Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 06-10-19, 18:00   #27841
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
*looks at the success of games like Dark souls and RE2 remake*

Pfttt yeah right.
Yeah I don't 100% agree but it is pretty understandable given that this was back during the time of Underworld. Dark Souls was pretty revolutionary with it's difficulty.

I'm definitely hoping that they take inspiration from RE2make for the future titles, since some of the gameplay elements are pretty in line with TR.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 18:23   #27842
VictorXD

Yeah I can see their point, but at the end of the day there were still a lot of routes they could have taken to please both kind of buyers. Shadow's difficulty levels are a good example. TRU featured some of that, but it was truly too little too late. The most important feature for example like the white ledges being optional should have been there since Legend, and TRU needed a lot of fixing in most other departments anyway.

To this day I still think it was mostly a lack of vision and creativity.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 18:32   #27843
TrustyBow

Quote:
Yeah I can see their point, but at the end of the day there were still a lot of routes they could have taken to please both kind of buyers. Shadow's difficulty levels are a good example. TRU featured some of that, but it was truly too little too late. The most important feature for example like the white ledges being optional should have been there since Legend, and TRU needed a lot of fixing in most other departments anyway.

To this day I still think it was mostly a lack of vision and creativity.
As great as Legend's was, it's pretty insane to look at the drop in difficulty. I mean we went from the classics to what is almost objectively the easiest game in the series.

By the time Underworld came around, we should have, at the very least, been at the level that Shadow's at.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 18:35   #27844
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
*looks at the success of games like Dark souls and RE2 remake*

Pfttt yeah right.
I was literally about to quote that segment and say the exact same thing mentioning the Soulsborne games, glad I saw your comment in time lol
———

I believe there’s still a market for challenging games, but to be completely honest, I also kinda see the point he was trying to make... partially.

On one hand it’s undeniable that a portion of the gaming audience still likes to be challenged and actively seeks hard games to test their skills and show off how to “git gud” and whatnot, the success of the aforementioned games is proof of that. However, this is -sadly- mostly limited to the combat department.

The difficulty of the classic TRs focused on specific elements, like a mix between outdated controls w/ grid system + puzzle solving integrated within exploration, both combined, whereas combat was very basic and not the highlight of the challenge except maybe for a few exceptions. In this regard, the trends undoubtedly changed and a hard game that puts clunky controls & classic-styled gameplay at the forefront of the challenge isn’t as marketable as it was in the 90s/early 2000s.

I too doubt that what (most of us) die-hard classic fans would want to see would grant enough profit in the end, sad as it is. I don’t see Tomb Raider appealing to a wider audience unless it heavily alters most of its core elements, which leads us back to Lindstrom’s point.

Could it have still been done differently, and probably better? No brainer for me, but I’m trying to look at this issue from an objective pov, and not what I personally would like to see.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 18:47   #27845
Chamayoo

Hey, that was a comment back in 2009. I believe in this time, the market didn't believe on the hardcore/challenged gameplay worse than today. This was literally the "Wii" era.
As some pointed, look at Dark Souls (2011) and RE2 Remake (2019). Look at all the super hard mode featured in AAA today.
Shadow is really promising in these regard and I hope they will go further. Make the game more challenging and... make it easier for casual at the same time, according to the option the costumer wants.
Now "games for everyone" has a real meaning, not the hypocritical one : for newcomers... and seasoned ones.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 06-10-19 at 18:51.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 22:03   #27846
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Hey, that was a comment back in 2009. I believe in this time, the market didn't believe on the hardcore/challenged gameplay worse than today. This was literally the "Wii" era.
As some pointed, look at Dark Souls (2011) and RE2 Remake (2019). Look at all the super hard mode featured in AAA today.
Shadow is really promising in these regard and I hope they will go further. Make the game more challenging and... make it easier for casual at the same time, according to the option the costumer wants.
Now "games for everyone" has a real meaning, not the hypocritical one : for newcomers... and seasoned ones.
What?
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 22:29   #27847
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
I still think the Ask Eric thread after Tomb Raider Underworld has to be one of the most epic (pun intended) threads of the TRF's history. I still love reading trough it, it was really interesting to have direct conversations with someone who had been that involved on the LAU trilogy.

Here's the thread for anyone who's interested.
i liked this quote:

"Comparing Crystal's Lara with Core's Lara is tricky...I could ask you to compare Core's TR1 Lara with TR5 Lara with AoD's Lara. She's been expressed in many ways. I of course like Legend and Underworld best, but I am completely not objective about this."

he's right. can you guys honestly imagine TRI lara saying "whatever"?
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 22:33   #27848
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i liked this quote:

"Comparing Crystal's Lara with Core's Lara is tricky...I could ask you to compare Core's TR1 Lara with TR5 Lara with AoD's Lara. She's been expressed in many ways. I of course like Legend and Underworld best, but I am completely not objective about this."

he's right. can you guys honestly imagine TRI lara saying "whatever"?
No, cause she's a different person at that moment in time.
As gay mick once said
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 23:13   #27849
LateRaider
Inactive

if u say so
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 02:55   #27850
PS3_Gamer

Default I'm getting the game tommorow!

I'll receive Shadow of the Tomb Raider tomorrow for the PS4. I can't wait!
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote