www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-09-20, 15:51   #10591
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Which page(s) is this on exactly?
I've not come across such blocks of text.
Everything I've seen so far is spaced just fine.
The "find a level" page also has each level in another coloured line now. And the distance between each collumn on that page is also good here on my end.
The level listing. Compare it to Lara's Levelbase:

You understand what I mean by "block of text?" LLB provides all the same information as TRLE.net, but with the addition of a thumbnail and level description. Personally I find this much easier to read than the cramped TRLE.net list, and more enjoyable to browse, because I can see part of the level and even read what it's about without having to leave the listing page. And LLB is very outdated and could be improved majorly, too. But even their outdated layout is far more user friendly than TRLE.net's outdated layout.

I'll repeat myself cause I know my tone probably comes off as overly critical:
Quote:
I know it's unrealistic to expect or demand a better website from someone who pays money to host that website out of the goodness of their heart.
Michael doesn't owe me or anyone anything, so I don't expect anything from him! I'm just grateful that we still have TRLE.net all these years later, and that's thanks to him.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 16:50   #10592
LaraCablara
Professor

I admire his efforts but I think it might have been worth it to just create a sister site for levels going forward where you can create accounts and upload and update levels by yourself, as well as review them and respond to reviewers. The old website could have been left as is with only the reviews being updated by Michael.

I donít think trle.net as is can ever be updated to support that, especially without a team of people who are knowledgeable enough to rework it that way.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 17:34   #10593
Titak

@ Kapu:
I understand what you mean now.

I don't mind it being like that on trle.net.
Just about all info you need (except for story and screenshot) is on the list, and the rest of the info is only a click away.
Less pages to scroll through as well.

But the way the list is on LevelBase is nice.

Last edited by Titak; 16-09-20 at 17:36.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 18:58   #10594
HaniHeger
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
^ idk man, we've tried to give suggestions to michael and he says he "regrets having asked for opinions".
Oh I hope he's not into too much pressure right now, but the truth is that the new TRLE... could be better, he shouldn't do everything alone too.

Quote:
^
Changes have been made using the feedback Michael got.
For example on the info page, the thumbnail screenshots were reduced to 4 and put in a square. They did not enlarge much when hovering over them.
I just checked and they are now placed in one collumn on the right side of the info page. All 5 screenshots are back () and they do become bigger again compared to the thumbnails.
I like this change.
Oh yeah I just saw this yesterday, the thumbnails in the right corner are really good, and the "tab" buttons as well! The new organization of the website is something that I have no complaint, it's well done.
The problem really is the design, like those dark blue texts at the left corner of TRLE.net, not only they're too dark, the color is ugly and doesn't matches the rest of the color pallete. (btw, I really hope that the website brings back the old color pallete. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/SE3jHQC.png[IMG]
Well I personally have no problem with the old level listing, I always liked it, while the new one right now is just a little too high in the separating lines, should be fixed eventually. The idea of thumbnails and level description isn't so bad, but I like the level listing simpler, and easier to scroll, with pictures and description there would be fewer levels per page. But at the same time it would be worth it for not having to open another tab.... aaaa I don't know, for me it has its pros and cons, whatever comes out right?

Oh hey the Lara Icon on the website is back! I wonder if we are complaining too much about something that isn't completely finished yet?

Last edited by AkyV; 16-09-20 at 21:08.
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 17:47   #10595
Kapu
Professor

While having a thumbnail and description in the listing does take up more space than just a list of names would, it's a non issue when the space is used effectively.

The new TRSearch is the perfect example: When browsing, I can see 12 items listed at once on my screen (resolution of 1920x1080) with picture + description. There's 18 items listed per page, minimal scrolling. TRLE.net lists 20 items per page, all visible at once with no scrolling, no images/description.

My ideal listing setup for levels wouldn't be the same as TRSearch, but they're a good example of a website using screen real estate effectively. And their site is responsive, so the content changes dynamically fit the amount of space available.

I can't stress enough that I have no expectations, just throwing out hypothetical ideas. We're used to doing things one way, but that doesn't mean it's the only way.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 02:56   #10596
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
While having a thumbnail and description in the listing does take up more space than just a list of names would, it's a non issue when the space is used effectively.

The new TRSearch is the perfect example: When browsing, I can see 12 items listed at once on my screen (resolution of 1920x1080) with picture + description. There's 18 items listed per page, minimal scrolling. TRLE.net lists 20 items per page, all visible at once with no scrolling, no images/description.

My ideal listing setup for levels wouldn't be the same as TRSearch, but they're a good example of a website using screen real estate effectively. And their site is responsive, so the content changes dynamically fit the amount of space available.

I can't stress enough that I have no expectations, just throwing out hypothetical ideas. We're used to doing things one way, but that doesn't mean it's the only way.
i want you to rule the trle.net kingdom when michael dies
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 07:23   #10597
.snake.
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ6Wolf View Post
Speaking as a web developer, adding authentication to the main site will be a huge undertaking. I'm certainly not shutting down the idea, as it would open the door to many possibilities: being able to manage your reviews and reviewer profile, maybe even upload your levels directly to the site, or make edits to them, and so on. However, I anticipate the following challenges:
  • The server has a historical precedence of being hacked. I can hear you ask "who cares, it's just reviews and stuff, it's not important data", but the mere fact that you have an account with an email address and a password associated with it is a liability. For instance, most people tend to use similar passwords across sites, so if your password is leaked on one site, the rest of your credentials could be at risk. (Having your email leaked is not great either, probably not as bad though). Without being familiar with the server I'm not sure what exactly would need to happen, but it could include things like installing a good firewall, setting up automated backups, two-factor authentication (at least for the admin), and so on. Most of those solutions will cost money.
  • The site currently does not have a security certificate, one really needs to be added to both the main site and the forums (and that tends to cost money). There's a good reason why your browser yells at you when you log into the forums over there.
  • Builder and review profiles are currently separate entities in the database. The account could certainly tie into the reviewer profiles initially, but people will eventually expect the builder profiles to be merged in, and that is no small feat.
  • The forum software has its own authentication. People will probably expect their main site account to also work in the forums, but if the forums cannot handle a single sign-on setup, then users will need to juggle two sets of credentials, and log in separately into those two parts of the site.

I do not specialize in security, so take this with a grain of salt. But the bottom line is that doing this properly is a long road, and if authentication was slapped onto the site as-is, I would be wary of adding an account on there.
Wow you're so right with that. I didn't even think of the hacking involved if everyone would have their own account and passwords. I guess just some sort of verification for authentic reviews would be nice - like an automated email from Michael saying "Dear X, thank you for reviewing level X. If you did not submit this review, please contact me asap. If you did submit this review, ignore this message."

But Michael has a point... if the issues really are less than 0.8% of reviews than I guess it doesn't matter.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 09:14   #10598
MBog
Archaeologist

Is there no download button in the main page of the level ? (the one where you see the story and screenshots)
Old 18-09-20, 10:30   #10599
JMN
Explorer

Just above the level name.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 22:39   #10600
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
@ Kapu:
I understand what you mean now.

I don't mind it being like that on trle.net.
Just about all info you need (except for story and screenshot) is on the list, and the rest of the info is only a click away.
Less pages to scroll through as well.

But the way the list is on LevelBase is nice.
I quite like the more condensed list as well.

Perhaps a pop up window with a similar layout to the Levelbase entries displaying the main screenshot with level description could be added when you mouse over the level name? Then you keep the tidy format of the list, but also get to see all the information.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote