. Her personality and character are quite dull and doesn't have anything that really grabs your attention. While she is more reserved and perhaps some people can relate to that, she has zero impact on people who just don't find relatable characters of interest. Her adventures also lack that special charm and instead feel like Hollywood directed movies that comprise of every trope in Hollywood to date, stuff you've seen before that work, but aren't innovative or creative enough to capture your wonder, curiosity and interest. People were curious about classic Lara because she was wonderous, she always made you wonder and ask questions about what she is doing and exactly why she is doing it. She was a strong female character who didn't give a bleep about what others thought about her. She was rare and that's ulitmatly made her so engaging and meaningful.

Reboot Lara is too busy following trends instead of creating her own. She is too generic and lacks anything to really recognize her in her own right.

I mean when you have to make a thread to list all the generic traits that all characters can have just to try and make her seem interesting, that's very telling when people don't recognize these very things in her themselves. It shows she lacks a lot of creativity and interest. Heck even the in game model looks really bored most of the time.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 02-01-20 at 20:52.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote