Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 26-08-19, 02:40   #21
aquaflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
But out of all it's flaws the only one that really bothers me is the lackluster story and all the retconning it does from Legend. Because in that way it damages Legend as well.
I recently finished TRU again and I agree with this very much. The way this game ends just feel depressing and boring. It's so bad you want to actively avoid it and not reach it. I need to take a very long break after Mexico level to finish the rest of the game.

I realize that this is similarly the reason I had trouble with TR4 these days. Playing through everything just to have Lara entombed is very depressing and unfulfilling. In this case, the writing is not bad, but the ending really does not encourage you to finish the game.
aquaflute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 15:25   #22
Tomb Raidering

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
No Croft Manor to explore and have fun in like in TRL and TRA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamise_Croft View Post
Why Lara has those big hands and long leggs?? lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Had no weapon or ammo pick-ups at all.

Falling damage being an inconsistent mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I extremely hate it.

Thailand is one of my most hated Tomb Raider levels and the soundtrack is boring at times. The story is weak and kinda wrecked what Legend started. I won't even mention the animations.
I also hated that we got every weapon at the start of the game and never got to collect anything aside from the many many secrets and a few health pickups.
This just sums everything.
  1. Lame story
  2. Boring Lara
  3. Ugly animations
  4. Retcons
  5. Fanservice
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 09:54   #23
DJ Tomoe

I really think this was Crystal's AOD. The reasons why AOD failed (issues developing on next gen, short development time, ambitious ideas) are sadly replicated here.
I blame Eidos. I assume they learnt nothing and really wanted to retake the yearly release schedule as the classic era.
DJ Tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 13:33   #24
LateRaider
Inactive

i screamed when i saw this thread. y'all are something else

anyway my issues with TR:U are this:

- animations (i think they had the mocap actress move at half speed then sped the mocap footage up. if you slow lara's animations down it looks great)

- the transition from arthurian myth to norse myth is breakneck speed and comes out of nowhere (lara: what the hell is avalon? natla: it's helheim from norse mythology lol)

- unlockables are a joke. (really stinging from this one b/c i just had to do a hundo run for my "100% tomb raider save files collection.") it'd be better if they gave you the golden shotgun and silver uzis like TR:A did, plus a couple extra costumes

- xbox exclusive DLC (11 friggin years later)
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 18:43   #25
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i screamed when i saw this thread. y'all are something else

anyway my issues with TR:U are this:

- animations (i think they had the mocap actress move at half speed then sped the mocap footage up. if you slow lara's animations down it looks great)

- the transition from arthurian myth to norse myth is breakneck speed and comes out of nowhere (lara: what the hell is avalon? natla: it's helheim from norse mythology lol)

- unlockables are a joke. (really stinging from this one b/c i just had to do a hundo run for my "100% tomb raider save files collection.") it'd be better if they gave you the golden shotgun and silver uzis like TR:A did, plus a couple extra costumes

- xbox exclusive DLC (11 friggin years later)
Most of these are the result of fanservice:
Shoehorning Natla to their third game to please Classic fans,
People wanting Lara to go to ‘tombs’, which is just remote locations on the earth.
The ‘we don’t want outfits, ‘cause Classic games didn’t have it’ attitude.
We want pRoPeRr secrets, ala the Classics, which are ancient cups, or golden skulls, or golden roses.
‘We want an TR game urgently’
Old 27-08-19, 18:50   #26
dg1995

Underworld is at least miles better than Legend and Anniversary:

1.Sprint
2.Far better swimming than those games(Where swimming in Legend and Anniversary was worse than PS1 TR games)
3.Far better level design(Since it's not small rooms being connected by long and empty corridors)
4.Far less QTEs.
5.Much better puzzles.
6.Motorcycle(Which in Legend was so limited and boring and Anniversary didn't have that)

I personally had no problems with controls and camera and don't know why you people had problems with that.
Also story was never that important in first TR games so I had no problem with that.

The worst Crystal Dynamic TR game is the 2013 one.(The RE 6 of the TR franchise with this difference that media/reviewers loved it unlike RE 6)

Also Underworld is miles better than AOD.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 18:59   #27
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Underworld is at least miles better than Legend and Anniversary:

1.Sprint
2.Far better swimming than those games(Where swimming in Legend and Anniversary was worse than PS1 TR games)
3.Far better level design(Since it's not small rooms being connected by long and empty corridors)
4.Far less QTEs.
5.Much better puzzles.
6.Motorcycle(Which in Legend was so limited and boring and Anniversary didn't have that)

I personally had no problems with controls and camera and don't know why you people had problems with that.
Also story was never that important in first TR games so I had no problem with that.

The worst Crystal Dynamic TR game is the 2013 one.(The RE 6 of the TR franchise with this difference that media/reviewers loved it unlike RE 6)

Also Underworld is miles better than AOD.
I respect your opinions but, no corridors? The game basically starting from Mexico was all about long, dark, cave-like corridors...
Old 27-08-19, 20:35   #28
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Most of these are the result of fanservice:
Shoehorning Natla to their third game to please Classic fans,
People wanting Lara to go to ‘tombs’, which is just remote locations on the earth.
The ‘we don’t want outfits, ‘cause Classic games didn’t have it’ attitude.
We want pRoPeRr secrets, ala the Classics, which are ancient cups, or golden skulls, or golden roses.
‘We want an TR game urgently’
before i get into this i want to say that i got into the series in 2014 w/ tr2013, so i don't have the perspective of having been in the fandom in 2008. that aside, here are my thoughts.

i think adding natla and amanda both wasn't the issue, it was more the problem of "ok we're going from arthurian myth to norse very quickly" and it should've been built up more and slowly revealed. uncovering that the monomyth presented in TR:L actually stems from norse mythology, and that it turns out excalibur is like... actually some norse sword that arthur found, would be a lot more gratifying than natla going "oh btw we're doing norse **** now "

to counter your third point, we did get changeable outfits, even if it's just "choose what to wear out of this predetermined set per level". tbh i personally have no problem with how you find treasures/relics as it is now. breaking open pots to find silver octagons was weird and different but not awful. my issue was the lack of beneficial rewards

the core design games (well, the ones that actually have secrets) all reward you with ammo or health when you find a secret. since TR:L decided to just let you trade out bigger guns as you find them for a hint of realism, (doesn't make sense for lara to be carting around 5+ guns, after all) it obviously wouldn't make any sense to add weapons and ammo to secrets. hence the reward system, seemingly borrowed from TRII. and of course in TR:L, you're given costumes, cheat codes, pistol power ups, concept art, etc.

TR:U fails here with its attempt to streamline the reward-giving process. it reduced the number of cheats to 3 and you can enable them at any time; you can select your outfit before beginning a level; and you start off with all weapons. so what else is there to add? relics give an HP boost but that's the only substantial gameplay benefit.

actual unlockables would've been sweet. here are some ideas off the top of my head...

90 treasures - silver mini-SMGs (2x strength compared to normal SMGs, with high-capacity magazines)
179 treasures - golden rifle (ultra long-distance and high firepower, with high-capacity magazine)
all mediterranean sea treasures - (tbh nothing is needed here, you're given the swimsuit for treasure hunt)
all coastal thailand treasures - TR:L Biker added to this area's outfit select
all croft manor treasures - TR:L Sport added to this area's outfit select
all southern mexico treasures - TRIII Nevada recolor of Jungle Pants added to this area's outfit select
all jan mayen treasures - TR:L Winter added to this area's outfit select
all arctic sea treasures - Classic Outfit recolor of Jungle Shorts added to this area's outfit select (just a recolor so as not to negate the actual classic-inspired outfit in the DLC; tbh it'd probably look just like Guardian of Light's main outfit)
all relics - (as well as the HP boosts) choose any outfit in any locale
beat on master survivalist difficulty - infinite ammo option added to each area's weapon select (press the Interact Button to toggle on/off)

but instead, we get... concept art... and storyboards... joy.

Last edited by LateRaider; 27-08-19 at 20:45.
Old 27-08-19, 20:46   #29
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
A very detailed post... plz read it.
Most of the things regarding the reward system is because of the fans themselves. During Anniversary’s release time, everyone was like “we don’t need a remake, we want Legend II NOW!!!” And they rushed everything about it. There was going to be a replayable cutscene option and replay any level with any outfit just like in Leg. and Anni. There was also going to be a photo mode which was already there during E3 in the PDA menu. It just got released abruptly. Eidos, Eidos, Eidos, Eidos!?! Hmmm, I think no one learned from AOD...
Old 27-08-19, 20:50   #30
LateRaider
Inactive

wow thats horrible. thanks for the info. so it seems eidos screwed up yet another amazing TR concept... ugh. no wonder Square Enix acquired them