Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 11-01-23, 10:33   #11
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Shrinking, stumbling, slouching, apologizing, hiding-behind-hair Lara could be 7 feet tall and still seem like a pipsqueak. At least a freakish height would explain her awkwardness
I came here to say this, albeit not this brually

I don't really see why they had to make her smaller than CLara, but her horrible animations don't help.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-23, 10:36   #12
JimbobJeffers

You guys got me curious I unpacked the SotTR game files and extracted the model with Noesis, so its scale should be accurate to how it is in-game.

The red block is her actual in-game height, 146cm / 4'9.5"
The blue block is 167.64cm / 5'6"
Including the blocks being raised slightly because of her tall boot heels.

For comparison, Konstantin stands 170cm / 5'7" tall

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 11-01-23 at 17:33.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-23, 11:25   #13
jajay119

No wonder Konstantin was so angry; little man syndrome.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-23, 12:12   #14
Garrett_thief

I honestly cannot say that in the 26 years that I've been playing TR games, I have never even noticed Lara's height. How does it affect the gameplay? Why is it even an issue for people?
Garrett_thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-23, 12:52   #15
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett_thief View Post
I honestly cannot say that in the 26 years that I've been playing TR games, I have never even noticed Lara's height. How does it affect the gameplay? Why is it even an issue for people?
I doesn't affect gameplay, no. I think the issue that people have with Lara's height has been expressed in the thread by multiple people - it's just how small Lara looks compared to other characters and smaller than her given height of 5'6. That and her posture is so awkward for a character who is so athletic. If ya gonna give a character a height, at least make it look like she's that height and not tiny. Another issue for some is that Lara was apparently 5'9 in the classics, so CD shrank her by 3 inches. As i said in my previous post, I think that it was CD's intention to show how Lara's size is not a disadvantage, which is a fair point, imo, but they didn't need to make her in game model so small to achieve that affect. Just look at the example given by JimbobJeffers. If Lara is supposed to be 5'6 and Konstantin is 5'7, that shouldn't be such an obvious difference.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-23, 13:01   #16
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
You guys got me curious I unpacked the SotTR game files and extracted the model with Noesis, so its scale should be accurate to how it is in-game.

The blue block is 167.64cm / 5"6'
They made her less than 5 feet high? No wonder she looks child-sized in places.

I remember Konstantin looking bigger than 5' 7" in Rise though, although it has been a while since I played it so maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

----

According to this site: https://www.onaverage.co.uk/body-ave...e-child-height

The average height of an 11 year old girl in the UK is 4ft 8.7in (144 cm)

If those measurements by Jimbob are correct, that's the height they've given Lara...

Last edited by Blackmoor; 11-01-23 at 13:05.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-23, 01:20   #17
CSEverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post

The blue block is 167.64cm / 5'6"
Including the blocks being raised slightly because of her tall boot heels.

For comparison, Konstantin stands 170cm / 5'7" tall
Wait a second... Konstantin's model is only 5'7"? He seems bigger than that. He seems to be at least 6', certainly a big guy. I suddenly have a hunch that all (or most) in game characters may be undersize. Please, extract the files and do the same for other characters when known official heights, such as Jonah and Whitmen. let's see if they scale out correctly as well, and perhaps Jonah and Lara from other games and see if they kept scaling constant or not.
CSEverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-23, 09:31   #18
Garrett_thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I doesn't affect gameplay, no. I think the issue that people have with Lara's height has been expressed in the thread by multiple people - it's just how small Lara looks compared to other characters and smaller than her given height of 5'6. That and her posture is so awkward for a character who is so athletic. If ya gonna give a character a height, at least make it look like she's that height and not tiny. Another issue for some is that Lara was apparently 5'9 in the classics, so CD shrank her by 3 inches. As i said in my previous post, I think that it was CD's intention to show how Lara's size is not a disadvantage, which is a fair point, imo, but they didn't need to make her in game model so small to achieve that affect. Just look at the example given by JimbobJeffers. If Lara is supposed to be 5'6 and Konstantin is 5'7, that shouldn't be such an obvious difference.
I think people are really reading too much into it. Just enjoy the games for what they are - fictional games.
Garrett_thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-23, 16:10   #19
Shirley_Manson

I thought she looked really athletic and pretty. : ( She doesn't look small at all to me. idk why people on these forums are so obsessed with Lara being the Ubermensch.

Quote:
I think people are really reading too much into it. Just enjoy the games for what they are - fictional games.
This.

Last edited by Shirley_Manson; 18-01-23 at 16:13.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-23, 20:03   #20
Cat Woman

Quote:
Agreed. I just enjoy playing the games.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote