www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-01-20, 11:05   #1
Teone
Student

Default Google doesn't belive it's me

Google deny me the access to my account. He says he detected some suspicious activities so he wants to be sure it's really me.
The suspicious activities are because I was changing some settings in my GMail.
What? Changing settings is suspicious? Really?

So I re-entered the password, I answered the security question, I entered the code they send to another account... nothing. Still I can't login.

Have you ever experienced this issue?
And since I hate google, could you suggest me a valid alternative to google?

Thank you
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 11:58   #2
Maverin
Archaeologist

Teone is that really you?

In all seriousness though: depending on which device the settings were altered, Google might lock your account for security reasons. This is done to prevent hackers from accessing sensitive data. You should have received a mail concerning this issue where they'll explain some steps to unlock your account or to take further security measures. It's a little strange that your account remains locked after changing your password.

What message do you get when you're trying to log in now? Is it still that they have detected suspicious activity?
Old 08-01-20, 12:58   #3
Teone
Student

Quote:
Google might lock your account for security reasons.
Why Google doesn't ask me if I really want all this security policies?
I'd answer: No, thanks. There's no sensitive data in my account. Don't bother me.

Quote:
You should have received a mail concerning this issue
They send me a mail in an account I can't access? Very clever.

Quote:
It's a little strange that your account remains locked after changing your password.
I didn't change password. I only changed some setting preferences.

Anyway, I've done the procedure to recovery the account but it's not immediate. They need time to process the request.

I also wonder if the problem could be the DNS setting of my internet connection.
I set DNS free and this means that every time I connect I have a different server.
But I don't know if this is the problem.
Old 08-01-20, 13:05   #4
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teone View Post
I'd answer: No, thanks. There's no sensitive data in my account. Don't bother me.

Anyway, I've done the procedure to recovery the account but it's not immediate. They need time to process the request.

I also wonder if the problem could be the DNS setting of my internet connection.
I set DNS free and this means that every time I connect I have a different server.
Did your IP change? They may have detected a new location.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 13:30   #5
Teone
Student

^ I use OpenDNS since years (for P2P reasons).
It was never a problem. Maybe now it is.
Old 08-01-20, 16:50   #6
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:

I understand this frustration and used to think just like you, but they have to protect themselves against possible lawsuits. There are also older and "less gifted" people online who make very easy targets against hackers, hence why they "force" you to take some security precautions.

Haven't you provided your account with a secondary email address or a phone number?

It's recommended that you change your password, considering that Google probably assumes someone might have stolen your current one and therefore has access to your private, sensitive data.

I've had the same issue about 6 years ago. If I remember correctly, it might take up to 30 days before they've processed your request. I don't remember using a DNS myself back then. However, it was my Hotmail (now Outlook) account that got locked so this might be completely unrelated as to how Google operates.
Answered within the quote itself. Everything marked red.
Old 09-01-20, 22:40   #7
Teone
Student

Account restored!
I really don't know why this happened but... problem solved!
Old 11-01-20, 14:18   #8
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
That's bureaucracy and redtape for you, whoever is trying to help you has to do things a certain way even if it is counterproductive and they don't want to do it they have to do it.

A few years back I read about someone who went through exactly what you just went through when they couldn't remember the password for their email account and the person they were talking to sent the password reset email to the email account that they couldn't access.

Had the customer service representative they were talking to used a small bit of common sense they would have asked if there was a different email address that they could send the password reset email to.

Always have more than one email account if possible, having a backup email account is always a good idea for when things go wrong.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 17:47   #9
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Account restored!
I really don't know why this happened but... problem solved!
Glad to hear. Cheers!
Old 12-01-20, 09:22   #10
Teone
Student

My final hypotesis is that google disabled my account to force me to give a phone number or at least a secondary email. I never set these security options. I had only set the security question: "What's your dog's name?"
From time to time, they prompted me to give a phone number but I always clicked "Ignore".

Now I gave them a secondary email, so they are happy.