sackboy123

Because it is but might as well bring other graphically enhanced TRLE games too
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 21:58   #5372
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
Because it is but might as well bring other graphically enhanced TRLE games too
Open the links attached to my original post.
If you still think MoA is graphically more advanced, then you're entitled to that delusional opinion

edit: btw, the TRL screenshot is not next-gen content

Last edited by ThatSassyKid; 08-08-16 at 21:59.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 21:59   #5373
sackboy123

It's been my opinion since the start, the only impressive thing about Legend and Anniversary is the art style, that's all
Old 08-08-16, 22:00   #5374
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
It's been my opinion since the start, the only impressive thing about Legend and Anniversary is the art style, that's all
Fair enough, but they are still graphically better.
Even if not the best of their time, they are still graphically better than any game created from TRLE
Old 08-08-16, 22:39   #5375
jonathanrij

This discussion of TRLE having better graphics than TRL/TRA appears to be going around in circles now. I find it to be a little distracting now, especially when technically speaking it shouldn't even be up for debate.

I just want to say that flyby footage of Natla's Mines looks absolutely amazing! Unsurprisingly, it's so vibrant and full of life. Core's magic touch, particularly their use of rich colours and attention to detail, is very much evident. There's no doubt it would look even better in the actual engine too.

I do wonder if the video was rendered recently, though. Judging by the quality and aspect ratio I'm guessing it isn't.
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 00:01   #5376
Niveus

TRLE doesn't even have totally basic functions when it comes to graphics. No anti-aliasing, no bump maps (a "fake" version), no real shaders, no real time reflections, no real use of "alpha" channel, rendering is really poor causing clipping and disappearing polygons, efficiency is terrible which means you can't sustain the framerate if you display more than say 5,000 vertices.

Lara model from Legend alone consists of more vertices than the engine can render without crashing.

L/A/U have better graphics and that's an inarguable fact.

Colour schemes, textures, styles, details, "fun factor" etc is not really graphics but art direction, with is at your personal taste how you like it.

Just to add my five eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Yeah can someone confirm this? Like proper grabbable collisions? So you can make small and jagged ledges and such? I'll remake St Francis Folly myself if it's possible.
My guesswork : as far as I was aware, you were able to edit the dimensions of collision boxes for statics and moveables (not a new feature, re: StrPix, WADmerger, etc), and although I haven't done this myself room geometry collision was only editable within the click/square/triangle system. As in, you edited the mesh itself and suddenly felt the collision suits better with that vertex being one click lower, so more of a post-production edit (it saves scrapping all your Meta work to edit the .prj). It's absolutely 100% impossible to make collisions outside of that framework, it just wouldn't work without a massive engine mod to force it to accept the "illegal" collisions found in the .tr4 file and then on how to handle them, which of course meta2tr cannot do - the .tr4 file can tell tomb4 what the collision is only.

Obviously there are workarounds (and I think you are aware about them ), but an inordinate amount of effort and time must be invested (double size Lara to create the illusion of a square subdivided into 4, diagonal swingpole etc) and in my opinion it isn't worth it when you look at the outcome (even though to us lowly LE users, it seems like magic ). Instead you could learn to use a newer more capable engine in less time.

There is the chance that I am massively wrong and there is this feature somewhere. But if it existed, why would no one use it ? Maybe it is not all strawberries and cream. P'raps with the new plugin feature in 1.2.2.8, if it ever sees the light of day, the possibility to instruct the engine how to handle new collision types will become available.
Even then you would require someone fluent in the plugin language to undertake the enormous job, someone who can animate very well, and people would consistently nag for "can we have this collision option yet" or "when will this bug be fixed"... I can see the Collision Plugin Update thread already...

Last edited by Niveus; 09-08-16 at 01:53.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 09:21   #5377
Patrick star

Quote:
Except in such cases , there's no "opinions" , You can't say for example : "TR1 have better graphics than TR3" and call that an "opinion" of yours . Legend and Anniversary have better graphics than Mists of Avalon (or any other TRLE level) , that's just a FACT .

You can say you prefer the visuals , the scenery , the colors , the art direction yadayadayada of that TRLE "X" level more than any other official TR game and that's still fair enough (as all of these have NOTHING to do with graphics) , but to say that they have the "superior" graphics ? I'm sorry , but this is uttery absurd and deliusional .

Last edited by Patrick star; 09-08-16 at 09:22.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 09:29   #5378
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Except in such cases , there's no "opinions" , You can't say for example : "TR1 have better graphics than TR3" and call that an "opinion" of yours . Legend and Anniversary have better graphics than Mists of Avalon (or any other TRLE level) , that's just a FACT .

You can say you prefer the visuals , the scenery , the colors , the art direction yadayadayada of that TRLE "X" level more than any other official TR game and that's still fair enough (as all of these have NOTHING to do with graphics) , but to say that they have the "superior" graphics ? I'm sorry , but this is uttery absurd and deliusional .
Exactly what I was trying to say
You can prefer something, but that doesn't make it graphically better
Old 09-08-16, 09:30   #5379
sackboy123

Like I said before, the graphics look too bland and someone can say graphics in TR1 look better then the graphics in TR3 if they wanted. Everyone sees games differently and are honestly impressed by different graphics. They is never a fact when it comes to which game has better graphics, it's the way people see it
Old 09-08-16, 09:34   #5380
ThatSassyKid

The graphics don't look bland..the colour scheme does..