www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 03-12-19, 10:15   #101
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
*post*, .
As I said before it would have been helpful for the OP to provide a link to said article so that we can read why he may have scored the way he did. As it is, the OP is assuming we've seen it and can remember it or at least base our opinions on the score alone. It's a discussion board, the OP asks a question in the title and proceeds to give their own opinion, the rest of us have basically followed by example. I think it's perfectly fair to expect people to weigh in with their own opinions. The only set back is, as I said, we don't have the article writer's own words to back up his score.

Btw, it's not up to you to try to dictate how we choose to reply.

Last edited by Rai; 03-12-19 at 10:16.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 10:30   #102
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
He's not reporting news to be objective. A review is the person's opinion, of course he would be subjective. What kind of review doesn't have pesonal thoughts about something?
But those thoughts werenít the exact same as my thoughts.
He liked a thing, but didnít love a thing.
Therefore the validity must be called into question.
Old 03-12-19, 11:25   #103
Ellioft
Professor

There's also some questions to ask about how and with wich criterias they rank a game. Wich is why for me having a final note isn't constructive enough.
Old 03-12-19, 12:16   #104
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
There's also some questions to ask about how and with wich criterias they rank a game. Wich is why for me having a final note isn't constructive enough.
That’s very good point. I’ve always thought attaching a number at the end is meaningless but sadly it’s all people focus on.
They skip over everything and just jump straight to the number.
Old 03-12-19, 12:48   #105
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Thatís very good point. Iíve always thought attaching a number at the end is meaningless but sadly itís all people focus on.
They skip over everything and just jump straight to the number.
Rotten Tomatoes in a nutshell
Old 03-12-19, 18:27   #106
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
That is not how it works. A journalist should be objective not subjective .That includes a gaming journalist .
There is no such thing as objective journalism. There is however less-subjective-than-others journalism. Opinion slips into every piece, whether its the author's opinion based on what s/he thinks a game should be like or whether its the author's opinion on what s/he thinks gamers think a game should be like, etc. If game reviews were objective journalism then there should not be such a wide range of scores given out for any particular game. The scores should all be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
He is not some random Joe with an opinion.
Correct. He is a paid professional with a knowledge-based opinion. His word should not be considered gospel. It should be read as a professional, knowledge-based opinion.

Last edited by cephasjames; 03-12-19 at 18:46.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 18:49   #107
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Te is a paid professional with a knowledge-based opinion. His word should not be considered gospel. It should be read as a professional, knowledge-based opinion.
Just a word of caution. Sometimes the more knowledgeable a person becomes about something the more biased they can become. The very bitter arguments that go on in academic circles between two very knowledgeable people on the same topic happen much too frequently. The fact that a person is a paid professional in a certain field is a questionable basis for giving their argument too much credibility.
Old 05-12-19, 20:01   #108
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post
Just a word of caution. Sometimes the more knowledgeable a person becomes about something the more biased they can become. The very bitter arguments that go on in academic circles between two very knowledgeable people on the same topic happen much too frequently. The fact that a person is a paid professional in a certain field is a questionable basis for giving their argument too much credibility.
Absolutely! That's why aggregate sites like Metacritic are so helpful. They understand the subjective nature of game reviews.
Old 05-12-19, 20:31   #109
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Absolutely! That's why aggregate sites like Metacritic are so helpful. They understand the subjective nature of game reviews.
I find Metacritic to be a good source for seeing a variety of reviews. I have reservations on the numbers they post.

https://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

They use a weighted average so that some ratings receive greater weight but I have not seen any information on how these weights are assigned beyond the general statement that some publications/ratings receive more weight than others. Also averages are always sensitive to outliers and using the mode might be better.
Old 05-12-19, 21:45   #110
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post
I find Metacritic to be a good source for seeing a variety of reviews. I have reservations on the numbers they post.

https://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

They use a weighted average so that some ratings receive greater weight but I have not seen any information on how these weights are assigned beyond the general statement that some publications/ratings receive more weight than others. Also averages are always sensitive to outliers and using the mode might be better.
I know what you're talking about with the weighted average. I've seen that before. I use aggregate sites for a general idea of how people, both critics, and fans, rate games. Though the grain of salt is smaller than with a single review, I still take aggregate site scores with one.