www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 30-10-21, 12:30   #19071
HarleyCroft
Professor

Sometimes Hollywood gambles on nobodies and it works out
https://www.vulture.com/2009/05/marv...ts_no-nam.html
Thor gave Chris and Tom's career a real kick in the pants
Old 30-10-21, 16:20   #19072
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I actually can imagine a CGI film at the time when they started discussion (pre-2000) being probably even bigger than the Angelina Jolie movie. We sort of had that era where films were experimenting with it like the Final Fantasy film and Toy Story which were experimental and the latter making huge bank for Pixar.

I reckon if they released a CGI movie in 1998, peak of Lara Croft world domination, it would have been huge. Part of what made Lara who she was back in the 90s was that mystique around her.

She was never written with layered emotions or a back story or any family drama in the games. Everyone wanted to know her and know all about her because of her mystique, people had their own opinions on who she was and imprinted that onto her being, and I think that's why today we can be so divided about her character.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 30-10-21 at 16:22.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 16:32   #19073
Not_a_Mutant
Hobbyist

Eternals apparently sucks, but I still hope that one day some director can take a "personal / indie" approach on TR, respecting the established character / story or c.

I say this, because Chloe Zhao was a indie director and then she jumps into a damn Marvel movie (which I'm not a fan by the way).
Villeneuve is another "auteur" director and mainstream at the same time. And there are many such cases.

Even Luc Besson could have had his shot: chicks with guns (The Professional, Anna, La Femme Nikkita) + archeology / isoteric / supernatural stuff (5th Element, Adele Blanc-Sec) + stylish realism (The Big Blue)

They'll just need faith in the material, they've already tried the "block buster" approach three times and somehow failed on all of them (except for AJ fans who consider those movies to be the TR adaptations, and Anjelina as the real Lara )
Not_a_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 17:48   #19074
PinkyPromise
Professor

No Time to Die 600M WorlWide and it is already TOP 5 of the year. I don't think MGM can complain ...

Quote:
Even Luc Besson could have had his shot: chicks with guns (The Professional, Anna, La Femme Nikkita) + archeology / isoteric / supernatural stuff (5th Element, Adele Blanc-Sec) + stylish realism (The Big Blue)

Luc Besson was interested in directing TR in 1997. But nothing could materialize. He directed "Adele and the Mummy Mystery" which is kind of like a female Indiana Jones. He would have been a great choice.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 19:28   #19075
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
No Time to Die 600M WorlWide and it is already TOP 5 of the year. I don't think MGM can complain ...

Luc Besson was interested in directing TR in 1997. But nothing could materialize. He directed "Adele and the Mummy Mystery" which is kind of like a female Indiana Jones. He would have been a great choice.
He has confirmed it was only a rumor on his website at the time.

I have decided to put the video about the AJ movies in two parts for the following reasons :

Since the first part about the first movie last around 1h20 I figured out it will be too much to talk about COL directly after for the audience

Also I need some time to write, research and record and I don't want to rush everything for the sake of releasing quickly a video.

The first part is almost done I think this week the editing will be complete.

I still need to receive the animation etc

So this month the first part is normally released.

The second part will contain (COL production/the legacy of the movies,the conclusion and the credits). It will last I suppose 30min.

Last edited by Ellioft; 01-11-21 at 20:57.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 00:28   #19076
HarleyCroft
Professor

Looking forward to it, Ellioft
Old 04-11-21, 17:41   #19077
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

With Michael DeLuca staying on through the MGM/Amazon merger do you guys think the reason this might be taking a while longer than expected is because they're waiting for that to officially happen?

Tomb Raider would be a pretty big coup for Amazon to branch out theatrically and MGM could use Jeff's money to make this film on a bigger budget with good marketing.
Old 15-11-21, 20:21   #19078
PinkyPromise
Professor

is anyone else worried?? I know Misha appeared in TR25anniversary videos but ... MGM is announcing projects and all the silence about Tomb Raider scares me. No rumors, nothing. It's pretty weird.

I remember with TR2018 there were rumors of locations and things like that many months before ... it's all so quiet. I just hope the sequel to TR isn't another hellish development and goes away.

James Bond has surpassed 700M worldwide at the box office.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 15-11-21 at 20:36.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 23:05   #19079
Rai

Someone tweeted about TR2/Obsidian with a bunch of things 'we know' about the movie, including characters and potential plot points. Was this a wind up because I didn't think we knew anything at all about the sequel. Confused is an understatement.
Old 15-11-21, 23:11   #19080
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Nothing official is known at this point other than Alicia is returning and Misha is directing.