Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider on Mobile

Old 14-07-19, 23:01   #1
JCGaming
Inactive

Default What happened to Tomb Raider 3 on IOS?

I never got the full story and after playing TR 1996 and TR2 on IOS I was looking forward to playing TR3 too only to discover the project was cancelled! I know it was cancelled but that's all I know pretty much so I ask what happened to the project?
JCGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 23:14   #2
LuckyEdge10

Realtech VR, the developers of the TR1 and TR2 Android and iOS versions, were discovered by Square Enix that they were using a stolen source code of TR3 that was then published on GitHub. The project has been cancelled. TR1 and TR2 were also removed from Google Play Store and App Store but Square Enix gave no offical statement about them.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 08:04   #3
thabani33

This thread might have the gist of it:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...light=Realtech
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 02:55   #4
JCGaming
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
This thread might have the gist of it:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...light=Realtech
An absolute tragedy in my opinion he shouldn't have showed it to square because I could have told Realtech what the reaction would be. CEASE AND DESIST!

Last edited by JCGaming; 17-07-19 at 03:06.
Old 17-07-19, 22:52   #5
LuckyEdge10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGaming View Post
An absolute tragedy in my opinion he shouldn't have showed it to square because I could have told Realtech what the reaction would be. CEASE AND DESIST!
I'm sorry but what? Realtech couldn't have released the remastered if they didn't show their project to Square Enix. If they would've done that, there would've been a punishment for them. Probably a very high fine.
Old 18-07-19, 02:17   #6
JCGaming
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
I'm sorry but what? Realtech couldn't have released the remastered if they didn't show their project to Square Enix. If they would've done that, there would've been a punishment for them. Probably a very high fine.
But from what I've read he didn't show the first 2 IOS to them they only found out about it after he showed the third then they cancelled his project and pulled the first 2 off sale as well but most of us had already downloaded them by then.
Old 18-07-19, 22:41   #7
LuckyEdge10

Quote:
But from what I've read he didn't show the first 2 IOS to them they only found out about it after he showed the third then they cancelled his project and pulled the first 2 off sale as well but most of us had already downloaded them by then.
Realtech VR HAS to show all their Tomb Raider-related projects to Square Enix. Realtech VR is the developer, Square Enix is the publisher. Realtech doesn't release the game, Square does.
Old 19-07-19, 18:45   #8
Dustie

Lol ofc Square has seen the first two ports, although who knows how MUCH of them saw before they put them up on sale... since the textures weren't upgraded all the way through. As annoying as it is it's not that surprising they pulled them... most likely we won't see these ports (or any new ports for the matter) back anytime soon.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 22:39   #9
JCGaming
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
Realtech VR HAS to show all their Tomb Raider-related projects to Square Enix. Realtech VR is the developer, Square Enix is the publisher. Realtech doesn't release the game, Square does.
So why did they approve the first 2 in the first place? Surely he made a mistake Don't get me wrong I think Realtech was the idiot here not Square but what went wrong and why couldn't they resolve there issues? I still don't understand it and I probably never will.
Old 20-07-19, 00:36   #10
LuckyEdge10

Quote:
So why did they approve the first 2 in the first place? Surely he made a mistake Don't get me wrong I think Realtech was the idiot here not Square but what went wrong and why couldn't they resolve there issues? I still don't understand it and I probably never will.
I'm sorry but...did you read the thread's posts?

Square Enix given TR1 and TR2's source code to Realtech VR, so that they could make the remasters. So they received the source codes in a LEGIT way.

But Square never given TR3's source code to Realtech VR, they probably contacted an old Core Design developer and got it from them. In fact, if I remember correctly, some hours after Realtech VR announced they were working on TR3's remaster, TR3's source code spreaded on GitHub. In this way, Square understood Realtech obtained TR3's source code in an illegal way, so they just stopped TR3's renaster development. They probably never will work with Realtech VR anymore.

Understood? Do you need any more explanation? Because I thought I was pretty clear before.

They stopped TR3's remaster development and probably never will get another developer to develop it since it is a very old game and only a very few people will be interested in it. Aslo because TR1 and TR2's mobile remasters didn't make much profit for Square Enix.