Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 24-10-18, 19:01   #1
jackraider
Inactive

Default All secret run / no health packs (PSX Version)

So I'm replaying through the PSX version of TR3 (by far the most immersive and challenging version). However, this time I'm doing an all-secret run, but with no health packs and only crystal saves (no emulator save slots). I've gone through India, Nevada, and most of South Pacific without issue. It wasn't until I reached Madubu Gorge when I had to use multiple health pack! Also, Temple of Puna can be a bit of a pain as well with the poison darts.

Anyway, my TRIII challenge is ruined. I've beaten TRI, TRII, and TLR without using medpacks. I guess my new challenging as I continue to play TR3 is, use as little health packs as possible. The only london level I think I'm going to have issues with is Lud's Gate.

Has anyone ever beaten TR3 (PSX) without medpacks, plus all secrets and only save crystals? No cheats?
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-18, 21:20   #2
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
Has anyone ever beaten TR3 (PSX) without medpacks, plus all secrets and only save crystals? No cheats?
Yes

Believe it or not, Madubu Gorge can be done without sustaining any damage at all, but it is in no way consistent.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-18, 21:28   #3
jackraider
Inactive

^ I think what got me in Madubu Gorge were the following; a crocodile chomp as I got off the kayak in small pool that leads to monkey bars/fire traps, jumping over some spikes to large climbable wall, and especially the drop-off whirlpool towards the end.

It looks like I can go back and restart Madubu Gorge even though I've already tackled Temple of Puna and just started thames wharf. Loaded up the Madubu Gorge and I start off w/ 11 crystals again. I think I'm down to like 5 or 6 after completing that level first go-around. If I restart level, will game not count the previous medpacks I used during previous playthrough of that level (and later ones)?

Last edited by jackraider; 24-10-18 at 22:41.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-18, 23:10   #4
laravision

Quote:
If I restart level, will game not count the previous medpacks I used during previous playthrough of that level (and later ones)?
I think I understand what you're asking, and there is a reason to be concerned, as the final statistics do tend to be inaccurate in some cases, especially on PS1, and re-visiting levels could be one of the culprits. I'm not sure though, if any inaccuracy could occur in this case (usually, it's secret & kill count that can get messed up) but do bear it in mind.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 02:58   #5
Helegad

You people are crazy. I can hardly beat III on PSX as it is.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 12:29   #6
RequiredField

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...63630D6F05A43A
This will aid you on your journey!

But I can't promise this playthrough doesn't contain anything that you define as a cheat. :P

(And a hint from me, but shhhh... don't tell anyone: take your time to perform risky maneuvers and don't rush so at least some crystals are preserved. This isn't a speedrun after all.)
RequiredField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 03:41   #7
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
I have not, but I was about to replay tr3 psx, and I'll try this time. hopefully I can do it.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 05:50   #8
Yeauxleaux

I wanna say it's next to impossible on some levels, especially Madubu Gorge. Not outright, as we can see some people have done it, but I think it's more a fluke and down far more to luck than skill.

For me, the game doesn't let me jump out of the kayak on the side where a ledge is that Lara could jump onto. It forces me into the water... which means straight into the crocodile's jaws, who has obviously been following the kayak closely so he's right there waiting.

Aside from that, some of the traps in the rapids are very difficult to manouvre past, and you have that drop through the whirlpool at the end, which takes half of your life away if it goes well (immediately followed by another forced dip in another pool with some crocs).

I suppose if you save up lots of save crystals on easier levels that you're very confident on, you could just spam saves here whenever a dicey moment is coming up, then reload if it goes tits-up. This is one of those levels I tend to do this on, given how easy it is to miss jumps or fall foul of some death trap, this one and Lost City of Tinnos.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-10-18 at 05:52.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 07:56   #9
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I suppose if you save up lots of save crystals on easier levels that you're very confident on, you could just spam saves here whenever a dicey moment is coming up, then reload if it goes tits-up. This is one of those levels I tend to do this on, given how easy it is to miss jumps or fall foul of some death trap, this one and Lost City of Tinnos.
good suggestion.

so far there are what two people who did a no meds run? 3rd person amongest us.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 09:11   #10
dcw123

I always wanted to try but get scared hahaha

Even when getting secrets I never seem to have enough save crystals.
Pistols only sounds like a nightmare and I just don't have the patience for it.

Currently playing just for fun and already half way through so really don't feel like restarting the game again..
Should I try a no medipack run? Lol
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote