www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 09-09-22, 03:33   #1
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Default How was some of the early versions of TR3 based on TR2'S game engine?

Hello all of you TR fan fanatics. Now I'm here to ask a question to get educated about this... Can you please explain to me how was some of the early builds & the E3 1998 version of TR3 based on the latest version of TR2'S game engine?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 06:54   #2
Joey79100
Professor

Ok there is one thing you really need to understand.

There is no "TR1, TR2, TR3 engine". These are just names that were given to identify easily each version that was shipped with each released game.

There is 1 engine for TR1 to TR5, and it's just different versions.
They started with TR1, and they kept making evolutions to it as they needed for their games, as they developed the levels, with no interruption.
And it happens that the games were, every time, released with one specific version of this engine, which is what we call the TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4, and TR5 engines for easier identification of the versions. But it's all different versions of the same engine.
For example, at some point they decided to add colored lighting to the engine, and they added it. At a later point, between TR3 and TR4, they decided to add the ability to make Lara's limbs connected smoothly and they added it. At some point they mah notice a bug, and fix it. Etc etc.

Those "engines" are not actual separate products that they developed before creating each game. There is no "we were using the TR2 engine and decided to switch to a new TR3 engine". It is just 1 engine.
You could consider, *if you insist*, that the "TR3 engine" is a superior version of the TR2 engine. But it's like saying Mozilla Firefox 60 is an evolved version of Mozilla Firefox 3, it's just "natural" evolution (i put "natural", between quotes because of course software don't grow out on trees, it's code that people make deliberate additions/modifications to).
They're just a product that they make evolve over time, and release specific versions at some point in time.

So there is no "latest version of the TR2 engine", or specific "TR3" engine. Erase that concept of your mind, this is something you invented in your own mind.
It's just the way the engine was at this point in time, and nothing more, there's really nothing special, or hidden, about this.

It's only with TR6 that they actually wrote a totally different engine from scratch again, with completely different code, principles, behaviors, etc.
And for TR7 Crystal used yet another engine, which they originally used for other of their games, and that they kept reusing up until their latest TR game if i remember correctly (also with evolutions over time).

-----

Also, all of this is common knowledge. This is not knowledge I specifically detain. If you want more information about this you can ask in this thread and anyone who has an answer will answer when they decide to answer. Don't send me OR ANYONE ELSE even a single PM.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 11:56   #3
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Ok there is one thing you really need to understand.

There is no "TR1, TR2, TR3 engine". These are just names that were given to identify easily each version that was shipped with each released game.

There is 1 engine for TR1 to TR5, and it's just different versions.
They started with TR1, and they kept making evolutions to it as they needed for their games, as they developed the levels, with no interruption.
And it happens that the games were, every time, released with one specific version of this engine, which is what we call the TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4, and TR5 engines for easier identification of the versions. But it's all different versions of the same engine.
For example, at some point they decided to add colored lighting to the engine, and they added it. At a later point, between TR3 and TR4, they decided to add the ability to make Lara's limbs connected smoothly and they added it. At some point they mah notice a bug, and fix it. Etc etc.

Those "engines" are not actual separate products that they developed before creating each game. There is no "we were using the TR2 engine and decided to switch to a new TR3 engine". It is just 1 engine.
You could consider, *if you insist*, that the "TR3 engine" is a superior version of the TR2 engine. But it's like saying Mozilla Firefox 60 is an evolved version of Mozilla Firefox 3, it's just "natural" evolution (i put "natural", between quotes because of course software don't grow out on trees, it's code that people make deliberate additions/modifications to).
They're just a product that they make evolve over time, and release specific versions at some point in time.

So there is no "latest version of the TR2 engine", or specific "TR3" engine. Erase that concept of your mind, this is something you invented in your own mind.
It's just the way the engine was at this point in time, and nothing more, there's really nothing special, or hidden, about this.

