Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 10-01-21, 23:59   #1
Fiamma Patrick

Default Run The Golden Mask from the original exe file

So, awhile ago I remember there being a way to run Tomb Raider 2: The Golden Mask from the original exe file without mapping over the data folder, but creating a new one just for the Golden Mask entirely. I might just be bad at explaining this, but I looked up online but couldn't find anything on it.
Fiamma Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 09:49   #2
TombHackR
Golden

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. I have Tomb Raider 2 & Golden Mask set up with two separate EXE files.

My main TR2 installation looks like this:

And inside the folder titled 'expansion' is Golden Mask:
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 14:34   #3
laravision

Also (although it may not be what you're looking for), you can setup The Golden Mask in conjunction with Arsunt's TR2Main patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Download the latest developer's build from this link.

First of all, there is the ExtraOptions folder. It contains REG files that change some TR2Main settings in the registry. All files are safe, you can check them using notepad. Just double click any REG file to set the desired option. In the future releases, this will be redesigned into a setup dialog which will incorporate all these settings.
Here are all the ExtraOptions descriptions.

If you use Steam or GOG, first cut all DLL files from the game folder and put them somewhere far away from the game. They may conflict with TR2Main somehow.

Copy some files from the TR2Main package into your game folder:
  • TR2Main.dll is the main file that makes all the magic.
  • tomb2.exe is almost original exe from 1997 with few changes to give all the power to TR2Main.dll. Never patch this EXE with 3rd party patches, you don't need them, everything that you may want, is already out of the box, including FOV, widescreen, even 4K support. You can make a backup of your existing TR2 EXE if you wish before overwriting.
  • ffplay.dll is brand new FMV player based on ffmpeg project. It supports RPL, MP4, BIK and many other video formats.
  • TR2Main.json is text configuration file that already allows to set custom watercolors, loading screen pictures, barefoot levels. All things are set to PS1 values, but anyone can edit it (by Notepad++ for example). This file will get even more cool features in the future.

Copy files from patch data folder to your TR2 game data folder:
  • barefoot.sfx is barefoot steps SFX pack. There are just 4 sound effects inside the pack, I took them from the PS1 version and remastered them (high frequency range is restored). You must enable barefoot SFX by REG file if you want them to be audible in levels where Lara is barefoot.

Copy whole pix folder to your TR2 game folder. Its contents:
  • Full set of PCX pictures for the original game and The Golden Mask including US/UK logo. You can select the logo version by proper REG file. No need to rename or delete picture files.
  • Remastered loading screen pictures in PNG format. You must enable remastered pictures and/or loading screens by REG files if you want these features.

If you want to copy your old saves into TR2Main, create a saves subfolder in your TR2 game folder. Copy savegame.* files that you need to this folder. Making a save in-game will create this folder automatically.

For TR2 Gold: You can download the TR2 Gold expansion files from this link, then follow these instructions:

Copy some files from the Golden Mask data folder to your TR2 game data folder:
  • LEVEL1.TR2 - LEVEL5.TR2, but don't copy TITLE.TR2. The original game file will be used instead.
  • The TOMBPC.DAT file from the data folder of the downloaded gold files must be renamed to TOMBPCg.DAT before copying. The original game will still use its TOMBPC.DAT.
  • The MAIN.SFX from the data folder of the downloaded gold files must be renamed to MAINg.SFX before copying. The original game will still use its MAIN.SFX.
  • You don't need to copy any PCX files, because PCX in data don't matter for TR2Main if pix folder is present.

savesGold subfolder required for placement of existing savegames. The game will create one if you make a save in-game.
  • To launch the normal game just run tomb2.exe
  • To launch setup dialog, run tomb2.exe with -setup option. You may want to create a shortcut for that.
  • To launch The Golden Mask, run tomb2.exe with -gold option. You may want to create a shortcut for that also.

To clarify the shortcut arrangement: first, create a shortcut of the Tomb2.exe file, then open the properties of this shortcut. At the end of the target/address field, add a space, then type -setup or -gold
Then you can name the shortcuts accordingly.

Setup advice: Disable Triple Buffer and keep Z-Buffer enabled if you want good performance.
You can use F7 for Z-Buffer and Shift+F7 for Triple Buffer to see the difference right in the game.
Upd: I removed Triple Buffer option from TR2Main completely.
Here are all TR2 keyboard hotkeys.

For anyone who didn't follow my project, here is the changelog (you can see there many cool changes).

Last edited by laravision; 22-01-22 at 17:41.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 17:02   #4
TombHackR
Golden

Okay I've read the opening post again, it seems that you do not want the Golden Mask levels in the same data folder as the main game, and have two separate installations which is how I have it. The tutorial to have it this way is here.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 19:08   #5
Fiamma Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Also (although it may not be what you're looking for), you can setup The Golden Mask in conjunction with Arsunt's TR2Main patch.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Fiamma Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote