Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 30-04-21, 07:05   #11
Mani_Man

I will probably always stay in the middle when it comes to Barbara, since i love her in both roles.

And i understand the impact she had on Disabled because there arent many disabled characters in comics, if then they are background characters.
So seeing Barbara having such a big role and all, being featured prominently and her disability not being treated as a handicap(most of the time, some writers sadly painted it as such)...is cool.

But i also love her as Batgirl.

So i can see both, especially since in both roles Barbara is such a great inspiration for many.

I do find its less of a problem now because they had Barbara decide to be Oracle not because she must, but because she wants.
I like the idea of her being kind of like a boxer who still could go, but knows its best for her body to retire(sure the fact that her spinal implant has been damaged quite a bit in the Joker war arc, but still...she could go if she wanted).
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 15:16   #12
Mani_Man

Comics Week

This Week wasnt as beefy as others, which my wallet appreciates.

Batman 108
Wow, i was unsure about the Miracle Molly character, but i can say i really enjoy her so far.
Tynion so far managed to make me like all his OCs, that is not coming easy...im looking at you Scott Snyder. XD
Also i just love what they do with Scarecrow so far.
Him standing on top of the Roof in plain sight at day, just watching Simon Saint and all...really cool.
But the art in General, i think i gushed already over Jorge Jiménez art...so that is not new.
I could tell you that Jorge is also a Handsome bastard himself, that some might not know already. XD
Anway, i liked that Tynion had the whole "Criminals are cowardly..." line in, nice memento to old times.
Also i like that we have the tables turned somewhat with Batman being the one who doesnt have the most advanced technic anymore.
It is a great arc so far.

Crime Syndicate was nice but not enough to keep me going probably.
I dont know, its nothing that really keeps you interested for long and im not that into the characters.

Suicide Squad is okay, but the fact that they crossover with Teen Titans Academy after just 3 issues, bothers me a bit.
But im liking the current Team.
Is it just me or have they designed Peacemaker to Resemble John Cena extra close?
Or does cena happen to look a lot like him? I dont remember the last time i saw Peacemaker before SS was annouced so i cant remember at the moment how he looked.
But the comic had a few really cool looking Panels with Peacemaker, so despite the costume looking rather silly, you can make him look very cool.

Swamp Thing
Liking the first 3 issues so far, especially visually.
Always have a soft spot for Swamp Thing on that because i feel like the comics always have this nice visuals that fit together so well and flow nicely.
The story has me interested too so i keep reading it.

4 comics, 2 i would consider good and the other 2 "just" okay...so its not a good or bad week.
Next week will be rather busy again, to which i probably add Future State Gotham because the cover with Red Hood looks cool.
Old 04-05-21, 17:37   #13
Cochrane
Golden

I gave Harley Quinn (2021- Issue #1, yes I know it's old) a try, but it didn't really convince me. I don't mind the art style, but there's just nothing about the story that's grabbing me. Apparently the author really liked the Birds of Prey movie. Good, so did I. But what's the point of a comic that's just repeating something that was good, whether that was a movie or another comic? Might as well just rewatch or reread the original (See all the knock-offs of Fraction's Hawkeye that Marvel keeps making)

This comic understands the broad strokes of what made Birds of Prey great, but not the details. It doesn't really have anything interesting to say about Harley. And making the whole thing about her pleasing an unyielding towering Batman is distinctly not empowered (nor is it interesting).

I could imagine a version where the comic actually tackles that issue, and lets Harley question whether it's really a good idea to going from "helper to one powerful man who doesn't respect her" to "helper of another powerful man who doesn't respect her" like that. But I don't get the impression that this comic is interested in that.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 10:10   #14
Mani_Man

Havent noticed any Resemblance to the BOP movie to be honest, but now that you said it, i will look for that.

What they currently seem to do with Harley is incorporating her more into Batmans circle.
It is a thing since a few years, but since the Joker War it seems like they decided to fully add her in the Batfamily slowly no stop.

In Batman #100 he opened up to Harley which is a huge step considering who Harley was.
Later on she has an Arc where Clownhunter is out to kill her.
She owns her past mistakes up and makes clear that she absolutly wants to change etc.

In the Batman comic it is more that she wants to prove to Batman that he can trust her, hell that Gotham can trust her.
Old 05-05-21, 10:33   #15
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Havent noticed any Resemblance to the BOP movie to be honest, but now that you said it, i will look for that.
I think it's the general concept: She's broken up with the Joker; she's vaguely on the side of good; her outfit; the general style; having her as an unreliable narrator, all of that screams BOP to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
What they currently seem to do with Harley is incorporating her more into Batmans circle.
It is a thing since a few years, but since the Joker War it seems like they decided to fully add her in the Batfamily slowly no stop.

In Batman #100 he opened up to Harley which is a huge step considering who Harley was.
Later on she has an Arc where Clownhunter is out to kill her.
She owns her past mistakes up and makes clear that she absolutly wants to change etc.

In the Batman comic it is more that she wants to prove to Batman that he can trust her, hell that Gotham can trust her.
Is it important to know what the joker war is?
Old 05-05-21, 11:15   #16
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I think it's the general concept: She's broken up with the Joker; she's vaguely on the side of good; her outfit; the general style; having her as an unreliable narrator, all of that screams BOP to me.
Ah, that is a thing BOP took from the comics.

How exactly and when i dont know, but it was around 2014-15 where Joker and Harley finally break up.
Since then DC put her in this Anti-Hero role, made her DCs Deadpool with the 4th wall breaking and stuff pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Is it important to know what the joker war is?
Hard to say if it plays a role in the Harley Quinn comics later on too much, i would assume so since all Batman comics rely on knowing why things are how they are.

To make it simple, the Joker got his hands on Batmans Billions of Dollars and some of his Equipment.
He hires dozens of Goons and gives them Weapons etc to show Batman that he will never be able to tame the City and its violent core.
He fails of course, but the Aftermath is that the City has enough of Masked Vigilantes and all that, they elect a Mayor who turns the Clock back to the days where Batman was considered a Criminal.

So every Costumed character is considered a Criminal to the Mayor...also, the joker revealed to Gotham that Bruce Wayne financed Batman...so he cant use that much money anymore to finance new high tech gadgets etc.
Old 05-05-21, 11:47   #17
biscuits

I think I'll read Geoff Johns' JSA run from 1999. It's very critically acclaimed and I want to see what all the fuss is about.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 11:05   #18
Mani_Man

Exciting week of DC Comics, especially because of Festival of Heroes imo.

Batman Detective really picks up now, like the setting and writing and especially the art.
Cool seeing Ducard again and the plot is really enjoyable so far.
Had to laugh at a specific Panel with Bruce and Ducard talking, because of the way Bruce was standing.
He was standing there as if he was puffing his chest out extremely...that looked funny as hell. XD

Batman Urban Legends is expensive for the fact that im only interested in the Red hood story, which is really really good.
The rest are okay but i only really like one Story and for that, the thing is super expensive.
Wasnt Leslie dead not too long ago? Or do i get this mixed up with someone else?
I was sure Leslie was dead in Rebirth.

Then the Highlight, Festival of Heroes...and boy do i love it.
All those characters and storys, well written and drawn, you can feel the love everyone poured into it.
Shows you that WB wouldnt need to race swap characters(not that im against it in general, Matt Reeves batman shows that its a good idea), they could easily use the many diverse characters they have...they are awesome.
Minor complain is that i would look for a new name for Kenan, "new Superman" is a strange name to me.
And Boy is the Monkey Prince fun...love it.
I cant say enough good about this, so much fun and heart...ah, i want more.

Future State Gotham was irritating at first with the Black and White...didnt expect that.
But so far seems like a cool story, i will keep at it.
Loving the Red Hood stuff we get recently, that can continue if you ask me.

Justice League Last Ride starts out strong, except for the way Bruce is written.
Im not a fan anymore of this kind of Batman that is stubborn as hell and all that...at least when it comes to Justice League titles.
Its a Batman from long ago that i dont find particular endearing anymore.
Funny enough, at times the story felt like a older Justice League story both in visuals and the way it was written.
Which was cool and gave me a feeling of nostalgia.
Looking forward to where this goes.

Superman...its a neat arc but im not feeling it.
I wait this arc but then i will probably stop with Superman for a while, especially since Teenage Jon will take over soon.
And yes, i still dont like Teen Jon...sorry.

The Joker...damn that Killing Joke "flashback", visual so incredible.
Gullem March drew Joker in one Panel 3 times that showed every time another part of him.
The sinister, the Deranged and the Diabolical.
I dont know if that was the idea, but noticed that looking at that one panel.
The story itself is so crazy but entertaining as hell...i really didnt expect that at all.

Wonder Woman keeps being a interesting story and visually neat...no problem there.

A busy but entertaining Week.
Cant wait for next Week, Nightwing and Finally Wonder Girl.
Old 19-05-21, 09:51   #19
Mani_Man

So, a new week and a new comic week in that

And we start with Justice league or Bendis league.
He cant help himself, he must write how he would speak.
It was annoying during his Superman run and it still is here.
He is unable to give characters a distinctive voice, instead they sound like Bendis imagines himself saying the lines.
Really sad since the potential is there, but it gets hurt so damn much by the way he has people talk.
Also...can we maybe not have Superman be constantly getting his ass kicked?
Anyway, the art is good and the idea of the arc is pretty neat.

But we looked forward to this Week for one thing and one thing only...Nightwing.
And boy is that fantastic again.
The writing, the fantastic art style that gives you such a good pacing and movement, is places so well.
The Characters and how they are written, their interaction...oh man how i missed the interaction of the batfamily.
The series so far is absolutly great...one of the best in Infinite Frontier so far.

But lets not forget Wonder Girl too.
I see a bright future for Yara, really liking this.
Also neat seeing Nubia back again.
Loving the Art, the writing...the whole vibe of it has me really interested.

A bit sad that Justice League took such a hit in quality, but other than that, im happy with this week.
Next Week will be again a busy one...and an expensive one.
Old 19-05-21, 09:58   #20
Cochrane
Golden

Oh, you DC guys have Bendis now? I feel for you. A lot of his Marvel stuff was fun but utterly forgettable, and yeah, his grasp on character voices is not ideal. His X-Men comics were perfectly acceptable, but every character in them was better in every solo series (e.g. young Scott, and especially Laura Kinney). Even Alias/Jessica Jones, easily the best work of his I've ever read, left a lot of room for improvement, as the excellent and much deeper Netflix series showed.