www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 16-06-21, 13:14   #161
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Well at least that worked. And the plot for Classic TR games were great and there was innovation with each game.
Yes that explains the diminishing returns and decreasing sales. Not to mention the team getting so depressed and sick of working on the games to the point where they wanted to kill Lara off.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 13:17   #162
lance6439
Legend

Didnít say it was a good thing but it worked in terms of story and gameplay. You donít see any progress with any of CDs games except TRL + TRU + 2013.
Old 16-06-21, 13:19   #163
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Didnít say it was a good thing but it worked in terms of story and gameplay. You donít see any progress with any of CDs games except TRL + TRU + 2013.
Yes I do agree with you on that point. But doing the same thing over and over was always an issue with Tomb Raider. It didn't just show up with Crystal's games
Old 16-06-21, 13:21   #164
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
It's amazing though what limitation actually does for creativity. Andy Sandham even said this in an interview. The old Core games are in many ways more creative because they worked within such limitations.
I totally agree with this. One thing I notice about many older games is how the soundtracks really stand out. It's like because the games looked so crap with the primitive graphics they had back then, they really put a lot of work into making the games sound memorable.

It's actually quite rare you have a game these days that has a soundtrack as memorable as old TR or really a lot of games that were released back then. The Last of Us is an exception I can think of and Assassin's Creed also has some standouts, but for the most part they don't.

Anyway @biscuits yeah this is why I say, the series' decline as an industry-leader goes back further than 2003. It really started when Eidos got greedy and started working Core into the ground for yearly releases. So basically, only the very first, second and arguably third game in this series actually has that status for many people. I was talking with a co-worker a couple years back about gaming and Tomb Raider came up in conversation. He wasn't a hardcore fan, just a casual gamer. He asked me "when did it die for you?" and then he elaborated and said he didn't care after TR3.

I think the creativity remained in some ways. AoD had some amazing music, art and conceptual ideas that went into it and that's why it's become a cult classic, I still love it, but the burnout still showed.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 16-06-21 at 13:24.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 13:35   #165
biscuits
Relic Hunter

I agree. The series stopped being an industry leader wayyyyy back in the early 2000s when it was run into the ground. Other action adventure platformers showed up and innovated on that style of gameplay (Prince Of Persia) and ended up becoming more relevant. Lara's icon status is a huge part of the series' success, and that's a huge issue if that's all it has going for it, especially when other franchises expanded on gameplay features that Tomb Raider was acclaimed for. Zelda, MGS, Mario, or even Halo have iconic characters, yes, but those franchises don't use their protagonist's icon status as a crutch the way Tomb Raider does. They're also renowned for their other aspects.
Not to mention Lara being "the first lady of gaming" doesn't hold as much weight nowadays. We have plenty of female characters now, so the novelty is gone.

The developers spent too much time chasing other trends and aspects instead of doing their own thing instead of adding a twist or going crazy. As much as I love the reboot series, this was its biggest sin.

Last edited by biscuits; 16-06-21 at 13:37.
Old 16-06-21, 18:54   #166
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
It doesnít matter how long they spend on making the next game if thereís no room for creative freedom
As long as they don't take so long that we're all dead by the time a new game gets released.
Old 17-06-21, 16:50   #167
jumper2009
Student

Quote:
Tomb Raider needs to go to Naughty Dog.
Yikes pls no.

TR needs to be multiplatform.
Secondly a good publisher to me would be THQ Nordic.

And i agree with the OP. This anniversary is laughable. And it really doesnt help that neither square or the TR social media accounts havent denied a collection of classic games. Nah prople rather still believe in this "surprises" that never will be anything big.
It really sucks.
God i would love to play the old games on my SeriesX or PS5.
But square sadly just doesnt give a f.
jumper2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 18:14   #168
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

It's interesting because Hellblade 2 is probably in a pre-alpha/vertical slice state and years before release, and yet, the footage they've shown, shows that a structure can be established pretty quickly. It's sort of reassuring and worrying if you apply this logic to the next Tomb Raider game which is probably going to release around the same time Hellblade 2 (people are saying end of 2023, most likely).

Last edited by amiro1989; 17-06-21 at 18:18.
amiro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 20:08   #169
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
It's interesting because Hellblade 2 is probably in a pre-alpha/vertical slice state and years before release, and yet, the footage they've shown, shows that a structure can be established pretty quickly. It's sort of reassuring and worrying if you apply this logic to the next Tomb Raider game which is probably going to release around the same time Hellblade 2 (people are saying end of 2023, most likely).
I mean, I think Dallas implied that TR is somehere in that state, but they won't show anything because a lot wil change and to prevent people from jumping into conclusions. If TR is not in that state, at least it seems like it could get to it rather fast

He also said he likes to show stuff early on, but not THAT early, so I'm confident we may hear something during next year
Old 18-06-21, 11:36   #170
jajay119
Tomb Raider

To be fair I'd you have a clear vision things can come together very quickly. Dallas seems like he knows what he wants for the series moving forward which is good. I think lack of cohesion and direction from Management has always been an issue from TR right as far back as AOD.