www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-01-20, 22:22   #11
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is what you get when Eidos Montreal tries to cater to an old fan base, and doesn't have a clue how to balance things out.

I just finished replaying Tomb Raider 2013 definitive edition, and Shadow doesn't even come close.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 22:22   #12
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Aren't there around 300 enemies? according to that post about all enemies in all the games and apparently that wasn't including DLC?
But it feels incredibly scarce.
Old 23-01-20, 22:26   #13
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Try playing Tomb Raider 2013 again, and go to the Shanty Town area. Drastic difference.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 22:26   #14
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is what you get when Eidos Montreal tries to cater to an old fan base, and doesn't have a clue how to balance things out.

I just finished replaying Tomb Raider 2013 definitive edition, and Shadow doesn't even come close.
Probably didn't help it's still the 2013 engine, which wasn't exactly build to do that, at all.

So are most of the 300 enemies not humans or something?

Last edited by Samz; 23-01-20 at 22:28.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 22:37   #15
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Try playing Tomb Raider 2013 again, and go to the Shanty Town area. Drastic difference.
Yeah, but I hate Shantytown. CD/EM just can’t get the right balance. Idk, even if it’s incomparable because of its shortness, Legend felt more varied in combat. Then things went downhill. It was either nearly no combat or Call of Duty: Tomb Raider Edition.
Old 23-01-20, 22:38   #16
Rai

Welcome LaraLaraLara

I agree there are to many weapons, but I think that's just a follow on from TR'13 and Rise. In TR'13, there were complaints about not enough weapon choice, not being able to go back to a previous gun/bow after an upgrade, so there has been a turnaround since then . EM just chose to keep the weapon choices.

In saying that, I for one am really happy they reduced the amount of combat in the game, especially in terms of human numbers. I felt there was more choice the approach between direct combat and stealth too.

Last edited by Rai; 23-01-20 at 22:40.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 22:50   #17
Portugalraider
Professor

I'll say this: there were many moments, especially during puzzle segments, where even the classics would throw like a wolf or two to shoot at, just to spice up slower segments a bit. Like you pulled a lever, opened a door somewhere and BAM sudden combat encounter. SotTR had many moments that those would have make the game a bit more active.

Hell, my personal best segments in SotTR already do this: the Cenote and Tree of Life - every time you solve a part of their respective main puzzles, you get a hold of Yaxxil attacking you. It keeps you in alert even when solving puzzles and it feels great!
Old 23-01-20, 23:06   #18
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Welcome LaraLaraLara

I agree there are to many weapons, but I think that's just a follow on from TR'13 and Rise. In TR'13, there were complaints about not enough weapon choice, not being able to go back to a previous gun/bow after an upgrade, so there has been a turnaround since then . EM just chose to keep the weapon choices.

In saying that, I for one am really happy they reduced the amount of combat in the game, especially in terms of human numbers. I felt there was more choice the approach between direct combat and stealth too.
I agree with this. I was glad that they‘ve reduced the combat in Shadow and gave more options to play stealthy. Sure, there could have been some more enemy encounters, but I would hate it if they would increase it to be like TR2013 again. The thought of Shanty Town still gives me shivers, such a stressful level.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 23:28   #19
Calvolt
Hobbyist

I think the problem was the fact that it was rare to get into a combat situation, for me at least. In the previous two games there were always combat involved in exploration aside from challenge tombs and crypts (rise), but in shadow it feels like most of the combat is packed together at some scenarios. (I remember realizing Lara picking up her bow and music changing in a dark area where I couldn't really see much, and getting hyped up for combat after what felt like an eternity )
Calvolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 23:32   #20
Prinz Eugen
Hobbyist

I personally do not mind that much, although I can see why some can feel that way. I do not mind because I like the exploration part much more. Sometimes I just wish I could hide Lara’s weapons when I walk