Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 28-07-18, 16:42   #1
charmedangelin

Default "You can't kill Lara Croft" Tomb Raider's future after Shadow

Hey guys, I saw this article and I'm not sure if it has been posted and talked about here. Basically the studio head of EM talks a little about Shadow and basically says that Tomb Raider as a franchise will continue, but EM has no plans on working on any future Tomb Raider games.

https://www-gamesradar-com.cdn.amppr...tomb-raider%2F
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 16:46   #2
Legends

Somebody posted it in General Chat I think. Anyway, I'm sure they still have some thoughts for the future. It's a golden opportunity to get some freshness into the franchise though.

Last edited by Legends; 28-07-18 at 16:48.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 16:48   #3
2001LC20
Inactive

I am sure CD is already starting to what to do with the next game!
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 17:04   #4
NoahCrofRaider

That is a bit of a concerning article for me. I don’t exactly expect EM to just immediately keep working on more TR games (though I’d honestly love it if they did), but I also really don’t want CD returning as the main developers for another TR game, assuming they’re the reason for lack of response to fan feedback.

That’s what I love so much about EM: They’ve been listening to so much fan feedback, and that is why so many people love Shadow.

CD were inconsistent with listening and applying fan feedback to their TR games. Sometimes they would and people would love it, while other times they would constantly ignore it which can be a good and bad thing. Although, this could be due to SE too, so it’s kind of hard to say.

This isn’t a knock on CD because I’ve loved what they’ve done, save for some mistakes, but I’ve enjoyed what EM has seemingly done so much more.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 17:10   #5
Rai

As was pointed out before EM did not say they have no plans for working on more TR games, they said "yet". The actual quote: "Honestly, we are not thinking about that yet. We have no plan on our side on Eidos Montreal for the next Tomb Raider at all. Nothing. Honestly."

For the next game. On their side. Yet. I think this is an important distinction.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Of course they're not thinking of another game while Shadow is not released yet and even then there's several months of DLC releases to go.

Any concepts and early planning stages of the next game could happen soon or have even started with Crystal Dynamics. Yes, I know CD are working on the Avengers, but there could be a small team who finished their work on that game, even Shadow and have made a start. I'm thinking of researchers, concept artists etc. EM could come in later. EM's priority is Shadow right now.

Why are we even thinking about the next game before the current one is even released? .

Last edited by Rai; 28-07-18 at 17:13.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 17:27   #6
biscuits

I don't think Eidos will continue to work on Tomb Raider tbh. They have to work on their Guardians Of The Galaxy game. They've also confirmed that they intend to return to Deus Ex, as that's their flagship franchise.

I'm guessing Crystal will return to work on the fourth game after they finish work on Avengers.
But nevermind that! Shadow didn't even come out yet.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 18:00   #7
AntRaidsTombs

CD will continue, it’s pretty self explanatory.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 18:04   #8
jajay119

EM and CD will work on whatever Square Enix tell them to. I would imagine if this game does well they’ll continue with the current setup but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting for the release and response to shadow before they make any decisions. That added to the probability there will need to be some big decisions about where the series goes after the survivor trilogy to avoid it being stale I don’t think there being no plans in the works right now is surprising at all.

Last edited by jajay119; 28-07-18 at 18:05.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 18:11   #9
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
EM and CD will work on whatever Square Enix tell them to. I would imagine if this game does well they’ll continue with the current setup but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting for the release and response to shadow before they make any decisions. That added to the probability there will need to be some big decisions about where the series goes after the survivor trilogy to avoid it being stale I don’t think there being no plans in the works right now is surprising at all.
This.
They'll probably wait for Shadow's sales and reception before making a big decision. It's too early to jump to any conclusions right now.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 18:13   #10
AshesBorn

I think it's way too early for us to worry about the next game when the current one isn't even out yet.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote