Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 09-12-19, 22:24   #741
DaroRaider

Quote:

Hopefully it's just a matter of replacing the head mesh, hope i don't have to rebuild the Lara object.
I remember that my very very first level there in 2002 had the same matter.
Only every time I shot the mesh of the head disappeared.
Try to check the "Lara Pistol Anim" well ..
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 00:36   #742
Danath

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
I remember that my very very first level there in 2002 had the same matter.
Only every time I shot the mesh of the head disappeared.
Try to check the "Lara Pistol Anim" well ..
Ok, now i am really starting to get worried...
This problem happens when i load my last map, then exit to the main menu, and start a new game.
If you start the first map normally from the main menu, nothing is wrong.
I also checked the pistol animations as you say, but i cannot find anything wrong there.

It's always problems, isn't it... Now how the heck do i fix this.
I was laughing a lot, but not anymore :\
Danath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 03:20   #743
DaroRaider

Have you checked doing the same in the official tr2 game? Or even in a customized levelset?
I mean, for example, download Feder's Hidden Dagger, make the same procedure, load the last map, exit to the game menu and start a new game..
You have to start to deduce..
Old 10-12-19, 17:52   #744
Danath

Unhappy

Quote:
Have you checked doing the same in the official tr2 game? Or even in a customized levelset?
I mean, for example, download Feder's Hidden Dagger, make the same procedure, load the last map, exit to the game menu and start a new game..
You have to start to deduce..
I have tried in the original game and it doesn't happen, as expected. I also have tried in Hidden Dagger and also doesn't happen, but there aren't any outfit changes in the game so it is also expected...

It only happens in my game, where there are 3 different outfits. :\
And it also happens if i load the Syberian or Underwater levels first then exit to the menu and select the first map.

Right now i want to focus on finishing the game, i can always worry about this later.
You are experienced in TR data files, if you could check my base files for errors i would be grateful. I could send you a copy of the ones i'm using.
Old 10-12-19, 20:44   #745
Topixtor

Something like that happens (or happened before the final version) in thewolf's Untold Adventure, he even warns about it in the readme; nothing is wrong while playing for the first time, but if you load a save from the first level lara's head disappears when shooting;
I have no idea how this could happen, he mentions wrong head meshes for saving texture space but if the mesh is wrong it should show even on the first playthrought...
Topixtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 22:42   #746
DaroRaider

Danath, try to do the following: change the outfit (Lara Anim, Lara Pistol Anim, etc.) in each of your levels and replace it with those of Feder or with the original outfit to see if that error comes out. But it most likely has to do with the changes you have made to your own custom outfit ..
Old 11-12-19, 02:55   #747
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Something like that happens (or happened before the final version) in thewolf's Untold Adventure, he even warns about it in the readme; nothing is wrong while playing for the first time, but if you load a save from the first level lara's head disappears when shooting;
I have no idea how this could happen, he mentions wrong head meshes for saving texture space but if the mesh is wrong it should show even on the first playthrought...
Interesting, i didn't remember that.
I have checked in TRViewer all the meshes and animations for the weapons, there's no missing mesh and the animations display properly.

Quote:
Danath, try to do the following: change the outfit (Lara Anim, Lara Pistol Anim, etc.) in each of your levels and replace it with those of Feder or with the original outfit to see if that error comes out. But it most likely has to do with the changes you have made to your own custom outfit ..
Since the head is the only thing breaking, i have tried replacing the head mesh for the "Lara" object with the original from Core for all my levels ( if you check the animation objects, you will see the head doesn't change except for the Uzi one ). Then i recompiled the levels again.
But it keeps happening.

The reason i had edited the head mesh previously was to replace the texture on her cheeks, because i saw a seam in it:

I know, insignificant, but i still wanted to correct it
Old 11-12-19, 05:39   #748
thewolf
Golden

Hello Danath,

I've heard that you have problems with Lara's head. The problem you have happens when you play for example level 4 and right after you want to load level 2?

I had similar problems with my Untold Adventure level set.
The reason this happens is because you deleted weapons and their animations. Let's say in level 2 you only have pistols and shotgun. In level 4 you have auto pistols and uzis
added to the base file. The game somehow remembers the weapons you have and had. When you play the last level and reload the first level you will get the same effect.

There might be a different way to fix this but the only solution I could find was to not delete the weapons and their animations.
You can delete weapons and animations as long as you don't use them for your whole level set. Don't add new weapons to your basefile with each new level. Let all weapons you want to use in your basefile, don't delete them (same for their animations)even if you don't place them in the lower levels
If you don't use the harpoon gun for example in your whole level set , make sure to delete the harpoon gun and it's animation from all basefiles. If you want to use it don't delete it from your basefiles.
Core always had all weapons and animations in their basefiles for reasons.
For new game+ , weapon cheats or in case a player wants to go back to previous level to hunt secrets.......

The best solution would be to not delete any weapons and animations but this would require a lot of texture space.

Another solution: Texture your level with RView to avoid the texture limit. Texture as much as you want without hitting the limit anymore. You can put as many objects in your basefile till you reach 2046 textures and you will still be able to texture your whole level. Only downgrade is that you can't change geometry after you started to place textures

Good luck
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 19:11   #749
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Hello Danath,

I've heard that you have problems with Lara's head. The problem you have happens when you play for example level 4 and right after you want to load level 2?

The reason this happens is because you deleted weapons and their animations. Let's say in level 2 you only have pistols and shotgun. In level 4 you have auto pistols and uzis
added to the base file. The game somehow remembers the weapons you have and had. When you play the last level and reload the first level you will get the same effect.
You are my savior. ❤

Why didn't i think of this before? It makes perfect sense, even if it's kind of stupid at the same time.
The game is designed to have the player encounter new weapons, you find the last one in level 5. So yes, i deleted those weapon animations that are unused in the levels to avoid hitting the cursed texture limit as much as possible, so you guys could test level 1 and 2 back then.

Quote:
Another solution: Texture your level with RView to avoid the texture limit. Texture as much as you want without hitting the limit anymore. You can put as many objects in your basefile till you reach 2046 textures and you will still be able to texture your whole level. Only downgrade is that you can't change geometry after you started to place textures
Yep you discovered this method, but i'm delaying using this as much as possible.
The betatest process would be miserable with this texturing method. Imagine, the testers discover something that needs room/geometry altering, and having to redo all the texturing.

I have some questions about this method, if you could answer them i would be very grateful:
- When you do the texturing in RView, does this prevent you from altering non-texture things in Dxtre, like lighting, objects, triggers or anything else?
- What about animated textures? Can you create and apply those with RView?

Let's hope i don't have to end up using this. 😬
Old 11-12-19, 22:32   #750
DaroRaider

Quote:

You left the lair to come to the aid of Danath, well done!

Last edited by tlr online; 12-12-19 at 06:06. Reason: Images removed. See FAQ on posting images.