www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 12-09-20, 20:36   #1741
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

I see the Feng Shui Flying Stars does more than to please our heart and eyes. This is all added to the theory of my own beliefs with what was happening with the replacement of the Tomb Raider franchise from Core Design (2003) to Crystal Dynamics (2004) to begin with of course.
Old 14-09-20, 17:13   #1742
ANoDE
Golden

Default Curve Jump Glitch

Hey folks,

I'm currently replaying AoD - I've stopped for a while so I'm not all that familiar with the control scheme anymore.

I've managed to make it to the Hall of Trophies - but here I've encountered something odd with the controls, I just can't wrap my head around.

At the beginning of the level, there's a pit where you have to navigate Lara over floating platforms, one hop at a time. I remembered that there is the "small jump" mode by pressing walk and jump at the same time - but nearly each time I do it, Lara decides to do a curved jump into the abyss, instead of jumping straight to the next platform. I'm not pressing any direction keys while performing the jump, so I don't understand why she turns mid-air.

Here's a video of what happens:

Has anyone ever encountered this? How does the game decide when Lara should do a curved jump?
I do have a controller connected, that I don't use for this game - could this be the culprit?
Old 14-09-20, 18:12   #1743
nakamichi680
Explorer

It's a known bug, already reported here with a possible fix:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...203208&page=78
nakamichi680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-20, 19:08   #1744
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichi680 View Post
It's a known bug, already reported here with a possible fix:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...203208&page=78
Wow, very cool. Thanks for this

-- Edit --
Ok, so I actually just gave up on this game. That Boaz fight is the worst thing I have ever had to endure in my whole gaming history. I might have been desperate enough to see the ending when I was younger - but now, I simply don't have time for this crap. Kurtis moves like he is glued to the floor and ALWAYS focuses the wrong hotspot (usally the one that is already disabled).
Whoever decided that this boss fight was ready to go into the game needs to be hired just to be fired again.

Don't get me wrong - I love AoD, or better, I love what it could have been - but this is simply the final straw. I'm this close to throwing my controller against my monitor - and that would be sad, because it's new.

-- Edit --
Finished it thanks to stella. This must have been the first time in the whole game, that you actually HAVE to press Roll to switch targets.

Last edited by ANoDE; 14-09-20 at 20:08.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-20, 12:53   #1745
ATombRaiderFan
Hobbyist

^The Boaz bossfight is also one of the times I had to consult a walkthrough alongside other times like Brother Obscura's tomb - I had no clue that a shotgun and shells lying around was a hint in itself, or doing a big jump to chase the timed door during Lost Domain level.

All of these seem to involve a technical solution rather than puzzle solving. AoD is an amazing game, but for first-time players it can be a real struggle.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-20, 19:22   #1746
Ringtir
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Finished it thanks to stella. This must have been the first time in the whole game, that you actually HAVE to press Roll to switch targets.
It was already implemented in TR4.

But afaik it wasn't useful at all and was never hinted on the game.

Maybe that is the "Last Revelation"
Ringtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 13:26   #1747
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringtir View Post

Actually I think it's been around since TR1, I at least remember it being a thing in TR2.

It's just..well, there was never really a need to and in all of the classic TR games, it's only mentioned in the manual in a brief throwaway line.
Old 16-09-20, 20:41   #1748
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Quote:

lol !

but seriously, it really was in TR4 ?
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 18:06   #1749
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
That Boaz fight is the worst thing I have ever had to endure in my whole gaming history. [...]
Did you have much trouble after you learned about the target switching? I've only ever played on PS2 and it seems like it's much easier on console than PC. My game always gives me literally HUNDREDS of bullets (and copies of Kurtis's gun, and Periapt shards...) so ammo has never been an issue for me. Thanks glitchy PS2 copy.

Quote:

Maybe that is the "Last Revelation"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
lol !

but seriously, it really was in TR4 ?
Yup, you can switch targets by tapping the "Look" button. Only mentioned in the manual. Lara's pretty good about switching targets herself, though, but it can be handy at times.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 20:29   #1750
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Did you have much trouble after you learned about the target switching? I've only ever played on PS2 and it seems like it's much easier on console than PC. My game always gives me literally HUNDREDS of bullets (and copies of Kurtis's gun, and Periapt shards...) so ammo has never been an issue for me. Thanks glitchy PS2 copy.

Yup, you can switch targets by tapping the "Look" button. Only mentioned in the manual. Lara's pretty good about switching targets herself, though, but it can be handy at times.
Ir was still a bit of a struggle as Kurtis' movements seem deliberately slow, bit it was managable afterwards.

I actually knew about the Look key being used for target switching - but in this game it's roll, which absolutely makes no sense at all.