It's only with TR6 that they actually wrote a totally different engine from scratch again, with completely different code, principles, behaviors, etc.
And for TR7 Crystal used yet another engine, which they originally used for other of their games, and that they kept reusing up until their latest TR game if i remember correctly (also with evolutions over time).

-----

Also, all of this is common knowledge. This is not knowledge I specifically detain. If you want more information about this you can ask in this thread and anyone who has an answer will answer when they decide to answer. Don't send me a single PM.
Ok. I understand. But according with the script data for the PC platform of the E3 1998 version of TR3 shows me there's no name of the loading screenshot showing anywhere in the level picture file name list. So then how could it be playable without using any loading pictures for the PC platform of the E3 1998 version of TR3? You see? This is what I mean... Which is the reason why it looks like it's based on the latest version of TR2'S game engine. And if you believe it isn't, then you probably could be right as it probably could be the same engine of TR3 as from the retail version of TR3 without using multicolor lighting. So am I correct about this? I hope I'm on the right track to understand this as I won't be lost to get myself educated about this
Old 09-09-22, 15:45   #4
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Why do you want to know ?
Old 09-09-22, 18:52   #5
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Why do you want to know ?
Because ever since I did started to have fun playing with the E3 1997 version of TR2 with my experience, it basically looked like it was based on the latest version of TR1'S game engine with giving Lara the animations to walk on shallow sides of waters/pools and climbing up on ladders. This is the reason why I just need to know the reason why how was the E3 1998 version of TR3 based on TR2'S game engine because this is what I kept on seeing in articles and that's what I kept hearing about the E3 1998 version of TR3. Do you even know if it's possible to develop the animation how Lara crouches and rolls on the floor/ground from the E3 1998 version of TR3? And another what's obvious from that particular version is that the monkey swing animation is completely different. Now I just want to know if any of us can give Lara these types of animations for the retail version besides adding the early beta sprinting animation to the game (to apply the E3 1998 animations to Lara in the digital steam and or GOG version of TR3)... Is it possible for us to do that?
Old 09-09-22, 19:09   #6
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
Ok. I understand. But according with the script data for the PC platform of the E3 1998 version of TR3 shows me there's no name of the loading screenshot showing anywhere in the level picture file name list. So then how could it be playable without using any loading pictures for the PC platform of the E3 1998 version of TR3? You see? This is what I mean... Which is the reason why it looks like it's based on the latest version of TR2'S game engine.
Every game from TR1 to TR5 is ‘based’ on the same engine, but with adding improvements in each game.

The reason there is no loading screens in the E3 1998 version of TR3, is because they had not added that improvement to the engine yet.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-22, 20:42   #7
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Every game from TR1 to TR5 is ‘based’ on the same engine, but with adding improvements in each game.

The reason there is no loading screens in the E3 1998 version of TR3, is because they had not added that improvement to the engine yet.
Which is basically for the PC platform of course. So are you saying that it's considered a bug or a glitch? I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
Old 10-09-22, 11:13   #8
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
So are you saying that it's considered a bug or a glitch? I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
I am not saying it’s a glitch. When E3 happened in May 1998, Core Design had not made the loading screens yet for the PC version of Tomb Raider 3. They had not put loading screens in the engine yet. When Tomb Raider 3 was released in November 1998, they had finished creating the loading screens.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 13:59   #9
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I am not saying it’s a glitch. When E3 happened in May 1998, Core Design had not made the loading screens yet for the PC version of Tomb Raider 3. They had not put loading screens in the engine yet. When Tomb Raider 3 was released in November 1998, they had finished creating the loading screens.
Ok. But take a look in this video.

That's when they started to add in the loading screenshot for the 1st build (the E3 1998 version of TR3) of TR3. You see? I didn't even lie to you about it. It's the truth with what Core Design worked in the process of building up this version to present it out there in E3 1998

Last edited by TRExpertgamer; 10-09-22 at 14:07.