www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 30-05-21, 14:29   #241
Jathom95
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Personally, I think that Tomb Raider Anniversary is one of the worst games made by Crystal Dynamics. It is bad not only as a tribute to the 1996 Tomb Raider, but also as a game from its generation. It was a huge step backwards after Tomb Raider Legend (if you look at it as a game, not part of the Tomb Raider series). I like the original Tomb Raider much more than Anniversary, too.
My problem with Anniversary personally is that it tries to sell itself as a modern take on a classic while simultaneously trying to tie it to the LAU timeline.

Crystal should've just honestly scrapped the Anniversary concept altogether and just made a second game focused on the LAU trilogy completely. Hell, the only reason they made Anniversary in the first place was because of Core's attempt and then convincing Eidos that it was better to keep the games contained within one company.

The butchered level design and some of the character revisions (Could Natla be any more obviously evil in Anniversary?) make it much, much less appealing than the original imo.
Old 30-05-21, 16:12   #242
LateRaider
Professor

TR:A is my favorite of the franchise, but I can't deny that their cuts to the levels made no sense. To remove the side rooms of Atlantis LV 2, to remove anything interesting about the Coliseum, to merge the Cistern and Tomb of Tihocan... What bad ideas all around. In regards to the Coliseum in particular, I remember doing its Time Trial and not having to try, especially. I completed the timed challenge with no problems my first time through.
Old 30-05-21, 16:29   #243
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
It was a huge step backwards after Tomb Raider Legend (if you look at it as a game, not part of the Tomb Raider series).
What makes you think so ? I think Anniversary did everything better except for story, music and combat.
Edit : + having big white ledges, not good I admit haha.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 30-05-21 at 16:50.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-21, 17:52   #244
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
What makes you think so ? I think Anniversary did everything better except for story, music and combat.
First, outdated technology. Anniversary was a last generation game (at first released only for PS2 and PC without the next-gen mode, later Xbox 360 and PS3 releases were not a true next-gen versions) whereas Legend was a next generation game (the next-gen mode on PC and the Xbox 360 edition on the release day).

Second, Crystals lost a superb design of environments and levels and attention to details in Anniversary. There are a lot of different and unique elements in the architecture of Legend levels. In Anniversary, the environments contain a lot less elements and variety, they are more empty. Moreover, in Legend they are consistent and make sense whereas in Anniversary they have many strange and irrational elements.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-21, 18:09   #245
SnatchingEdges
Professor

Quote:
Second, Crystals lost a superb design of environments and levels and attention to details in Anniversary. There are a lot of different and unique elements in the architecture of Legend levels. In Anniversary, the environments contain a lot less elements and variety, they are more empty. Moreover, in Legend they are consistent and make sense whereas in Anniversary they have many strange and irrational elements.
This makes a worse graphic/art design but no way a step back as a videogame, considering the improved duration, puzzles, difficulty, exploration and secrets, which makes an action adventure game a videogame in the first place.

@LaterRaider There was nothing interesting in the OG Colosseum to begin with. It was a short level with a big square, doors very separated from each other and an annoying amount of enemies that rival TR2.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 30-05-21 at 18:10.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-21, 19:56   #246
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
This makes a worse graphic/art design but no way a step back as a videogame, considering the improved duration, puzzles, difficulty, exploration and secrets, which makes an action adventure game a videogame in the first place.
You are talking about something different. I am saying about improvements implied by subsequent generations of games, you – about subjective characteristics independent of games generations.

We could also say that the 1996 Tomb Raider wouldn't be a step back with regards to Anniversary if it had been released in 2008, because it has all these elements better. If Anniversary has these elements better than in Legend or not is just a matter of taste, some people like these elements in Legend, some – in Anniversary. So for you Anniversary is a step forth, but for someone else it is a step back.

I am saying about standards implied by generations of video games. For instance, presence of some graphics effects (like a certain kind of shadows and lighting) is standard in Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games (this doesn't apply to games which are not realistic on purpose). Moreover, it is a standard of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games to have textures of a certain resolution and quality.

Attention to details and the number of many varied elements in environments increase in subsequent generations of games. For instance, compare Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to Grand Theft Auto IV.

Last edited by Mek; 30-05-21 at 20:01.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-21, 21:27   #247
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
First, outdated technology. Anniversary was a last generation game (at first released only for PS2 and PC without the next-gen mode, later Xbox 360 and PS3 releases were not a true next-gen versions) whereas Legend was a next generation game (the next-gen mode on PC and the Xbox 360 edition on the release day).

Thank you for your explanation !

To be fair, the 360 version of Legend wasn't a true next gen game either, but it was a nice and beautiful remastered version of the game. While it is just my opinion, the next gen version on PC was a failure, glitchy, colourless and not well optimized. The lighting was a success though.

I didn't notice a lack of details compared to Legend, I thought both were on the same level, very good looking PS2 era games. However I can understand the irrational aspect of some environments in Anniversary, they tended to privilege the traversal to keep the gameplay interesting and fun rather than the believity of the environment you visited... Tbh I don't mind this approach.
Old 31-05-21, 19:48   #248
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Personally, I think that Tomb Raider Anniversary is one of the worst games made by Crystal Dynamics. It is bad not only as a tribute to the 1996 Tomb Raider, but also as a game from its generation. It was a huge step backwards after Tomb Raider Legend (if you look at it as a game, not part of the Tomb Raider series). I like the original Tomb Raider much more than Anniversary, too.
I've only played three games that have been made by Crystal Dynamics (LAU) and I can't say that I think particularly highly of any of them. I'd say I liked Anniversary the most but still have a negative opinion of it.
Old 09-07-21, 21:30   #249
Frceghst8
Student

Default To all who have posted on this thread

Everyone has good points as to the flaws of TRA. Just i.m.o, TRA wasn't the worst in the series. That title goes to TR Chronicles. Getting back to TRA, my issues are: 1. They didn't need to change the story line, 2. The T Rex fight is forced, 3. The level designs from the original game didn't need to be changed (graphics update yes, but that's it). I definitely wouldn't have changed the lost valley level the way they did. Fog on the ground and some stars in the night sky would been the only additions I would have made. Closing : I might have added the wall walking thing, but that could be improved also.

Last edited by Frceghst8; 10-07-21 at 00:03.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-21, 13:36   #250
RAID
Tomb Raider

Default To anyone who might be stuck in Anniversary

Here is how you do it.

Jump and grab the ledge. From there, jump and grab the ledge above it, then jump to grab the one above that one. From the, you need to jump to the ledge on the opposite side, then jump to the one on the side. From that one, jump to the one above it, and the one above that, and the one above that.

There you have it. Repeat the above process for all levels and you beat the game.