I'm sure you can find copies on eBay.
OF TRAE By CORE ?
TRL2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 00:54   #2532
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRL2009 View Post
OF TRAE By CORE ?
Of course not. Of Free Running. The game Core developed before the TRAE. The two use the same engine.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 15:01   #2533
ggctuk

And that's what you get for not reading through an entire post before replying.

I think TRAE is dead. Been dead for years. Wishing won't bring it back.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 14:42   #2534
Palace Midas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
It shouldn't be. Look at a typical room in Anniversary (leaving out the corridors because - actually - that IS a typical room in Anniversary):

It's grey, it's big, it's empty (There are a few exceptions, of course). It's boring. Most of the game is made up of platforming.
Like....Tomb Raider 1 Legend is far more focused on combat and that's what i don't like about it. The locations and music tracks are great but the overall game is too short and simplistic. And many people will agree with that.

Last edited by Palace Midas; 03-04-10 at 14:45.
Palace Midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 15:06   #2535
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Midas View Post
Like....Tomb Raider 1 Legend is far more focused on combat and that's what i don't like about it. The locations and music tracks are great but the overall game is too short and simplistic. And many people will agree with that.
The difference is that TR1's gameplay is fun. The platforming is actually challenging and you really had to think sometimes.
Old 03-04-10, 18:34   #2536
larafan25

Quote:
Oh man...talk about not doing research before hitting sumbit reply . Sorry. I don't know how many releases the PS2 version got. I only read quite a few times that later releases of the PS2 versions didn't have as many bugs and were more or less playable. Whether that was only the case in Australia...no idea.

It shouldn't be. Look at a typical room in Anniversary (leaving out the corridors because - actually - that IS a typical room in Anniversary):

It's grey, it's big, it's empty (There are a few exceptions, of course). It's boring. Most of the game is made up of platforming. The problem (As I've already mentioned) is that the platforming in CD's TR games is so easy and boring that a game with you just running forward for six hours in a row would be more exciting (I'm exaggerating ). Then we have the game's non-existent atmosphere. The music is great...yep .

Legend:
Legend isn't a proper TR game (neither is Anniversary) but it is at least fun! Its gameplay is more exciting than "...shimmy, shimmy, shimmy,...." and it's more or less atmospheric (even if it's not the kind of atmosphere I want in a TR game).

I'm not gonna repeat what I think of AoD because I've already said enough about that .

But maybe we should really think about getting back to Core's Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition.
I am sort of disagreeing with the bolded here...

Ledges are smaller, you do not need a hunk of matter holding them up from below, they can stick in or out of walls and other pieces of architecture. Had they not have had ledges, we would again have giant pillars everywhere, there is approximately the same amount of diversity in the traversal of anniversary and TR1. Ledges allow for alot more space, and this is probably what makes the rooms feel empty or boring. In reality anniversaries climbing would be more complex, but in the game world each traversal methode consists of the same boring button holding, whether it is too hold onto a ledge or to push yourself across a ledge.

Had Core released their anniversary edition I do not think things would have changed, the climbing looked as if it was the simillar to TR1 but tried to mimick legend's ledge climb.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 19:01   #2537
Ashnod

Quote:
The difference is that TR1's gameplay is fun. The platforming is actually challenging and you really had to think sometimes.
When did you have to think about it? It's all climbing and jumping.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 19:46   #2538
larafan25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
I take it from most of the posts I see of yours you are REALLY good at these games

Generally you need to think before jumping to a platform which could possibly be out of reach, measuring your jumps to get the timing right. There is even thought in crystals games as to which ledge to grab and which ledges actually are grabbable, though that happens very often.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 19:47   #2539
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
You know, I might be wrong, but I've always had the impression that puzzles were a substantial part of a TR game and that TR1 had quite a few of those. Besides, you sometimes actually had to figure out where to go in TR1. You didn't have to think about that at all in TRA (at least I didn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I am sort of disagreeing with the bolded here...

Ledges are smaller, you do not need a hunk of matter holding them up from below, they can stick in or out of walls and other pieces of architecture. Had they not have had ledges, we would again have giant pillars everywhere, there is approximately the same amount of diversity in the traversal of anniversary and TR1. Ledges allow for alot more space, and this is probably what makes the rooms feel empty or boring. In reality anniversaries climbing would be more complex, but in the game world each traversal methode consists of the same boring button holding, whether it is too hold onto a ledge or to push yourself across a ledge.

Had Core released their anniversary edition I do not think things would have changed, the climbing looked as if it was the simillar to TR1 but tried to mimick legend's ledge climb.
Wrong. Ledges only provide 5 possibilities:

Jump up, jump backwards, jump to the right, jump to the left, release grip.

A platform lets you jump everywhere in a range of 360°. Not to mention that Core's platforming was always more challenging because of the player having to be accurate. In Crystal's games that's been automated. You can jump 2m too far to the right and Lara's still gonna grab the ledge. That takes the whole challenge out of it (and with this system, jumping form platform to platform is just as boring).

Last edited by Zebra; 03-04-10 at 19:53.
Old 03-04-10, 23:33   #2540
Ashnod

Quote:
You know, I might be wrong, but I've always had the impression that puzzles were a substantial part of a TR game and that TR1 had quite a few of those. Besides, you sometimes actually had to figure out where to go in TR1. You didn't have to think about that at all in TRA (at least I didn't).
I'm just saying...TR1's platforming was not difficult. I'm not saying this to compare it to TRA or vice versa, but it wasn't.

Quote:
A platform lets you jump everywhere in a range of 360°. Not to mention that Core's platforming was always more challenging because of the player having to be accurate. In Crystal's games that's been automated. You can jump 2m too far to the right and Lara's still gonna grab the ledge. That takes the whole challenge out of it (and with this system, jumping form platform to platform is just as boring).
2 meters is quite significant. I know you're probably exaggerating deliberately, but it is very possible to miss in TRA and the margin of error is not as wide as you're hinting at.

Conversely, I don't think you have to be as accurate as you hinting at in TR1. Or rather, let me frame it another way. It's very easy to achieve the accuracy you are hinting it, which makes it not very difficult to accomplish.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote