www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 15-11-18, 18:49   #141
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I'm just not so sure. They rebooted Thief and it didn't really get a good reception. Some of their recent DeusEx games have fizzled as well. I'm not 100% sold on EM at all by looking at their recent track record over past several years. They put out good looking games, but very mediocre gameplay. TR deserves more.
I'll give them a pass since they were a lower level company. (This is why I also don't want some indie developer making TR.) They now have the technology, they just need more practice.
Old 15-11-18, 20:06   #142
jackraider
Archaeologist

I just don't know. Conflicted at the moment.
Old 15-11-18, 20:35   #143
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I'm just not so sure. They rebooted Thief and it didn't really get a good reception. Some of their recent DeusEx games have fizzled as well. I'm not 100% sold on EM at all by looking at their recent track record over past several years. They put out good looking games, but very mediocre gameplay. TR deserves more.
Good god the Thief reboot, that was a mess, It's as similar to Thief as 2013 TR is to Tomb Raider. (well not quite as bad, Thief at least is in the same genre.)

Can't speak for Mankind divided but Human Revolution was decent, if somewhat overall too reliant on call-backs to an absurd degree.

Last edited by Samz; 15-11-18 at 20:38.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-18, 22:50   #144
jackraider
Archaeologist

Human Revolution was EM's only critically acclaimed game. Everything else has been mediocre at best. Sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but I know classic Thief fans were appalled by the reboot. Real shame because Thief 1&2 are both superb games. I heard EM threw back some shade by saying they weren't going to do a Thief 5, basically killing off the franchise. Honestly, I thought their handling w/ Shadow was pretty messy. It's clear Square Enix, EM, CryD find the classic EIDOS games atrocious. Again, sorry for being harsh if you really are a fan of EM, but I just think they are overly-rated. To compromise a little, if EM was to stay in the picture, I think it would be nice if they could get some Core Design era TR vets on the team.
Old 16-11-18, 03:24   #145
jhons0529
Historian

In this case I'm going to be 100% honest from my opinion of what I've seen.

I think Crystal Dynamics shouldn't work on Tomb Raider ever again. They don't even like Lara and I mean that. They've had lots of opportunities that wouldn't have oppressed them from flattering classic Lara, things simple as simply not insulting her at the very least.
They've been insulting the traditional Tomb Raiders since the very moment they laid hands on Tomb Raider, on Tomb Raider Legend they were already bragging and mocking the classics, they themselves still to this day make mediocre Tomb Raiders, they have no reason to be in control if they cant even like the character.
I doubt especially during the LAU era they even had a reason to insult or be rude to the past entries. I'm also completely confident that Crystal has some members that actually love Lara but the problem is they're probably outnumbered or that lovers of Tomb Raider simply aren't in a powerful position to follow it, but their position has probably been pathetically weak for something like this since Legend judging by the company attitude since then.
I'd say Crystal is a no go. If I'm also being honest I just don't even think they're good developers at all. I tried to be fond of them but after TRA I think it was painfully apparent they just aren't very good developers as a whole.

Eidos I'd say is a barely maybe. I think Eidos wants to restore Tomb Raider very badly and at the very least want the series to have a good reputation and not be received badly traditional fans, my point being that they seem to have more care. But I have doubts that Eidos is truly capable of handling the series from a development standpoint. That and they'd probably play it far too safe and just go with LAU styled game and Lara and it would probably just go the same as LAU did.
Out of related parties Eidos does probably have the best intentions.

Square Enix is actually my vote on the developers. (Or at least the closest.)
I don't think SE in particular loves Lara but I think among related parties they're the ones who have potential to completely restore Tomb Raider despite probably being the ones who probably(?) killed off the series aesthetics and its identity. The problem with SE is they've been a terrible mess for ages now. I don't think in this current period they have the energy to invest in restoring the series image and updating it. But I think if things had played out a bit differently SE probably could done Tomb Raider themselves hands on. They'd probably become more attached to the series after more direct involvement success and entries that capture the essence of Tomb Raider, sadly I don't think this route would ever play out successfully despite the potential it has, I definitely think if SE was to ever go about then that means this series needs a hiatus for a few years before they take it on.

The true best outcome to me is that the rights get sold to someone else. It may be the safest outcome to pray for, most parties involved at the moment I think personally suffer from too many faults and the wrong kind to get the job done in a passionate and high quality way. Even the current era reboot is wavering.

Hopefully whatever comes next some of the Core classic developers come back to dictate and judge some aspects of the game especially aesthetics.

Also this is all with the mind set that the future developers and people managing the game are to make a good traditional type of entry that classic fans would like while also enhancing and making the formula better with quality of life enhancements that don't go as far as letting the game play for you like the reboots have done. This is a series that has only ever needed improvements and for every improvement that has been made there has been two more reasons to complain about something bad they've done. AOD was the last game that tried and failed because of sorely unfinished it was.

Last edited by jhons0529; 16-11-18 at 03:39.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-18, 05:29   #146
charmedangelin

For the next reboot game I actually want Crystal Dynamics. They know what their doing with the reboot. I like some of the gameplay elements from Shadow like fleshed out underwater swimming, but Rise perfected everything else compared to Shadow in terms of the reboot games.

For Classic I want another developer who could work exclusively with classic.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 09:04   #147
Princess_Paige
Professor

Crystal Dynamics no question. Which will most likely be the case, Crystal will be finished the Avengers game probably at some point next year and will want TR back, also I highly doubt Squeenix is going to let Eidos make another TR game after how poor to mediocre the SOTTR reception has been when Crystal Dynamics has never really gotten bad reviews. They are of course the better studio. Tbh i wouldn’t be surprised if Eidos isn’t around for much longer, they’ve only ever really created one good game, all the rest have been panned so I can definitely see Squeenix shutting them down in the future if they don’t produce a hit.
I’ve liked every one of Crystal’s TR games and I do think they produce good games. I would very much like to see the return of classic/LAU Lara which I honestly do think is going to happen in the next game now that interest in the reboot has fizzled, It won’t be rebooted again but will likely be set a few years ahead with a more experienced and classic style Lara as they’ll be wanting to draw interest back into the franchise. I very much do not like Shadow which is disappointing for me as a TR fan. I’m looking forward to Crystal Dynamics return. Sorry not sorry
Old 24-11-18, 12:07   #148
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Crystal Dynamics no question. Which will most likely be the case, Crystal will be finished the Avengers game probably at some point next year and will want TR back, also I highly doubt Squeenix is going to let Eidos make another TR game after how poor to mediocre the SOTTR reception has been when Crystal Dynamics has never really gotten bad reviews. They are of course the better studio. Tbh i wouldn’t be surprised if Eidos isn’t around for much longer, they’ve only ever really created one good game, all the rest have been panned so I can definitely see Squeenix shutting them down in the future if they don’t produce a hit.
You act like Shadow is Fallout 76 ?
Shadow is still a "general favourable review" game ! Look at Metacritic.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 88
Tomb Raider 2013 - 87
Tomb Raider Anniversary - 83
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 82
Tomb Raider Legend - 82
Tomb Raider Underworld - 80

I chose the best platform from each.

EDIT : Oh ok, it lost one point very recently, I can accord you that.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 12:42   #149
jackraider
Archaeologist

I wouldn't mind LAU lara returning, but I'd want her done up all classic-like as in Anniversary or the fanmade TR2 demo. Maybe make her edgier like Underworld's Lara doppelganger. Oh, and NOT one mention of mommy or daddy! I actually really like CryD's unused AOD Lara design too. Heck if they can incorporate all those elements I mentioned into reboot Lara that could work too. We just need a new voice actress or a coreD era actress. I'd be okay even with the LAU actress.

Also, if they stick with reboot Lara I'd want to see an older version of her. Like a Lara in her 30's or early 40's.

Last edited by jackraider; 24-11-18 at 12:56.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 16:11   #150
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
You act like Shadow is Fallout 76 ?
Shadow is still a "general favourable review" game ! Look at Metacritic.
I think she was only comparing Shadow's reception to the previous game . From the 88 score of Rise to a 76 one for Shadow is quite a drop , and I don't really think SE are pleased right now .

Last edited by Patrick star; 24-11-18 at 16:13.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote