www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 16-01-20, 18:52   #1
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Default How would you feel if the Tomb Raider franchise's rights would ever get sold?

Hello everybody. Now I am only hypothetically asking you about how would all of you feel if Square Enix would ever sold the rights to the Tomb Raider franchise?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 19:00   #2
Portugalraider
Professor

Well, it would depend to whom they were sold to, because while there are better publishers than SE, there are also way, way worse ones as well.
Old 16-01-20, 19:05   #3
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Well, it would depend to whom they were sold to, because while there are better publishers than SE, there are also way, way worse ones as well.
Ok. I understand what you are saying. Because I know there are some franchises that were sold out from some of the publishers out there into the world.
Old 16-01-20, 19:08   #4
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
[/Thread]

The best possible answer to the question.
Old 16-01-20, 19:10   #5
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
[/Thread]

The best possible answer to the question.
Do you have anything in your own words to say about how would you feel if Square Enix have sold all the rights to the Tomb Raider franchise?
Old 16-01-20, 19:20   #6
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
Do you have anything in your own words to say about how would you feel if Square Enix have sold all the rights to the Tomb Raider franchise?
That is pretty much the answer any logical minded person would give on the matter. Now we can sit around and keep discussing on which publisher would be the best fit for the Tomb Raider franchise but that is an entirely different topic with quite a lot of factors in the mix.

Ubisoft, EA and Naughtydog come to mind as possible candidates given their extensive success with platform based games. But given EA and Ubisoft's reputation for extensive monitization, I really doubt the franchise would last long in the hands of either of those AAA companies. EA made some headway with the release of Starwars Jedi Fallen Order but they have a very bad tendency of going back to their old idiotic ways when their company starts to do good.

Last edited by Catapharact; 16-01-20 at 21:35.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 20:45   #7
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

It would be interesting ! That would mean some big changes. I don't think Square Enix are terrible but... there are not really good either.

SO first of all Konami is a big no. Maybe Capcom. Yeah... Capcom right now is good, I hope for long. They were not perfect in the past... I guess no studios are anyway.
Old 16-01-20, 20:50   #8
Rai

I'd be concerned over what that meant for the franchise, but I presume that whatever publisher bought TR, they'd do so with the hopes of making games to make their money back quite quickly, but then it depends on what developer they'd get to make them. All we could do is wait and see what they came up with.
Old 16-01-20, 21:25   #9
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

It depends on who it gets sold to.
Unfortunately for Squeenix TR isn’t a big cash cow like Call of Duty, Sims, Assassin’s Creed, etc that have tons of DLC, micro transactions, etc.

Squeenix wouldn’t get enough to warrant selling it to someone else unless they traded up somehow.

TR just isn’t in a position to be profitable to another company to buy and develop another title.

That’s not taking into consideration what way the new people would take the title. Maybe bring it back to the roots? Maybe continue what we have now? Maybe redesign it as an action comedy arcade game filled with in game money as a mobile game? Who knows! We already have a complete departure from the source material of TR which leaves the door wide open for really anything to happen.
Old 16-01-20, 23:21   #10
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I'd be concerned over what that meant for the franchise, but I presume that whatever publisher bought TR, they'd do so with the hopes of making games to make their money back quite quickly, but then it depends on what developer they'd get to make them. All we could do is wait and see what they came up with.
Wow!! Now that's a very great answer you for me Rai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
It depends on who it gets sold to.
Unfortunately for Squeenix TR isn’t a big cash cow like Call of Duty, Sims, Assassin’s Creed, etc that have tons of DLC, micro transactions, etc.

Squeenix wouldn’t get enough to warrant selling it to someone else unless they traded up somehow.

TR just isn’t in a position to be profitable to another company to buy and develop another title.

That’s not taking into consideration what way the new people would take the title. Maybe bring it back to the roots? Maybe continue what we have now? Maybe redesign it as an action comedy arcade game filled with in game money as a mobile game? Who knows! We already have a complete departure from the source material of TR which leaves the door wide open for really anything to happen.
There's certainly NO WAY IN HELL the Tomb Raider franchise would EVER go right back in to its roots like how Core Design have developed their own Tomb Raider games from their own perspective.

Last edited by TRExpertgamer; 16-01-20 at 23:25.