Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 12-01-21, 16:46   #11
alisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
If you're talking about garbage frames which occur on cuts, I already mentioned this to LeonDeka on Discord. It happens because he did an interpolation on the whole FMV, without splitting it to separate clips on cuts, therefore interpolation software tries to interpolate between cuts which is wrong.

Also neither Twixtor nor Resolve nor Premiere "optical flow" can properly interpolate low-contrast or blurred objects (yet), so you will still see some objects or masses moving at 15FPS, there's not much you can do about it.
What you can do is cut/remove each frame between scenes and remove "blank spaces" between them using Premiere (Close Gap) or another editor. Of course, when removing frames between each scene, you need to remove the same frame from the audio track so as not to lose sync. All of this can be easily done in Premiere.
alisson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 20:48   #12
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisson View Post
What you can do is cut/remove each frame between scenes and remove "blank spaces" between them using Premiere (Close Gap) or another editor. Of course, when removing frames between each scene, you need to remove the same frame from the audio track so as not to lose sync. All of this can be easily done in Premiere.
That doesn’t seem like a very good idea making tiny cuts into the audio, as you will be able to hear where the audio has been cut unless you repair the audio further. Wouldn’t it be better to just repeat a frame ?
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 00:22   #13
alisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
That doesn’t seem like a very good idea making tiny cuts into the audio, as you will be able to hear where the audio has been cut unless you repair the audio further. Wouldn’t it be better to just repeat a frame ?
You will need close gap in audio track too.
Near to the impossible you notice an audio cut frame. But it is very possible that you see the duplicated frame.
Imho

Last edited by alisson; 13-01-21 at 00:24.
alisson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 08:59   #14
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisson View Post
You will need close gap in audio track too.
Near to the impossible you notice an audio cut frame. But it is very possible that you see the duplicated frame.
Imho
Yeah I know but even if you close the gap in the audio I find that you can almost always hear a sort of click or pop where audio has been cut unless you then edit those sections of audio to remove that. Whereas, one frame repeat I probably wouldn’t notice, especially at 30 FPS. Maybe if there were multiple then yes.
Old 13-01-21, 12:55   #15
ThirteenCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
One day I would like to see somebody use motion blur at 15 FPS, rather than motion interpolation to 30 FPS. As you can see, trying to interpolate frames doesn’t work well with many videos, just look underneath the ‘Los Alamos - New Mexico’ text at the beginning of the first cutscene.

What if they cut the text from a stillshot in Photoshop and turn it to a vector PNG image? So it wouldn't lose quality and you can put it over the original blurry text. I can help with that if needed.

Or use a similar font, size it a bit bigger than the original one and put some drop shadow underneath to hide the blurry text underneath. Though this solution may look odd.
ThirteenCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 17:59   #16
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenCroft View Post
What if they cut the text from a stillshot in Photoshop and turn it to a vector PNG image? So it wouldn't lose quality and you can put it over the original blurry text. I can help with that if needed.

Or use a similar font, size it a bit bigger than the original one and put some drop shadow underneath to hide the blurry text underneath. Though this solution may look odd.
No I'm not talking about the text, I am talking about what's below the text.

The highlighted area below the text still plays at 15 FPS whilst the rest of the picture plays at 30FPS. I'm assuming it's because there's insufficient information in this small area for the software to interpolate it to 30 FPS. This is why I'm against motion interpolation, because it never works; there are many HD versions of the FMVs out there but none of them have kept 15 FPS or tried motion blurring.
Old 15-01-21, 19:33   #17
LeonDeka

Thanks for all your Comments on Discord and this Forum.

I'm currently working on re-compressing the master files into smaller MP4 files, and repairing a few files.

I know some people don't like the Motion interpolation, but I have had ALOT of people emailing me and messaging me asking for this. And boy did I read your emails and get your messages.

Quote:
What I find to be missing, though, are the remade location captions that were present in your previous upscalings...
Doh!! I knew I forgot something!
LeonDeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 12:03   #18
LeonDeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonDeka View Post
Thanks for all your Comments on Discord and this Forum.

I'm currently working on re-compressing the master files into smaller MP4 files, and repairing a few files.

I know some people don't like the Motion interpolation, but I have had ALOT of people emailing me and messaging me asking for this. And boy did I read your emails and get your messages.

Doh!! I knew I forgot something!
I'm gonna re-do them. I've notice cropping issues and i'll address those complaints with interpolation and file size. Stay tuned!
Old 17-01-21, 23:16   #19
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonDeka View Post
I'm gonna re-do them. I've notice cropping issues and i'll address those complaints with interpolation and file size. Stay tuned!
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-21, 13:30   #20
LeonDeka

Exclamation

I’m not perfect.

I make mistakes, have issues, forget things. But your feedback over the last few weeks has been greatly appreciated.

I have went back and reviewed all the files and made the necessary updates to make them less amateurish and more professional as this community expects.

The new files are uploaded to drive and are now available to download. And you can stream them on YouTube too!

Many thanks to all of you who pointed all of these issues out. Your criticism, both positive and negative has helped me grow!