Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 20-08-21, 09:12   #1
gr00tcake
Inactive

Default Who ISN'T Getting Vaccinated?

Has anyone here decided not to get the vaccine? It seems as though everything is slowly being shut off to those who aren't taking it (such as clubs, and eventually employment), so I was wondering how you feel about it?

I'm personally not getting it, as I'm young and healthy and I trust my immune system, and have the right to choose what goes in my body. But I can't lie, the future does look scary and I do feel on edge quite a lot as no one knows what's even going on with this world right now.

Here in the UK they've announced that all big venues (concerts, clubs, festivals etc) will require vaccine passports as proof to enter from the end of September. I know for a fact that this passport will eventually be used in order to get a job, enter shops etc. Jarring.

This isn't a thread to hate on those who decided not to get it. Just want to create a safe space for anyone to talk since this is a harrowing time to be alive. Also open to private messages too if anyone wants to chat
gr00tcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 09:29   #2
DVDSpike

It isn't about trusting your immune system. You're young and healthy so you'd probably be fine. However the vaccines can also make it much more difficult for the virus to spread, as people who are healthy who otherwise would show symptoms and be ill for like a week, could now possibly be asymptomatic and are 'ill' only for a day or two.
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 09:47   #3
Rai

Whilst you're young and healthy you can still catch the virus. And you can still pass it on to someone older and less healthy, someone with a pre existing condition. While symptoms may be mild for you, it's not a guarantee and young, healthy people can still get seriously I'll and/ or be stuck with long covid. And then there's a person who caught it off you who could get seriously ill, or die. Vaccines aren't just about protecting an individual, they're about protecting others too. You could even catch it and be asymptomatic and pass it on unknowingly.

It is your choice, your body, but please reconsider as even young and healthy, you're still at risk. Getting a vaccine is just an extra step of taking care of yourself.

As for vaccine passports, whilst I'm not overly keen on the idea of someone being refused entry and missing out, it's basically the choice of the venue owner to have that requirement in place or if the government has made it a rule for venues to follow. It's an inconvenience for the unvaccinated, certainly, but it's about protecting others and preventing the spread. Prevention is better than a cure, as the saying goes. But the unvaccinated are pretty much relying on others to take responsibility for it.

Last edited by Rai; 20-08-21 at 10:00.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 12:08   #4
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Whilst you're young and healthy you can still catch the virus. And you can still pass it on to someone older and less healthy, someone with a pre existing condition. While symptoms may be mild for you, it's not a guarantee and young, healthy people can still get seriously I'll and/ or be stuck with long covid. And then there's a person who caught it off you who could get seriously ill, or die. Vaccines aren't just about protecting an individual, they're about protecting others too. You could even catch it and be asymptomatic and pass it on unknowingly.

It is your choice, your body, but please reconsider as even young and healthy, you're still at risk. Getting a vaccine is just an extra step of taking care of yourself.

As for vaccine passports, whilst I'm not overly keen on the idea of someone being refused entry and missing out, it's basically the choice of the venue owner to have that requirement in place or if the government has made it a rule for venues to follow. It's an inconvenience for the unvaccinated, certainly, but it's about protecting others and preventing the spread. Prevention is better than a cure, as the saying goes. But the unvaccinated are pretty much relying on others to take responsibility for it.
Essentially.

With a virus as contagious as this one, getting the vaccine is just as much about protecting other people as it is protecting you. It isn't sufficient to say "if I get sick, I will isolate myself." That prevents further transmission. But it is very likely you will have transmitted the virus to 5-9 other people while you were asymptomatic and didn't know you were ill.

That's honestly what having vaccine passports is going to be mostly to prevent. If the possibility of transmission was extremely low, then yes, your body, your choice. It is not. If you get infected, there is a high chance you are going to transmit it to someone else, and you won't even know you were contagious when you do this. Choosing not to get vaccinated also means you are willing to put others at risk during your asymptomatic period.

Last edited by Ashnod; 20-08-21 at 12:10.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 12:45   #5
charmedangelin

The point of the vaccine at this point it's to stop mutations. Sure you may think your fine, but the virus has mutated into several variants already and that's because people aren't getting vaccinated when they should.

The only end to this pandemic is when enough people get vaccinated to where the virus cannot mutate as quickly as it has now. Delta is far more potent then the original strain because of its capability to shed 5 times more viral particles then the original strain of Covid.

Delta especially is dangerous because it has demonstrated it's ability to infect and kill children, a group who was thought to be immune from Covid. My personal opinion is that everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated, we must stop this virus from mutations.

My greatest fear is that one day a mutation will arise that will effectively evade all the vaccines and we all will be forced back into lockdowns until a new vaccine is made. And it isn't impossible as several doctors in the CDC have expressed similar concerns given how quickly Covid has mutated and how dangerous the mutated virus is compared to the original strain.

Right now several states in the US are again overrun with Covid patients in which 99% of them hospitalized are unvaccinated. Covid isn't something to play around with, take your health seriously and be sure to get information from viable and reputable sources.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 20-08-21 at 12:48.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 13:07   #6
DOPE

Just because you’re young and healthy doesn’t mean the virus can’t get to you and do some serious damage especially with the variant and if you refuse to get vaccinated you don’t get to complain about restrictions put in place for the safety of everyone. It’s like saying because you consider yourself a competent driver you shouldn’t put your seatbelt on.. good luck then.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 13:16   #7
Sarah7777
Inactive

I prefer not to vaccinated due the autism that I had from the 3rd vaccine when I was 1 year old. I lost the ability to speak till 4 year old and difficult to social people till I turn 19 after graduation. My mother told me that I shouldn't vaccinated any of those vaccine because she doesn't want to return back from 23 year ago.
Sarah7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 13:17   #8
Quebsenuef

My family aren’t getting the vaccine. They don’t trust it, don’t think it’s necessary as the survive rate for Covid is high, they feel like they don’t have any risk factors, and very much think they’re invincible.

There’s hundreds of stories coming out now of people who are antivax in any of those ways I listed above that are getting Covid and getting seriously ill or even dying and then wishing that they got the vaccine. You can think it won’t affect you at all until it does. “I won’t get addicted to drugs, I’ll just try them once.” “I won’t get hit by a car if I run across the street without really looking. That only happens to others.” “It’s okay if I drive drunk tonight, I’m sure I’ll make it home safe. I’ll never be a statistic.”

The virus has a chance of mutating into something extremely dangerous. The virus wants to kill you. It wants to kill me. If anyone wants to ignore getting a vaccine and thinking they’ll be fine I support your right to your own body but if you fall sick during a global pandemic and deal with long term complications from Covid or die, don’t come to me for sympathy. My well has dried up.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 13:26   #9
jajay119

I'm young(ish) and healthy. I rarely get sick but I suspect I had covid in Feb 2020 as I've never been so I'll in my life. Both it and the first vaccine knocked me for six.

It's not just about you either: it's those who are more vulnerable than you to whom you may pass it.

It's, of course, your right to not get it but you can't be surprised there are repercussions for that decision.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 13:30   #10
redfox45

I was emotionally blackmailed into getting pfizer by a family member. Kind of wish I stood my ground with it a little.
Whether I got it and when I did should have been my choice. I probably would have gotten it eventually but this politicization of it all is just pathetic.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote