Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 22-02-20, 15:57   #6361
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
For a PSP game it looks quite good to me.

Crystal’s Anniversary does have nice graphics, but the color pallet is so freaking drab. Core’s game looks so vibrant and lively in comparison. The two devs have (had) very different art styles.
Believe it or not, Crystal was more faithful to the original because both games used muted colors for lighting. The problem is that the original game had very bright and saturated textures to make up for it.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 16:48   #6362
ggctuk

Quote:
For a PSP game it looks quite good to me.

Crystal’s Anniversary does have nice graphics, but the color pallet is so freaking drab. Core’s game looks so vibrant and lively in comparison. The two devs have (had) very different art styles.
Definitely, and it became really obvious in the Lost Island section. Beyond the amount they cut out of those levels, the levels look so... grey, lifeless, and empty. The original had been very rich in reds and beiges, suitable for the 'living incubator' the levels basically served as.

Really unfortunate that nobody made or finished levels with that original style, modernized (I'm one of those people since I was working on a TRUB remake some years ago)
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 17:16   #6363
Trenton

Quote:
Yeah, the most mind boggling decision is how Crystal opted to make Egypt grey instead of yellow. Because of that Anniversary basically has several sections following each other all having that same grey colour palette.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 19:28   #6364
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah, the most mind boggling decision is how Crystal opted to make Egypt grey instead of yellow. Because of that Anniversary basically has several sections following each other all having that same grey colour palette.
The PSP version is worse - because of the console's limitations, in order to account for increased loading times between sections there are several hallways added in to certain levels. In Egypt, that means you're assailed by drab, grey corridors between sections too.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 10:48   #6365
RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post

It still breaks my heart.
It really is heartbreaking, seeing as how close to the original it looked, how well it is designed and how much more fun it looks to play, apart from the stiff running animation.

The TRA we got was all about graphics but the gameplay was terrible and boring. Thanks CrystalD.

I'm still hoping for a PROPER remake of TR1, 2 and 3, but from a competent developer.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 10:54   #6366
Caesum

I honestly think they would have changed the animation if they had time. They already redesigned entire climbing system so I suppose the classic anims were only placeholders used to make controls more like original games.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 18:26   #6367
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I honestly think they would have changed the animation if they had time. They already redesigned entire climbing system so I suppose the classic anims were only placeholders used to make controls more like original games.
I doubt it. Core really like their animations for whatever reason, even AOD's are based on the classics
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 19:26   #6368
Joey79100

Yet AOD's animation were completely new. Yes, she followed the same "patterns", she tried to do the same moves, but it's much more as if a real person was used to motion capture those moves actually. It's so much more detailed and graceful, it's almost insulting to say they're the same animations as the classics.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-20, 01:05   #6369
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
I doubt it. Core really like their animations for whatever reason, even AOD's are based on the classics
Nah, you can see they had changed the shimmy and head-high vault-up animations.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-20, 04:38   #6370
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Yet AOD's animation were completely new. Yes, she followed the same "patterns", she tried to do the same moves, but it's much more as if a real person was used to motion capture those moves actually. It's so much more detailed and graceful, it's almost insulting to say they're the same animations as the classics.
AOD Lara had the most graceful animations, hands down! What that game lacked was the responsiveness. When you compare Lara's moves in the reboot to AOD (or hell, even the classics) it's a bit painful. She's so wonky and spastic. Thematically that made sense for TR2013, but it's about time she tightened her **** up.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote