www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 18-09-18, 22:40   #1
OzzyOreo
Hobbyist

Default Not working on PS3

So i have the original ps1 disc for tr2 and it just won't run on my ps3. the loading screen appears (without music) and once you start the game it just goes blank... My ps3 is backwards compatable since the other classics work, but why not tr2? anyone else encountered this? (the disc is perfectly fine since it works on my ps2)
OzzyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 00:31   #2
Peixoto
Historian

Because sony doesn't give a rat's ass for old games unless you pay for them a second (or third) time
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 00:58   #3
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

TR2 is complicated to work. Put TR1 Disk in. Let it load the menu. Replace the disk with TR2 while TR1 menu is still on. start New Game or Croft Manor (Doesn't matter what you do here just make sure you enter a loading screen) it will then be a blank screen. Press the PS home button on the controller and reset the game. TR2 should work perfectly
Old 19-09-18, 11:06   #4
dcw123
Relic Hunter

I had an issue like this, but on my PS2 slim.
I tried to play TR1 and it loads and the sound plays, but no picture.

For some reason TR1 (and perhaps even TR2) don't like a 5 plug component scart cable

So now I have a TR1 physical disc, thats effectively useless
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 11:21   #5
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
Because sony doesn't give a rat's ass for old games unless you pay for them a second (or third) time
That's not true. Don't talk rubbish.
Old 19-09-18, 12:04   #6
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
TR2 is complicated to work. Put TR1 Disk in. Let it load the menu. Replace the disk with TR2 while TR1 menu is still on. start New Game or Croft Manor (Doesn't matter what you do here just make sure you enter a loading screen) it will then be a blank screen. Press the PS home button on the controller and reset the game. TR2 should work perfectly
Never heard of TR2 being a problem with the PS3 until this thread but a bit of searching here and elsewhere show it is a well known issue reported in threads dating back over 8 years.

That solution ^ is said to work for most users so thanks to sackboy123 for posting it.

Last edited by fallenangle; 20-09-18 at 11:45.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 13:26   #7
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
Never heard of TR2 being a problem with the PS3 until this thread but a bit of searching here and elsewhere show it it a well known issue reported in threads dating back over 8 years.

That solution ^ is said to work for most users so thanks to sackboy123 for posting it.
I'm well aware of this problem back in 2011 but I never had this issue. All TR series works well on my original PS3 60GB and PS3 slim. I guess the issue is more common to NTSC version?
Old 19-09-18, 14:10   #8
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

PS3 is very temperamental when it comes to playing PS1 games, some work, some don't. I find it quite funny PS3 apparently "Is not capable" of playing PS1 or PS2 games according to Sony when the PS2 could play PS1 games quite simple. If Sony are going to lie because they know they are doing it on purpose so people buy the games again on Playstation Store just to get a bit more profit, they could at least be more inventive with their lies.

If you are going to replay or re-purchase Tomb Raider classics, i'd advise to get it on PC nowadays, not just for sharper quality more so to its original form but the price is far more reasonable as you can get the collection of games for around the price of one game on the Playstation Store and mods are most likely available if you ever want to play the PC version of TR1 and TR3 with the PS1 save system for more of a challenge.
Old 19-09-18, 20:43   #9
Blue_light
Archaeologist

TR2 is the only goddamn PS3 game not playable on any of my PS3. The very same thing happens. Lucky for me I still have the old PS1 functioning. Unlucky for me, the triangle doesn't work. XD

You can always try evil things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
I'm tempted to try this, but I'm too paranoid...

Last edited by Blue_light; 19-09-18 at 20:46.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 22:07   #10
Gaelen
Historian

I had the exact same issue, I ended up buying the digital version from the PS Store. I've never tried the workaround with TR1 etc, but have heard of that in the past so would maybe be worth a shot before spending any money as the PS Store variant is an exact port, it's doesn't offer a better resolution or anything.